• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO best bread bakeries in NYC

pkeibel

Tom Cat bakery and Pain d'Avignon. Both wholesale only, I think, but the breads can be found in retailers and restaurants around town. Gourmet Garage sells Tom Cat baguette - I think it's the best in NYC. Some Pain d'Avignon breads, as well as Balthazar loaves, are sold at Whole Foods and at Corrado (Grand Central Station and a few other locations). I agree about Sullivan Street; their pane pugliese is what we always have in the house.

to taste, aside from Sullivan uptown, Amy's Bread in Chelsea Market and Eli's Bread, at Zabar's... and special mention to Caputo's in Brooklyn for the lard bread.

Amy's is also fun because you can watch them to your heart's content. But go early, like before 10 AM.

Nothing in NY compares to Northern California (SF and Napa).

That's quite a statement - Sullivan St., Balthazar, Tom Cat, PQ, Amy's, Orawasher's, H&H, Kossar's, Eli's might all beg to differ.

Try Falai Panneteria on Clinton for some really unique breads.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 7 years later...

There's a newish(Jewish) bread bakery on 16th just west of Union Square. Exceptionally good stuff (at exceptionally high prices) 

Great stuff. It's got a funny name. Breads Bakery.  Best rugelach in town.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?