• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tequila Cocktails

Chris Amirault

Can always make a sangrita to go along with your tequila.

4 medium tomatoes, peels and seeds removed

juice of 3 oranges and 2 limes

1 chopped white onion

1-2 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

1-2 tsp cayenne

Blend all ingredients in blender, serve with a chilled shot of tequila.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Muddle a couple of basil leaves in tequila and fill with ginger ale and ice. Very tasty and refreshing on a hot day.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

That´s the type of recipe I don't want to know more about, because it's more than one alcohol ingredient.

Danne, if you don't mind my asking (and I think it might help us make suggestions for you). . . why don't you want more than one alcohol ingredient? You would accept a drink with 5 non-alcohol ingredients plus tequila, but not a drink with 1 non-alcohol and one alcohol ingredient plus tequila? That doesn't make sense to me, but if you'd share your reasoning maybe it would.

If you're looking for essentially two ingredient drinks like a tequila and orange juice, I'm not sure why you'd need suggestions. Just try many variations of tequila plus _____.

--

Not being a tequila fan myself (it's the one of the very few liquors I don't care for) I can offer only limited assistance, but a couple that I know offhand are La Paloma, which is tequila, lime, a pinch of salt in a tall glass topped off with grapefruit soda, and if you're not opposed to folling around with infusions, this one has been a hit around my house:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/beverages/amante.html

And just in passing, my tequila prejudice is not a result of having horrible tequila or getting sick off of it :-P I really just never cared for it (I think it's the 'funk' in it, since I'm also not big on cachaca or Maraschino liqueur).

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Danne, if you don't mind my asking (and I think it might help us make suggestions for you). . . why don't you want more than one alcohol ingredient?  You would accept a drink with 5 non-alcohol ingredients plus tequila, but not a drink with 1 non-alcohol and one alcohol ingredient plus tequila?  That doesn't make sense to me, but if you'd share your reasoning maybe it would.

If you're looking for essentially two ingredient drinks like a tequila and orange juice, I'm not sure why you'd need suggestions.  Just try many variations of tequila plus _____.

I'm setting up a big list of drinks with only one alcohol ingridient.

Vodka and infused vodka is really easy, rum was also easy.

I'm having a lot of truble with Tequila.

Some problems with Gin, I got; Gin&Tonic, Tom Collins and Gimlet.

Whisk(e)y, got; Irish coffe, Oldfashioned, Mint Julep and Horse's neck.

On Tequila I only got, Tequila sunrise and Mexicola.

If anyone has some more drinks that you can add to my list on Gin, Whisk(e)y and Tequila I would be really glad.

My goal is to have more than 5 drinks in each category, but I haven´t started looking for Gin and Whisk(e)y I started with Tequila since that´s the hardest one.

I just wrote the drinks I knew in my head.

Edited by Danne (log)

Okay, but what I'm wondering is why you're setting up a big list of drinks with only one alcohol ingredient. Is there some taste-based reason? Economic? Philosophical?

I ask because, while there are a number of good and complex one-spirit drinks (the Jack Rose comes to mind), limiting yourself to one alcholic ingredient only is... well... very limiting.

--

The Chimayo Cocktail uses cassis but one might be able to substitute a black currant syrup like the ones from D'Arbo. (I haven't made subbed it for this drink but have used it in some other applications where Cassis was called for.)

Chimayo Cocktail

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

There is the Sugar plumb. THANK YOU M&H

Tequila, Pomagranete molassas, lime, dash of simple.

I just came up with one that is;

2.0 oz. tequila

.75 oz. simple

.75 oz.lime

And then take chipotle, tomato juice, black pepper.

Shake first three. Strain into a glass that has a pool of last three at the bottom. Garnish with a sugar coated lime.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

• 2 months later...

Been fiddling a bit with this variation on the "Margarita Castaneda," which now has a bit more kick to it:

3 oz añejo tequila (Sauza Commemorativo)

1 oz lime juice

1 oz grapefruit juice

1/2 oz Cointreau

1/2 oz grenadine

pinch salt

pinch roasted Thai chile pepper

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

i made a drink called the La Mojada (female conjugation of the wetness)....and its made with my "tequila por mi amante" which is an aphrodesiac flower infused anejo....creole shrub....juice of a lime....

the tequila has enough agave nectar in it to balance out the rest of the lime juice after the shrub.....

the aphrodesiac flowers give the anejo a chamomile like quality over tropical fruit like notes in the particular anejo....

the placebo effect in people is very strong so the drink has a cult following but i've gotten bored with it and need to reinvent it....

those apple ideas are brilliant because they may pair well with the chamomile like qualities....

so what can you do with tequila and herbs? someone mentioned basil earlier...

i wonder if i could get away with a grapefruit sour and a spoonful of creme de cocoa then hope for magic.....off to the lab....

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Mmmmm, tequila! I feel like so many people in the US are introduced to it under horrible circumstances—bad tequila in bad margaritas.

I visited Encanto, the new New Mexican restaurant in my neighborhood, this past Saturday and was treated to two delicious tequila cocktails:

The Tangerine Shot - Herradurra Reposado with fresh tangerine juice. Smooth and a little sweet.

El Dorado - Sauza Hornitos tequila, muddled lemon and honey. Refreshing!

I can't wait until they open their deck for the summer and I can enjoy these cocktails outside on their patio.

For those interested, the newly published March/April issue of Imbibe has a feature on tequila by Senior Editor Kate Darling, here's a link to the piece online, but the print edition has tasting notes and recipes:

http://www.imbibemagazine.com/feat_2.html

my motto: taste, savor, share

circulation manager, imbibe magazine

celebrate the world in a glass

• 1 month later...

Had my first couple of Diablos this evening. Very tasty beverage! The tequila and cassis play well together. This might be my new fave warm weather tequila delivery system.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 years later...

Wow.... Three years and nothing going on. Here are a few thoughts to make up for lost time.

I have really enjoyed the Prado, a Stan Jones drink which Paul Clarke wrote about a few years back:

1 1/2 oz tequila

3/4 oz lime

1/2 oz Maraschino

1/2 egg white

I've made and enjoyed that a few times, and tonight I started wondering what would happen if you crossed a Prado with jmfangio's Marguerita and started tinkering. Given the flowery nose, here's the working title:

Flor de Agave Azul

1 1/2 oz blanco tequila (I'm using up Patron and eager to get Chinaco)

3/4 oz lime

1/2 oz St. Germain

dash Fee's orange

scant 1/2 oz simple

small egg white (or two drinks with a large egg white)

Hard shake; shake again with lots of ice; strain. Orange twist -- or try 2-3 drops of orange flower water.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

This works pretty well for a light, summery drink.

1.5 oz. blanco tequila

1.5 oz. Noilly Prat Dry (skant)

.5 oz lemon

.5 oz simple

3 thick slices cucumber

In a shaker, muddle cucumber into vermouth. Add remaining ingredients and ice, shake and double-strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish somehow.

Don't have a name yet. I'm tired of naming drinks after Mexican stuff just because they use tequila. I half-seriously want to call it the Snozzcumber, after the ubiquitous vegetable in Roald Dahl's The BFG. But no one would ever order it.

Edited by Kohai (log)

Pip Hanson | Marvel Bar

I made this up to bring to my quarterly "foodies" dinner, this particular one Mexican. The international ingredients aren't exactly authentic, but it was a big hit (except for one wrinkled nose that wouldn't try a bitter-tinged cocktail).

Quatro Naranjas (Four Oranges)

1 oz Tequila, Anejo

2/3 oz Aperol

1/3 oz Campari

1/3 oz Creole Shrubb

2/3 oz Lime

1 dash Angostura Orange

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

My Spanish isn't what I'd like it to be, but shouldn't this be 'Quatras Naranjas'? Can anybody confirm or deny?

I believe it should be Cuatro Naranjas...unless the interlingua 'quatro' was intentional based on the various ingredient sources. Four is not an adjective, thus making it feminine would not be appropriate.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

My Spanish isn't what I'd like it to be, but shouldn't this be 'Quatras Naranjas'? Can anybody confirm or deny?

I believe it should be Cuatro Naranjas...unless the interlingua 'quatro' was intentional based on the various ingredient sources. Four is not an adjective, thus making it feminine would not be appropriate.

Er...cuatro, right. Too early in the morning to be bilingual.

Used in a sentence (eg, There are four oranges) it could be an adjective, no? (Hay cuatras naranjas).

Hmm...google translator goes both ways. Guess I should have studied more in that class, then I would know for sure.

Looks like a good drink at any rate.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Er...cuatro, right. Too early in the morning to be bilingual.

Used in a sentence (eg, There are four oranges) it could be an adjective, no? (Hay cuatras naranjas).

Hmm...google translator goes both ways. Guess I should have studied more in that class, then I would know for sure.

Looks like a good drink at any rate.

It's been a long time since I studied, but I'm pretty sure numbers doesn't get altered like adjectives (except the number one, to the extent it is also the indefinite article). You'd say, "Yo tengo cuatro naranjas pequeñas." (I have four small oranges.) Or, "Yo tengo una naranja pequeña" (I have a/one small orange.)

Yes, the drink does sound tasty.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Had my first couple of Diablos this evening. Very tasty beverage! The tequila and cassis play well together. This might be my new fave warm weather tequila delivery system.

I love Diablos. If we're including highballs in this thread, a similar drink that I go back to often is the Rosarita Highball, one of Dale DeGroff's originals:

1 1/2 oz tequila

1/2 oz cassis

1/4 oz lime juice

4 oz ginger ale

Cucumber slice for garnish

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

• 2 weeks later...

Tequila is by far my favorite spirit!!

I've been messing around with a new recipe but i think it's good enough for now. No name for it yet though

1 1/2 oz Don Julio Blanco

3/4 Cranberry Juice

1/2 Lime Juice

1 tspn Campari

2 tspn Homemade Grenadine

Shake and strain in a chilled cocktail glass

Paulo Freitas

Bartender @ Bar do Copa (Copacabana Palace, Rio de Janeiro - Brazil)

http://www.bardocopa.com.br

Reading the tart profile of Paulo's drink reminded me of an order I got the other day from a customer who wanted 2 oz blanco tequila, the juice of half a lime, rocks. "No simple?" "Nope." "No triple sec?" "Nope."

I convinced him to let me muddle the lime in pieces and double strain the result over fresh ice. Turned out to be a bracing but surprisingly tasty drink, not balanced in a classical sense but in the direction (to use bostonapothecary's concept) a palate-cleansing, uber-dry Caipirinha.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

This pretty much works for every base spirit, but I like it particularly with a dryish reposado. Not my drink, for sure. I think the method was first introduced to me (in reverse style) by Phil Ward with his chamomile-infused rye.

1.5oz tequila

1oz blanc/bianco vermouth

.5oz lemon

.5oz 1:1 simple (or slightly less)

Shake and strain into a highball glass with ice and top with soda.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.