• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen cream cheese transfers

cakezilla

I have an order for a red velvet cake due this Friday. I'm looking to do a company logo on the top of the cake, but my handwriting sucks (always has, always will). When it comes to handwriting, I opt for a frozen buttercream transfer, however I am a bit hesitant to place a FBCT on top of a cake with has been iced with cream cheese frosting- I dont see it becoming a tasty addition. SO.... I'm curious to know if a frozen cream cheese transfer would work in its place. Is their enough fat going on in there? Would it easily remove itself from a sheet of parchment?

I am a bit hesitant to place a FBCT on top of a cake with has been iced with cream cheese frosting- I dont see it becoming a tasty addition. SO.... I'm curious to know if a frozen cream cheese transfer would work in its place. Is their enough fat going on in there? Would it easily remove itself from a sheet of parchment?

For the record, I combine buttercream and cream cheese all the time. I refuse to do wedding cakes with cream cheese icing on the outside, but I do use cream cheese icing as the filling. The outside is buttercream (or whatever other acceptable finish the bride has chosen.) So as far as buttercream not being tasty with cream cheese icing.....I disagree......it tastes fine.

So, that being said, you're fine with using a buttercream transfer on your cream cheese icing.

However, if you still want to try a cream cheese icing transfer, I would do a test run for sure.

I know the nature of cream cheese icing is to not be as "clean" and it's kind of "rubberier" for

lack of a better word. Perhaps using a sheet of acetate, rather than parchment would work better,

or maybe you could lightly spray the parchment with cooking spray, or put a very light coat of shortening or butter on it so the cream cheese would release easier. :wink:

I agree with Annie that the buttercream would be very fine with cream cheese.

Some people use chocolate to do those transfers and chocolate goes with everything.

I just saw an amazing cd about run-in sugar or umm, it's also called, colorflow.

The genius lady, Ana Laura Ruiz Pulido, put waxed paper on top of the picture and outlined major stuff, but not everything, then filled in. Let it dry and added details after it dried. Including amazing shading with powders & dusts, added 3-d affects. It was awesome! Just really taken to a new level that I had not seen before. These cover whole cake tops.

I totally agree that buttercream goes perfectly well with cream cheese icing as a filling. This is also what I do because it it near impossible to get cream cheese icing to the same colour as buttercream icing when icing a stacked or mult-tiered cake with different flavoured cake layers. So I don't see any issues with combining the two for your purposes.

I would do a test run too. I have had some problems with bleed-out of certain colours when using cream cheese icings once refrigerated. I would think freezing may cause even more issues. It is one of those things that works for some people and not for others. A lot depending on the recipe itself and variances in ingredients depending on where you live and products available. If you use lemon juice in your cream cheese icing, you will likely have colouring issues.

I too like to use confectionary compound or chocolate for transfers instead. No worries about refrigerating them for setting and they are quite easy.

If you go with the cream cheese transfer, I have done them in pastel shades on parchment paper and no problems as long as you are using silicone treated parchment. Some cream cheese icings will not take darker colours, a lot depends on the recipe.

Edited by Squirrelly Cakes (log)

K8memphis, can you tell me, what is "colorflow"?

I'm not K8....I just play her on TV. :raz:

But I can tell you what colorflow is.

Basically, it's royal icing in two different consistencies.

You pipe the thicker consistency down as outlines for your image.

Let it dry a bit. Then thin the rest down so that when you pipe it, it will "flow" and fill

the outlines you have just created. Color as needed, and fill in your outlines.

The two neat things about colorflow are that you don't have to worry about reversing

your image; the part you see is the part that is supposed to show. And doing colorflow

also gives your image a really nice "puffy" effect.

There is some info on the Wilton website about colorflow here.

But don't let Wilton fool you......"Colorflow Mix" is also known as "Meringue Powder" or

just plain ol' egg whites.

K8memphis, can you tell me, what is "colorflow"?

I'm not K8....I just play her on TV. :raz:

But I can tell you what colorflow is.

Basically, it's royal icing in two different consistencies.

You pipe the thicker consistency down as outlines for your image.

Let it dry a bit. Then thin the rest down so that when you pipe it, it will "flow" and fill

the outlines you have just created. Color as needed, and fill in your outlines.

The two neat things about colorflow are that you don't have to worry about reversing

your image; the part you see is the part that is supposed to show. And doing colorflow

also gives your image a really nice "puffy" effect.

There is some info on the Wilton website about colorflow here.

But don't let Wilton fool you......"Colorflow Mix" is also known as "Meringue Powder" or

just plain ol' egg whites.

Thanks a lot!!! I'll try it :)

I love to decorate cakes and you may see my cakes here: http://foto.mail.ru/mail/bonya_l/1