• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apples in savory dishes

devlin

They're good when stuffed with sausage or lamb and baked. You'll find any number of recipes for savory stuffed apples (or quinces) if you poke around a bit. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I like to cook fresh kielbasa with equal amounts of apple and onions in a covered dish for an hour at 350, then uncovered for an additional half hour. It makes for a nice dinner and reheats well.

HC

@andiesenji has a recipe for brats with apples and onions that I like. I can't seem to find a copy here though. Slow cooker recipe.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

@andiesenji has a recipe for brats with apples and onions that I like. I can't seem to find a copy here though. Slow cooker recipe.

It is on the first page of this thread, I think. If that's the one. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My favorite soup is Sweet Mama soup - winter squash and apples garnished with cubes of raw apple.

Like kayb, I like apples sautéed as a side or garnish with chicken or pork. I make a casserole of layered apples, sweet potatoes and sliced port tenderloin. Or you can leave out the pork. And apples and onions is a dish with lots of variations that has been around forever. According to Laura Ingells Wilder's Farmer Boy it was Almanzo Wilder's favorite dish when he was growing up in the 1800's. There is a caramelized version on the NY Times site that is very good. 

Then of course, there is applesauce. Is it permissible to eat latkes without applesauce? :P

• Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

@Anna N That version is slightly different.

This is the one I couldn't find by searching:

Brats with Apples and Onions

From Andiesenji (egullet)

2 - 3 tablespoons butter or lard or bacon drippings
Scant 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
4 to 6 brats - depending on size - cut into 1-inch chunks
2 large apples, peeled and cored and cut into chunks
1 large or two small onions, cut into chunks
Fresh ground black pepper - 1/4 teaspoon should be enough
Salt. Taste before salting after dish has cooked about 3/4 through.
3 cups of apple cider.

Heat the fat till it sizzles, then stir in the cumin and allow it to "bloom."

Brown the brat chunks in the fat, then stir in the apples and onions.

Transfer to the slow cooker and add the cider.

Cook on high for 30 minutes  then reduce to low and cook for 3 hours or more until ready to serve.

I serve this with dumplings, large flat noodles or rice.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

No need to be sorry. Thank you.

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Thanks. Yes, I have a slow cooker.

How do you use apple butter, though? The link doesn't say.

Probably be better than cheese on banana bread!

• Like 2

The brats with apples and onions is trying to tempt me. I'm honestly very rarely a fan of fruit in savory dishes (no, we don't have to go down the "tomatoes, eggplants, etc. etc. are fruit!" road) but it sounds good anyway. And I love apple butter. Haven't made it in a long time but it's one of my favorite uses for apples just below eating them as is and apple crisp.

9 hours ago, Shelby said:

I'm sorry.  I should  have elaborated.  It's excellent on toast.

And even better on nicely buttered biscuits!

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

What d'ya know!

Just yesterday I mentioned that frozen pastry is totally unavailable here and this morning I go into a shop only yards from my home and find this. First time in over 20 years!

French Pastry.jpg

I can feel some sort of apple pie heading this way.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

For American  Thanksgiving I made a side dish of rutabagas, sweet potatoes and apples for the cousin's dinner.  I also add chopped apples to my chicken salad and to baked sausage dressing to go with roasted meats like turkey or chicken or pork.

I really like that bratwurst idea and will probably make it next week when I am solo.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites