• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Korean Restaurants Near the GWB

pups224

I don't know about *best*, but I did enjoy Won Jo's (or however it's spelled) down in Edgewater by the Binghamton. I enjoyed even more the Palisadium in Cliffside Park. I think that's what it's called. It's either called Palisadium or it's in that building. I was confused when I went and still am. Never mind that I read the menu....As far as I recall, both have table BBQ.

There was a really tasty one too in Fort Lee with a garden in a 'traditional' looking building. It looked closed for renovations though when I went last year. I can't recall the name but it's real close to the GWB by the Helmsey development land thing and the Sally Ling's/It's Greek to Me/etc strip mall.

For soft tofu places, my favorite one closed but my friend likes the one on Main St in Fort Lee. I have no clue what it's called. I just know where it is (real close to the Hudson Terrace/River Rd juncture). The restaurant is actually set in from the road so you don't see if it you're not looking. I don't like this place as much but plenty of people do from the crowds.

For really traditional stuff (smelly and spicy) there's Gami-ok (or whatever) that's a 24 hr joint also on Main St but where Alfredo's used to be. My stomach was not fit for this food and I suffered the consequences. Is it good? The steady flow of people say yes and a korean friend said yes but I couldn't tell. My mouth was on fire.

There's plenty more places of course but what memory I have is a sieve. Sorry.

the soft tofu place on main st. is called soft tofu. it is set back and has parking in front. it has a small menu, no bbq, and is excellent. order tofu with an add in. i like the oyster or mushroom. add an order of short ribs and tell them how spicy you like it. it is usually filled with korean families and there can be a wait but it goes quickly. when u get there, go to the register and they will give u anumber and menu. u order first and when u are seated, the food come quickly.

Jason just did a pretty decent post on Korean, with one spot right on Lemoine off the Bridge. Don't discount Han Ah Reum, the Korean supermarket, which isn't far from the GWB. 321 Broad Avenue in Ridgefield Park, just shy of the Fairview border. The Korean-Chinese restaurant, King's Noodle, looks fantastic, and a new traditional Korean BBQ-centered restaurant just opened up last week next to the market.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Jason just did a pretty decent post on Korean, with one spot right on Lemoine off the Bridge.  Don't discount Han Ah Reum, the Korean supermarket, which isn't far from the GWB.  321 Broad Avenue in Ridgefield Park, just shy of the Fairview border.  The Korean-Chinese restaurant, King's Noodle, looks fantastic, and a new traditional Korean BBQ-centered restaurant just opened up last week next to the market.

Thanks very much for the post. Went to Han Ah Reum today. Quite a market. Very inexpensive. Great meat. Unfortunately my freezer is full otherwise I would have loaded up. Got some lovely panchan. Mitsua is also great. more expensive, better fish.

Looked in on the restaurant rext door. It looks quite snazzy. The boyfriend insisted on a place a bit south on Broad St. with a sign that said "Tofu and Barbeque". Not great, but satisfied my Korean craving.

Thanks again.

Thanks very much for the post. Went to Han Ah Reum today. Quite a market. Very inexpensive. Great meat. Unfortunately my freezer is full otherwise I would have loaded up. Got some lovely panchan. Mitsua is also great. more expensive, better fish.

Looked in on the restaurant rext door. It looks quite snazzy. The boyfriend insisted on a place a bit south on Broad St. with a sign that said "Tofu and Barbeque". Not great, but satisfied my Korean craving.

Thanks again.

I know the one; my girlfriend and I ate there. The tofu soup was amazing, everything else seemed standard Korean fare. We only had the tofu soup and the bulgogi. Since it was just two of us, it wasn't done at the table. Still good, but not the best experience, y'know?

Next time we're going to hit up King's Noodle or the new Korean place right next to Han Ah Reum.

HAR is the best on weekends in the winter. Lots of people, lots of tasty stuff to sample all over the market. The food court is delicious for a quick, inexpensive Korean lunch. Try the kimchi stew. Amazingly spicy and perfectly steaming hot.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

I rang them today. Ordered, to go, "3 beef, not too spicy and 2 ribs". By the time I got there it was ready.

Heaven.

the soft tofu place on main st. is called soft tofu.  it is set back and has parking in front.  it has a small menu, no bbq, and is excellent.  order tofu with an add in.  i like the oyster or mushroom. add an order of short ribs and tell them how spicy you like it.  it is usually filled with korean families and there can be a wait but it goes quickly.  when u get there, go to the register and they will give u anumber and menu.  u order first and when u are seated, the food come quickly.

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much