• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Evermay on the Delaware

Susan

I understand that they have gotten a new chef in the last month or so. Has anyone been there lately and can you tell me if it is as good as it used to be? Thinking of going for Thanksgiving and hoping to get the same great meal they are known for.

Edited by Susan (log)

Susan

• 1 month later...
I understand that they have gotten a new chef in the last month or so.  Has anyone been there lately and can you tell me if it is as good as it used to be?  Thinking of going for Thanksgiving and hoping to get the same great meal they are known for.

I just wanted to bring this message back up to the top. I am supposed to have Thanksgiving dinner here and was wondering if anyone had eaten here since my last posting and if they could give me some recent feedback. Thanks.

Susan

I understand that they have gotten a new chef in the last month or so.  Has anyone been there lately and can you tell me if it is as good as it used to be?  Thinking of going for Thanksgiving and hoping to get the same great meal they are known for.

I just wanted to bring this message back up to the top. I am supposed to have Thanksgiving dinner here and was wondering if anyone had eaten here since my last posting and if they could give me some recent feedback. Thanks.

Susan,

My name is Andrew Little and I am the former chef at Evermay. I felt compelled to write you to let you know that I am no longer cooking there although they have continued to post my name and likeness on their website. I don't know what the current situation is in the kitchen, but I do know that I am not there and a majority of the staff that was present in the dining room is no longer there. However, I have moved on to a very elegant 9 room country inn located in Hanover, PA and the former dining room manager at Evermay is running the dining room. We would love if you would join us for dinner there sometime. Please feel free to check us out at www.sheppardmansion.com

Regards,

Chef Andrew Little

Susan,

My name is Andrew Little and I am the former chef at Evermay. I felt compelled to write you to let you know that I am no longer cooking there although they have continued to post my name and likeness on their website. I don't know what the current situation is in the kitchen, but I do know that I am not there and a majority of the staff that was present in the dining room is no longer there. However, I have moved on to a very elegant 9 room country inn located in Hanover, PA and the former dining room manager at Evermay is running the dining room. We would love if you would join us for dinner there sometime. Please feel free to check us out at www.sheppardmansion.com

Regards,

Chef Andrew Little

Chef Little,

Thank you so much for your response. I initially booked by dinner at EverMay because I thought you were there. Since learning that you had left, I have been trying to get some kind of feedback since we do have a reservation there. We are staying at a B&B in New Hope and would like to have dinner somewhere in the close area if we do not dine at Evermay. From what I understand, Hanover is quite a ways from New Hope so, unfortunately, I will make be able to make it there for Thanksgiving dinner but do hope to enjoy your cooking if I am in the Hanover area. If you have any recommendations for Thanksgiving dinner in the New Hope area, I would greatly appreciate it.

Susan

Susan,

Regards,

Chef Andrew Little

Doesnt sound like an amicable parting.....

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

since we do have a reservation there.  We are staying at a B&B in New Hope and would like to have dinner somewhere in the close area if we do not dine at Evermay.  From what I understand, Hanover is quite a ways from New Hope so,

Susan, I agree with Rich's assesment about the departure of Chef Little. Of course without knowing full details, I really couldn't say. If I were you, knowing the cost at Evermay, I'd drive accross the bridge and eat at Number 9 in Lambertville. I know you'll have an outstanding meal there but can't say the same now about Evermay. It's not a good sign they are still using his name and that most of his staff have left with him.

Here is the thread from the NJ board on this wonderful little place:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=6743

For what it's worth, their website: www.evermay.com does not currently make reference to Chef Little. In fact the "Dining Menu" and "Chef's Notes" menu items don't currently link to anything.

That doesn't seem like a good sign for the dining end of things, but it could just be a website design delay.... Susan, have the folks at Evermay told you anything, like who's the chef, or what the menu is?

And Chef Little, thanks for joining us, and for the info on your current activities, please keep us updated. After reading Laban's raves about your work at Evermay, I'd hoped to get up there someday, but never managed it... If anyone makes it to Shepperd Mansion, please report back!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

For what it's worth, their website: www.evermay.com does not currently make reference to Chef Little.  In fact the "Dining Menu" and "Chef's Notes" menu items don't currently link to anything.

That doesn't seem like a good sign for the dining end of things, but it could just be a website design delay....  Susan, have the folks at Evermay told you anything, like who's the chef, or what the menu is?

And Chef Little, thanks for joining us, and for the info on your current activities, please keep us updated. After reading Laban's raves about your work at Evermay, I'd hoped to get up there someday, but never managed it...  If anyone makes it to Shepperd Mansion, please report back!

OK, guys. I'll try to reply to as many of the above comments as I can remember! As far as a place to go for Thanksgiving...I always had a great relationship with Michel Faure just down the road at the Golden Pheasant and spent some nights off in Doylestown at Slate Bleu. Both places are distinctly French. No.9 is a great suggestion, as well.

In terms of my split with Evermay...it was just that; a split. We went through a change in ownership in late 2005 and with that change a change in philosophy. I decided to leave starting January 1 2006, in order to continue on my quest for 'the ultimate country inn experience'. In May 2006, The Dining Room at the Sheppard Mansion opened in Hanover, PA(incidentally and luckily for me, my hometown). At The Mansion, we are able to raise our own grass-fed Scotish Highland beef, smoke our own bacon from Amish pigs, make our own butter from local cream and that is just the tip of the iceberg. We are still in our infancy, but we are pushing very hard toward being a very interesting dining destination on many levels. OK..enough of the info. My concern with Evermay stems from the 'specials' button of the website still advertising my cooking for Thanksgiving and holiday events. Also, from the specials page you may still view the chef notes page. I was always very thankful for every guest that came all the way to Evermay to dine and would not want them to be mislead. I just want the best for every guest and if they are expecting to have my food and dining experience I want to be in the kitchen! :-)

For what it's worth, their website: www.evermay.com does not currently make reference to Chef Little.  In fact the "Dining Menu" and "Chef's Notes" menu items don't currently link to anything.

That doesn't seem like a good sign for the dining end of things, but it could just be a website design delay....  Susan, have the folks at Evermay told you anything, like who's the chef, or what the menu is?

And Chef Little, thanks for joining us, and for the info on your current activities, please keep us updated. After reading Laban's raves about your work at Evermay, I'd hoped to get up there someday, but never managed it...  If anyone makes it to Shepperd Mansion, please report back!

They told me that the new chef's name was John Vink. I asked where he had cooked before and they said locally. Does anyone know anything about him?

Susan

My concern with Evermay stems from the 'specials' button of the website still advertising my cooking for Thanksgiving and holiday events.  Also, from the specials page you may still view the chef notes page. I was always very thankful for every guest that came all the way to Evermay to dine and would not want them to be mislead.  I just want the best for every guest and if they are expecting to have my food and dining experience I want to be in the kitchen! :-)

Ahh, right you are, and I can see where you'd be concerned about the potential for confusion. They certainly should fix that, and provide some updated menus and chef info.

Thanks for the clarifications. Sheppard Mansion sounds great, please keep us informed of your progress!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Welcome Chef! Glad to have you join us! I hope in your *cough* copious free time you'll be able to join in some of our other discussions in the PA forum. Love to have other in-the-biz types commenting on their favorite places to go and shop.

What you're doing at Sheppard Mansion sounds ambitious and admirable. I hope to come visit some time and check out your menu. The care you're putting into the ingredients is something I have an enormous amount of respect for. I hope anyone else that has a chance to visit will please report back fully to the rest of us who are now drooling in anticipation!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol