• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch near the Cancer Clinic?

CanadianBakin'

Since we live out in Mission we aren't very familiar with good places to eat in Vancouver aside from the ones we've enjoyed thanks to everyone's recommendations...Parkside, HSG, Feenies, Irish Heather, etc. So, I need your help again.

Can you please recommend good places for a reasonably priced lunch that are not far from the Cancer Clinic? It's on W 10th near Cambie. We walked around last friday and there seems to be a lot of variety but it would be nice if we didn't have to waste time finding out which ones are best. If there happens to be a good coffee shop or bakery in the area I'd love to know about that too. Thanks!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Since we live out in Mission we aren't very familiar with good places to eat in Vancouver aside from the ones we've enjoyed thanks to everyone's recommendations...Parkside, HSG, Feenies, Irish Heather, etc. So, I need your help again.

Can you please recommend good places for a reasonably priced lunch that are not far from the Cancer Clinic? It's on W 10th near Cambie. We walked around last friday and there seems to be a lot of variety but it would be nice if we didn't have to waste time finding out which ones are best. If there happens to be a good coffee shop or bakery in the area I'd love to know about that too. Thanks!

Cambie area

About a quarter of the way down, it starts with the upstairs of the City Square Mall which Gerald mentioned (at the corner of 12th and Cambie)

Broadway close to Cambie

Almost at the bottom, this shows the places Gerald mentioned such as Zako's Deli, the Red Burrito, then further up is Steamrollers, Cactus Club.

Steeps Tea is on Broadway, has great teas to try, comfortable atmosphere. (it's at about the halfway mark on the web page, 895 West Broadway)

Broadway - east of Cambie

Quite a few spots listed, M.E.C. is here too along with other similiar themed stores.

Broadway (Granville east wards to Oak St)

Oak Street is the west side boundary road of the Vancouver Hospital complex community, whereas Cambie is just past the east side boundary.

Those pages should give you some idea of where places are that people mention or you can check them out/ask about them......... sending lots of healing vibes and hugs for all the best. xo

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

I work in that area, so these rec's are tried and tried and tried ...

Shiro - really really good sushi (Cambie b/w 14th & 15th - East Side of Cambie)

Tropika - Indonesian/Malaysian. I prefer their laksa to Banana Leaf's (Cambie @ 14th - North-West corner)

The new Capers is at 16th & Cambie ... worth a visit. Not "cheap" but pretty good.

There are a TONNE of places along Broadway on either side of Cambie (mostly West) that serve cheap lunch. Quality varies, but the best I found was the Fallafel place (forgotten the name) that has Toonie Tuesdays ... 2 Falafel Pitas for $2!! Good and garlic-y!

Coffee? I always stop at JJ Bean at 14th & Main. Not in the area, but it's on my way in. If you're driving in along Grandview (12th), it's not far off your path. Let us know if you find anything closer to 10th & Cambie.

Good eating!

A.

Sha Lin noodle house is great- I like the dragging noodles with pork and the satays. Side of broccoli with garlic.

Just off Cambie on 7th and Yukon is Solly's Bagel Deli.

Banana Leaf is great- Broadway near Laurel

Schezuan Chile on 6th and Willow has decent lunch specials

Kalamata on Broadway and Cambie used to be good Greek, but I haven't been for a few years- maybe someone else can confirm?

Has anybody tried the little Vietmanese place on Broadway and Oak? I might be worth a try.

Second the Shiro and Kirin recs. Also, there is a creperie in the City Square Mall. Would probably be good.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza