• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TOMATO PIE

Rich Pawlak

rich et al.  If Wilmington De. is considered "in the area", then i'll throw my hat into the ring.  I own Black Lab Breads, a bakery on union st. in wilm. de.  It was formerly Difonzos bakery.  they were known for their tomato pie, soooo i had to continue making the tomato pie.  Well, i didn't HAVE to, but the neighborhood really, really wanted me too.  The problem was i really never liked tomato pie... at all.  Every version seemed to consist of bread dough pressed into a sheet pan, sauced and baked, producing a rather heavy doughy piece of pie with a wet layer of dough under the sauce called a "gumline"

Anyway, our dough is a focaccia base.  We bake it directly on the hearth stone giving a very crisp bottom, an open holey interior and a top with very little or no gumline.  comes about an inch to inch an a half thick  I found out one thing real quick: Old school italians do NOT like change!!!  The vast majority, however, like it much better.  I have some pics of the pie and the dough (i know i do, somewhere) that are being uploaded to the website.  If i can dig them up, i'll post 'em.

ciao.

Looks promisingly tasty!

Thanks!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Sarcone's anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller???

There's also a place in Manayunk that's uphill from Main Street that has (supposedly) killer tomato pie as well as really awesome Pepperoni bread that I have loved in the past.

edited to add:

Marciano's Bakery

As mentioned in my initial post.

At times I am selectively illiterate... :wacko:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm a pretty big fan of the tomato pie at Carlino's in Ardmore.  Their pie fits into the large, baking sheet style with one major exception: no cheese.  It's a fairly thick crust with crushed tomatoes (not sauce) made zesty by lots of garlic, herbs and, methinks, a dash of anchovy.  Room temp, to-go only.  You can order ahead for whole or half pies or buy by the slice but pay by the pound as a walk-in.

Thanks for the Carlino's recommendation, David. I gave the tomato pie a try on my way home today, and it's pretty great. Very thick crust, great sauce-- I didn't taste anchovy, but there's a nice bite of rosemary.

My only complaint is that the crust was a tiny bit gummy. That may be because it had been sitting around since the morning; or because it's kept at slightly below room temperature. It might benefit from a little spell in the oven once it gets home. If I can wait that long to eat it, that is.

Carlino's seems like a neat place, by the way; I'd never heard of them (my ignorance; I don't know the Main Line at all), but they have a nice selection of prepared foods, good-looking breads, and lots of homemade pasta. I picked up some frozen tortellini which I intend to cook up in some brodo for a quick dinner one of these days...

Professore. I am glad you discovered Carlino's. I have not had the tomato pie but no difference - I am just too close to Marchiano's.

Welcome to the hood!

Evan

Edited by shacke (log)

Dough can sense fear.

Thanks for the Carlino's recommendation, David.  I gave the tomato pie a try on my way home today, and it's pretty great.  Very thick crust, great sauce-- I didn't taste anchovy, but there's a nice bite of rosemary. 

My only complaint is that the crust was a tiny bit gummy.  That may be because it had been sitting around since the morning; or because it's kept at slightly below room temperature.  It might benefit from a little spell in the oven once it gets home.  If I can wait that long to eat it, that is.

Carlino's seems like a neat place, by the way; I'd never heard of them (my ignorance; I don't know the Main Line at all), but they have a nice selection of prepared foods, good-looking breads, and lots of homemade pasta.  I picked up some frozen tortellini which I intend to cook up in some brodo for a quick dinner one of these days...

Sorry to veer off-topic folks, but... I'm glad you pursued the tip, Andrew. I don't often buy cheese from Carlino's, in spite of a decent selection, because of their proximity to Downtown Cheese's outpost in the Ardmore Farmers' Market. Otherwise, in addition to the tomato pie, I do enjoy their pastas and prepared foods. It's a regular spot if I'm in a pinch for something to serve for lunch when friends stop by.

Liscio's makes a good room temperature sheet pie.

Is that Liscio's on Oregon Ave.?

If so, it is a new outpost. I thought all their locations were in South Jersey. The one near me is in Sewell, Rt 55 to Exit 56A, then 8 lights or so on Egg Harbor Rd, they are in a strip center on the right hand side.

Cacia's has always been my favorite, although lately I've been getting it at Erlton Italian Bakery on Haddon Ave. in Collingswood. They make it at the bakery in Camden, but sell it out of this storefront too. 90 Cents a piece, room temperature, square, and they usually ask you if you want a middle or end piece. If you call ahead, they will send over a whole one from Camden. 18 bucks or so, but it's huge (takes up 2 pizza boxes). Great to bring to a party, always a hit.

Previn Inc.

Supplier to Fine Restaurants.

Corropolese's Bakery & Deli Inc. 29 Kugler Rd, Royersford, PA and Norristown both serve a good tomato pie.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

You know, I've never thought of a bakery tomato pie as a eat in thing. For me it's always been gimme two seeded bastoni (loaves of bread) and oh yeah, gimme a slice of that tomato pie to eat on the way to the car.

Word to that. I'll typically pick up a slice at Sarcone's when shopping on 9th Street. Breakfast of champions...

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

Corropolese's Bakery & Deli Inc. 29 Kugler Rd, Royersford, PA and Norristown both serve a good tomato pie.

As mentioned abovethread.

oooops! :blink:

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

• 2 weeks later...

Rich, I thought you might find this interesting-- a ghost of tomato pies past:

gallery_7432_1362_229251.jpg

This is at about 50th and Lancaster. It's a good reminder of how that neighborhood has changed- presumably, Vincent was Italian, but now the area is overwhelmingly African-American. The cafe is long gone; the sign now overlooks a school playground. (One of the teachers was very suspicious of this weirdo taking pictures; I explained that I was interested in Philadelphia history and deleted any of the photos that had kids in them. You can never be too cautious these days, I guess.)

I'm a South Jersey girl, and one of the things I miss the most about living on the Main Line rather than in Gloucester Township is Cacia's in Blackwood. I love their tomato pie, their pizza, their rolls...everything. A couple of nights ago we were driving on Macdade Blvd in Folsom and I spotted a sign that said Cacia's Bakery. Is this owned by the same family, does anyone know? And if it is, does it have my beloved tomato pie and pizza?

Cupcake Planet: my (possibly obsessive) cupcake-centric 'blog

I'm a South Jersey girl, and one of the things I miss the most about living on the Main Line rather than in Gloucester Township is Cacia's in Blackwood. I love their tomato pie, their pizza, their rolls...everything. A couple of nights ago we were driving on Macdade Blvd in Folsom and I spotted a sign that said Cacia's Bakery. Is this owned by the same family, does anyone know? And if it is, does it have my beloved tomato pie and pizza?

There is a Caccia's on Rt 70 eastbound in, oh hell, either Cherry Hill or Marlton (it's near the border going from CH towards M). Don't know if they are related but Caccia is as common a name as Hunter.

Two days ago I got a loaf of bread and a slice of tomato pie.It was good. I'll eat another next time.

At that location they also sell pizzas.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

There is a Caccia's on Rt 70 eastbound in, oh hell, either Cherry Hill or Marlton (it's near the border going from CH towards M). Don't know if they are related but Caccia is as common a name as Hunter.

Two days ago I got a loaf of bread and a slice of tomato pie.It was good. I'll eat another next time.

At that location they also sell pizzas.

That one is the same family, as far as I know, but if I'm going to drive from Ardmore to Cherry Hill I'm just going to drive back to Blackwood. The Macdade Blvd one would be a lot closer, if it's owned by the same people.

Cupcake Planet: my (possibly obsessive) cupcake-centric 'blog

As mentioned already, the tomato pie at sarcones is my favorite. If you can get a corner slice, it is the best, so crispy, light dough, great sauce! We make do with tomato pie from Tony A's in Plymouth Meeting. Yes, you can eat it hot, but we usually get one or two (they are huge!) for a party and serve them at room temperature. You cant buy them by the slice, unless they have one already made when you get there so this recommendation might not qualify. Also, the Tony A's in Roxborough is not as good, and I havent tried the one in East Norriton.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the kind e-mails this morning.

THIS is the end result of all of your suggestions. It was a fascinating topic to explore. And it was great eating my way through each and every tomato pie.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

The best of the lot, for me, was the pie from Conshohocken Bakery, followed by Marchiano's, Don Giovani's in Feasterville, and then Corropolese's. All of them were great, mind you, so it's just splitting hairs, really.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

That article was one of the best in the Daily News since your articles about Holly & Hot Dogs. Nobody who gets this paper should throw it out until they cut out that article. There's no excuse for not eating great tomato pie anymore. I can't believe I've gone to Alex's Pizza and never knew about Marchiano's right around the corner. Can't wait to try it, and I completely forgot about West Conshy Bakery. So many years have passed.