• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions for a crepe party?

Teri Everitt

Well, I was going to have the Food on a Stick Party II........but after reading through the crepes cookoff thread, I bought a crepe pan instead. (Although I really don't feel I've fully explored the world of food on a stick).

Anyway, I'm planning to make plain crepes that can be filled with sweet or savoury fillings, buckwheat crepes as well as the chocolate crepes from the cookoff thread.

I want to have various fillings, such as ham, cheeses, a garlic and herb bechamel, poached eggs, caramelised apples, sweetened mascarpone cheese, nutella, fresh fruit, sausage, whipped cream, spinach, chicken, sauteed mushrooms, etc and just let people choose what they'd like in their crepes.

So..........hypothetically:

If you were invited to a crepe party, what would you want to put in your crepes? Am I missing anything obvious?

If only I'd worn looser pants....

Well, I was going to have the Food on a Stick Party II........but after reading through the crepes cookoff thread, I bought a crepe pan instead.  (Although I really don't feel I've fully explored the world of food on a stick).

Anyway, I'm planning to make plain crepes that can be filled with sweet or savoury fillings,  buckwheat crepes as well as the chocolate crepes from the cookoff thread.

I want to have various fillings, such as ham, cheeses, a garlic and herb bechamel, poached eggs, caramelised apples, sweetened mascarpone cheese, nutella, fresh fruit, sausage, whipped cream, spinach, chicken, sauteed mushrooms, etc and just let people choose what they'd like in their crepes.

So..........hypothetically:

If you were invited to a crepe party, what would you want to put in your crepes?  Am I missing anything obvious?

Creme de Marrons. Vanilla enhanced sweet chestnut paste. It's the best with crepes.

You might want to try making some filled and baked dishes which will help you cut down on last minute prep time. I make a really simple manicotti with crepes filled with ricotta, parmesan, and basil. Bind with an egg, fill crepes, and place pieces of mozzarella inside. Arrange filled crepes in a baking dish, top with tomato sauce and more mozzarella, bake and devour.

Also, grand marnier is a must have for sweet crepes.

Try Chicken and Mushroom Roulades in Julia Child's The Way to Cook. FANTASTIC!

I usu. add fresh spinach to the mix, but be sure to cook the *! out of it. :shock:

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I'd want some cajeta to make Mexican-style caramel crepes.

There's a great recipe in one of Bayless's books, and a rather lengthy recipe here:

Crepas con cajeta

The recipe I linked to tells you how to make the cajeta. I sure wouldn't even consider doing that when you can buy wonderful cajeta at any Mexican grocery store.

Crepas con cajeta (or crepes with caramel sauce) is a traditional Mexican dessert. It's basically a couple of crepes served with warm cajeta poured over, sometimes accompanied with sauteed plantains or bananas, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

I'd suggest you research this simple dish and include it.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

fill the crepes with dulce de leche and serve with apple slices on the side. Of really good apples.

(idea freely pilfered from Pampa)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I seem to remember people in the crepes cook-off threaf having some success with freezing crepes and then reheating them when needed. Doing this would probably make hosting a crepe party much much less stressful.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I've done a few crepe parties and your list looks good. There's just so much you can do with this. Here are some more ideas for you:

scramble egg

caramelized onion

marinated/roasted vegetables (beel pepper, artichoke, etc.)

chicken/egg/tuna/salmon salad

smoked salmon with fixings (thinly sliced red onion, cream cheese, hard boiled egg, capers, etc.)

ice cream/gelato/sorbet

spring mix/pasta salad/couscous salad on the side

Any option to think about is doing themes, like having a section of Mexican fillngs (what you would put in burrito/taco), a section of Mediterranean fillings (kebabs, hummus, tabouli) and a section of Asian fillings (roast duck, curry chicken, etc.). I'm actually considering that idea for my friend's daughter's birthday party.

One of my favourite memories of Morocco is having crepes with cheese--I'm not sure what kind it was (gouda? edam? gruyere?), but it was just a light sprinkling of cheese in the middle. People always want to go fancy with crepe fillings, but I think simple cheese is the best.

Don't stop with fillings, flavored crepes are wonderful too. I try to keep some in the freezer to jazz up leftovers. Chives, lemon pepper, ginger, orange rum, basil, spinach, curry, all make wonderful crepe flavors to accent the fillings. I like the idea of the colors these ingredients lend to the crepes too. My first crepe pan was a Ron Popeil and it is till in use after thrity years.

Check the local used book stores, there were hundreds of crepe cookery books published in the late 60s and early 70' that have some fun recipes in them. They make great inspirations for new combinations..

I seem to remember people in the crepes cook-off threaf having some success with freezing crepes and then reheating them when needed. Doing this would probably make hosting a crepe party much much less stressful.

I do plan to freeze the crepes. I am not the stressed out type when I have people over. Sometimes I don't even bother to wear socks and shoes. :biggrin:

Great suggestions everyone. I'm a little embarrassed that I forgot the chestnut puree since I work in a bakery that sells imported French foods. There is a pretty good Latin market near me, so I can buy Cajeta too.

If only I'd worn looser pants....

Seared Scallops and shrimp or crab, or lobsters with a nice mornay or thermadore sauce are very nice.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

• 2 weeks later...
There is a pretty good Latin market near me, so I can buy Cajeta too.

Hope you bought some and tried it. It's my favorite simple dessert after a Mexican meal. Fold your heated crepes into quarters, and arrange attractively on your plate. Heat the cajeta. Spoon a little of the warmed caramel over the folded crepes. Serve with a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream alongside.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Great suggestions everyone.  I'm a little embarrassed that I forgot the chestnut puree since I work in a bakery that sells imported French foods.  There is a pretty good Latin market near me, so I can buy Cajeta too.

If you work at a bakery that imports French food and they sell chestnut honey, then add that to your list. I loved the chestnut honey with my crepes that I also filled with sour cherry jam. Yum! Tell your guests that a little goes a long way.

You could also make flavored pastry creams:

chocolate

mango

pistachio

vanilla

Edited by Swisskaese (log)