• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Floating Island?

pjm333

A customer wants floating Island for a party which I can make but chef wants it to be "special"...I have mostly made it for buffets in a chaffing dish and wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on plating ideas,garnishes etc.. maybe a raspberry or chocolate floating island just something different..thanks in advance.

pat

How about something tropical? Incorporating coconut into the creamy part should be easy, then garnished with some fruit coulis or reductions.

Hmmm that sounds really good :blink:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Well, part of oeufs a la neige's charm is its simplicity--but one nice variation I like is that gven by Lindsey Shere in Chez Panisse Desserts. She flavors the custard with either Meyer lemon or tangerine zest. You can also drizzle some caramel syrup over individual servings just before service if you will be plating the dessert.

A nice accompaniemnet are crisp elegant cookies like almond tuiles, cigarettes or langues de chat. This would up the "special" factor as well. You could go with one type of cookie or an assortment.

Other options for flavoring the custard might be pistachio (steep custard with finely chopped pistachios and strain) or rose geranium.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Sorry, the website is a bit outdated... reconstructing soon

But we have experimented and continue to, on how to get product to float.

Including using helium with certain gums, like an edible balloon. Maybe Inventolux is already doing this...

But for now we float the merinque, foam, etc. on a pool of liquid nitrogen. Which does make it float and also gives it a crunchy, frozen outside texture. With the anglaise as a liquid center.

I guess thats more like a crashing asteroid.

Maybe a zero gravity box, not that I know what that is...

Good luck...

Richard Blais

www.blaiscuisine.com

blais,

Thank you..liquid nitrogen huh....thats a new one but great idea..It is for tomorrow so I dont have the first clue where to get any or how to use it but thanks..

pat

Sorry, the website is a bit outdated... reconstructing soon

But we have experimented and continue to, on how to get product to float.

Including using helium with certain gums, like an edible balloon. Maybe Inventolux is already doing this...

But for now we float the merinque, foam, etc. on a pool of liquid nitrogen. Which does make it float and also gives it a crunchy, frozen outside texture. With the anglaise as a liquid center.

I guess thats more like a crashing asteroid.

Maybe a zero gravity box, not that I know what that is...

Good luck...