• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to go for a birthday

maxmillan

I'd like a suggestion for a birthday dinner. Something not too expensive for the meal and a restaurant that has excellent desserts. I was thinking The Griffin at Vancouver Hotel because they have a dessert buffet but it seems like I go there almost every year.

I'd like a variety of desserts, not just chocolate, as I find this too heavy and it's not everyone's favorite. A good mix of white cakes, chocolate, mousse, fruits, pies, etc is ideal but the quality should be good.

It doesn't have to be a dessert buffet but it should have a good range of quality desserts. Ornamate plating does not impress us, just good desserts. I find a lot of restaurants minimize the importance of the final course by offering simple chocolate desserts, ice cream and not much else.

Thanks for your help.

Parkside. "Ornamatal" :wink: and delicious.

ETA

Or you could go to HSG and just accept that everybody has to have the GBP.

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

The desserts at Diva at the Met are well worth it.

Stephen

Are these desserts created by Thomas Hass?

Thanks.

Yes, he is the Executive Pastry Chef at Diva. Here's a link to the Diva dessert menu: Diva Desserts

Looks like that may be where *Deborah* had the chocolate and pistachio dessert she mentioned in another thread.

Trafalgars is a good suggestion, especially since you are looking for wide selection. Here's the menu: Trafalgars Desserts

Edited by barolo (log)

Cheers,

Anne

The desserts at Diva at the Met are well worth it.

Stephen

Are these desserts created by Thomas Hass?

Thanks.

Yes, he is the Executive Pastry Chef at Diva. Here's a link to the Diva dessert menu: Diva Desserts

Looks like that may be where *Deborah* had the chocolate and pistachio dessert she mentioned in another thread.

Trafalgars is a good suggestion, especially since you are looking for wide selection. Here's the menu: Trafalgars Desserts

Oh, bless you, Anne! :biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I'd go to Diner in a heartbeat. We've been to four different b-day parties there and the people loved the place each time. Good solid tasty food and fantastic fresh desserts. We just came from lunch there and my sweety for dessert had the Blackberry Pavlova with fresh Black berries out of Heathers garden. I had a just out of the oven Peach Shortbread ...... the best. My best friend had a party there and she cooked a Blackberry Coconut cake for him that everyone still raves about.

I find a lot of restaurants minimize the importance of the final course. 

Geez, don't these restaurant realize that the LAST course is the most important?

Waiting for Ling to weigh in with her recommendations...

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I'd go to Diner in a heartbeat.  We've been to four different b-day parties there and the people loved the place each time.  Good solid tasty food and fantastic fresh desserts.  We just came from lunch there and my sweety for dessert had the Blackberry Pavlova with fresh Black berries out of Heathers garden.  I had a just out of the oven Peach Shortbread ...... the best.  My best friend had a party there and she cooked a Blackberry Coconut cake for him that everyone still raves about.

Heather makes great desserts. Craving some now.

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

I find a lot of restaurants minimize the importance of the final course. 

Geez, don't these restaurant realize that the LAST course is the most important?

Waiting for Ling to weigh in with her recommendations...

I kept quiet because Diva has already been mentioned. That would be my pick as well. :smile:

West also does some nice desserts.

The most memorable dessert I've had in Vancouver in the last few months was the wasabi cheesecake and matcha ice-cream at Blue Water Cafe.

I'm chiming in with a second (or is a third) for Trafalgar's and Diva. Keep in mind that the ambiance is quite different - the former is much more low key while the latter would be much more of a done-up affair. Trafalgar's definitely for quantity in terms of selection and good quality. Diva for fantastic quality (closes her eyes in remembrance of Thomas Haas desserts :)

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

Thanks for all the info. However, I decided a dessert buffet is the way to go instead of restaurants that offer no buffet. I only know of Griffins and the chocolate buffet at what was once the Meridien.

Does anyone know of other dessert buffets? I thought there was a thread pertaining to this but I can't find it.

As well, when I called around for dessert buffets, I discovered a couple of delicious sounding buffets that offers dessert buffet. The William Tell restaurant has a Swiss Farmers Buffet brunch. Has anyone tried it?

Also, I called the Waterfront and they offer a brunch buffet as well? Any word on what their desserts are like?

I'll go the route of buffets that includes food as long as there are desserts.

Thanks for any leads.

Edited by maxmillan (log)

Note that the Swiss Farmers Buffet is for dinner, not brunch.

Haven't been to the brunch buffet for a long time, but it used to be good.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

• 1 month later...
I'd go to Diner in a heartbeat.  We've been to four different b-day parties there and the people loved the place each time.  Good solid tasty food and fantastic fresh desserts.  We just came from lunch there and my sweety for dessert had the Blackberry Pavlova with fresh Black berries out of Heathers garden.  I had a just out of the oven Peach Shortbread ...... the best.  My best friend had a party there and she cooked a Blackberry Coconut cake for him that everyone still raves about.

Heather makes great desserts. Craving some now.

:wacko: sorry to be such an EG noob, but where's Diner? I have an outrageous task of finding a reasonable (entrees hovering between the teens and the low 20's) yet trendy for a b-day party for a bunch of 18 y.o.s who have requested NO CHAIN restaurants. any ideas? i'd like to at least enjoy my meal since i won't be able understand/follow a word of what my company will be saying!

--> dinner is for this coming saturday night with no rezzos as of yet (for 10 ppl!), of course. *sigh*

Is there still a Chuck E Cheese by Loughheed Mall ?

lol, funny that you say that Neil, i voted for HSG, and was the one who called this afternoon and talked to you asking whether or not you had a webpage that i could direct the young'ns to.

unfortunately, i was out-voted... so Neil, you will NOT be seeing a group of 10 chuck-e-cheesers, arguing over how to split the bill and who gets to pay for the shared appies, this saturday night. boo hoo, i know. :biggrin:

our party will instead be tormenting the staff at relish...