• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reheating potatoes

Fernwood

Mashed potatoes reheat quite well; french fries I wouldn't even try, though the children do sometimes. But what about when you have nice roasted potatoes left over—is there a trick to reheating them that ameliorates the weird taste/texture change that seems to happen in the fridge?

Fern

When I have leftover roast potatoes, I usually heat them in butter in a skillet on the stove. They re-crisp up nicely.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

When I have leftover roast potatoes, I usually heat them in butter in a skillet on the stove.  They re-crisp up nicely.

I tend to find that they get eaten cold, straight from the fridge with lots of salt at about 2 in the morning....

If you have any greens left too they make a fine bubble and squeak.

Edited by Carlovski (log)

I love animals.

They are delicious.

When I have leftover roast potatoes, I usually heat them in butter in a skillet on the stove.  They re-crisp up nicely.

I tend to find that they get eaten cold, straight from the fridge with lots of salt at about 2 in the morning....

If you have any greens left too they make a fine bubble and squeak.

The first time my (now deceased) MIL made an open-face Danish sandwich with cold, sliced potatoes, I shuddered. Then I tried it - with lots of salt - delicious.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog