• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eggs

phlawless

So once a week I have to make eggs in a new way that I have never made before. Usually what happens is I have a bunch of vegetables to use up and no protein, or I am saving some meat/fish for another specific dish but I don't want to have just a veg plate so I cook up some eggs. It's always great, and I am always happy with the results. But I want to expand my egg-folio...I want some new ideas (ethnic?) or techniques that aren't conventional (omelets, salads, etc). I love making savory souffles, but I want more.

Suggestions?

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

I recently had an egg sandwich called a Malawach that might fit the bill- from a local restaurant featured in this thread. Scroll down just a bit through Jason Perlow's wonderful photos. If you can get the bread (see Pam R's suggestion in the same thread) I don't think the rest of the components should be that hard to do. Great stuff!

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I have an old favourite "Cheese and Onion Savoury" - a sort of savoury bread pudding.

2 oz grated cheese.

1 small onion, chopped.

1 small clove garlic, crushed

2 eggs lightly beaten

1/2 cup milk

2 oz. soft breadcrumbs

1 teaspoon mustard

salt, pepper, also parsley if you wish.

Mix it all well together, put in a well greased 6 inch dish (bit more cheese on top if you wish), put in a hot oven about 20 mins until it is golden.

It is a nice change from a frittata, and lends itself to lots of variations.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

you can do a steamed egg dish. i like to take soy sauce & sesame oil to taste and throw in about a tablespoon or two to water to 2 eggs, mix it all up and then throw it into a bowl and steam it.

I am lazy though so I just throw it in the microwave and garnish with some green onions. I call this "Sheena's half ass version of mom's delicious steamed egg"

very easy to make and tastes great with fresh rice

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Get yourself a copy of Michel Roux's book, simply titled, "Eggs". I have a copy on the way and it looks to be one of the best single-subject cookbooks I've ever seen.

edited to ask if anyone has the book and, if so, what do you think of it?

Edited by kitwilliams (log)

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl