• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tequila Cocktails

Chris Amirault

As it happens I could still stand last night, however I reflected that to make an infante at that hour would be imprudent.  But I intend to try tonight.  I noticed, by the way, that the KC recipe is not quite the same as the recipe published in the PDF linked in the KC comments.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

There are various versions of the drink, slightly different tequila/lime/orgeat ratios (2/0.75/0.75 in the Bartender's Choice app or 2/1/0.75 in the Lush Life book), some with orange or rose water, grated nutmeg, etc.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

I'm having my first infante at the moment.  Very nice indeed!

2 oz blanco

1 oz lime juice (thanks to my new Hamilton Beach)

1/2 oz orgeat

3 drops orange flower water (with a best before date of 2013)

Garnish ground nutmeg (generous).  Yellow straw.  Accompanied, of course, by salted peanuts.  I was about to go make up an infante with anejo but the bottle is almost empty.  How, how could I be so careless?  It's not as if I wasn't just at the spirits monger this evening.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The White Walker (Sky Huo via Gaz Regan) which was described as a tequila Martinez and got me scratching my head for a bit. 

Don Julio blanco tequila (Siete Leguas), Dolin dry vermouth, Luxardo maraschino liqueur, Fee Brothers lemon bitters (Boy Drinks World grapefruit bitters).  

So for it to be a Martinez riff you would need a sweet vermouth. I double checked the ingredients in the app after I had already measured everything (brief moment of panic), but it said dry vermouth. Anyway, the creator confirmed it was a typo. It's supposed to be Dolin white vermouth. Even with dry, it was delectable. Grassy and woody notes, which some richness from the maraschino. With the dry it was closer to a Tequila Martini.

20238052273_e4f9f7ed92_z.jpg

The White Walker (Sky Huo via Gaz Regan) which was described as a tequila Martinez and got me scratching my head for a bit. 

Don Julio blanco tequila (Siete Leguas), Dolin dry vermouth, Luxardo maraschino liqueur, Fee Brothers lemon bitters (Boy Drinks World grapefruit bitters).  

So for it to be a Martinez riff you would need a sweet vermouth. I double checked the ingredients in the app after I had already measured everything (brief moment of panic), but it said dry vermouth. Anyway, the creator confirmed it was a typo. It's supposed to be Dolin white vermouth. Even with dry, it was delectable. Grassy and woody notes, which some richness from the maraschino. With the dry it was closer to a Tequila Martini.

I started to make this tonight (with the blanc) and as I poured the Luxardo I realized I only had a quarter ounce left and I needed to make two drinks. I swapped in Giffard Pamplemousse instead and added a dash of celery bitters to pay tribute to one of my favorite drinks, the Ephemeral (http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/2009/05/04/3030-18-the-ephemeral-thanks-a-heap-chuck/). This obviously creates a very different drink but it was a pretty good riff in a pinch, anxious to try it as intended now.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I don't know his name, I drank this cocktail at 'The Nu Lounge' of Daniele Dalla Pola in Bologna, Italy. It was created for Agave day.

2 oz Tequila blanco Don Julio

1 oz pineapple fresh juice

1 oz passion fruit syrup

1/2 oz agave syrup

Shake and double strain

Twist w/pink salt & splash of mezcal vida

Very sweet but not cloying, delicious.

• Like 1

I am still a bit confused about the vermouth. I presume Dolin Blanc is what you mean by Dolin White in place of the Dolin Dry? That would seem to be the obvious option since it means the same thing but don't think I have seen Dolin labeled as "white" and I am easily confused!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I am still a bit confused about the vermouth. I presume Dolin Blanc is what you mean by Dolin White in place of the Dolin Dry? That would seem to be the obvious option since it means the same thing but don't think I have seen Dolin labeled as "white" and I am easily confused!

You got it right. The cocktail was created with a white vermouth, Dolin blanc. There was a typo in the app so it called for dry vermouth instead.

Transatlantic Connection (Stefano Censi via Gaz Regan*) with Ocho tequila plata, Luxardo cherry liqueur, lime juice, vanilla pod. This was nice. The cocktail let the tequila shine, which was a good thing. There was a touch of orange and vanilla in the background.

23116145639_7c223905d3_z.jpg

(*) This is in the 101 Best New Cocktails app but I cannot find it on the website for some reason

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

This one was good too, super savory with the aquavit. The green olive garnish makes complete sense given the flavor profile, but sadly I didn't have one.

Bikers Grove (Jen Riley) with Ocho tequila plata, Krogstad aquavit, Luxardo maraschino liqueur, Boy Drinks World grapefruit bitters.

23301529212_b5b40848fb_z.jpg

• 11 months later...

Tried Misty Kalkofen's Guadalajara

2 oz Siete Leguas reposado tequila (Cazadores)
1⁄2 oz Fernet Branca
1⁄2 oz 1:1 agave syrup 
2 dashes Bittermens Xocolatl Mole bitters
1 twist orange or grapefruit peel, discarded (grapefruit)

This was a curious drink. As you might expect the fernet dominated, but combined in interesting ways with other flavors that I wouldn't expect would be natural partners for eucalyptus and menthol. The finish, driven by fernet and bitters, I experienced as a numb tingling almost like novocaine. 

IMG_2500.png

• 9 months later...

The Wall Street Journal reported on the trend towards bat safe tequilas.  I am a bit afraid of bats myself but I will try to support those brands.  There is a special bat symbol on the bottles.

Chocolate is fertilized by flies.  Who knew agave is fertilized by bats?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Craig E said:

To ease your mind, I think it's rare that they make it through the distillation process! :D

...unlike the chickens and mescal de pechuga.

• 6 months later...

Mexican Razor Blade
by Dan Greenbaum, Attaboy, New York, New York (USA)

• 2 slices Cucumber
  • 2 oz Tequila 
  • 1 oz Lime juice
  • 3/4 oz Simple

Garnish with pinch of cayenne on a floating cucumber slice.

I muddled the cukes before realizing the spec said simply to include them in the shake.

The cayenne slid off the garnish slice on the walk from the bar to the table, but that's a small matter.

This was terrific! Benefits no doubt from good tequila (I like the Tesoro Platinum I used). 

mexicanrazorblade 1.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig E said:

Mexican Razor Blade
by Dan Greenbaum, Attaboy, New York, New York (USA)

• 2 slices Cucumber
  • 2 oz Tequila 
  • 1 oz Lime juice
  • 3/4 oz Simple

Garnish with pinch of cayenne on a floating cucumber slice.

I muddled the cukes before realizing the spec said simply to include them in the shake.

The cayenne slid off the garnish slice on the walk from the bar to the table, but that's a small matter.

This was terrific! Benefits no doubt from good tequila (I like the Tesoro Platinum I used). 

mexicanrazorblade 1.png

It looks good! The original version with genever gin is worth trying as well.

Many years ago we were introduced to a cocktail called a Charro. It's essentially like a Paloma except it's made with either Coke (Charro Negro) or 7-up/Sprite (Charro Blanco). Tequila, lime juice, pinch of salt and either Coke or 7-up. Very refreshing on a hot summer day, and therefore slightly dangerous because they go down so easily.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

• 3 months later...

Australians love their lemon-lime and bitters. A standard drink for designated drivers. They come in bottles but a good bar will mix lemonade (like Sprite, not american style) with lime and Angostura bitters. 

But grapefruit soda is hard to come by so I was excited to find soda grapefruit lime and bitters for a Paloma. I used 2 oz of a somewhat ordinary blanco, squeezed 2 wedges of lime and topped with the soda. A little sprinkle of pink salt as garnish. The bitters are a nice touch.

551287.jpg

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.