• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

my big regret — years later

ohev'ochel

have you ever regretted not picking up that cookbook -- something u know u won't ever see again -- you saw in a second-hand bookshop or asking someone for a recipe for whatever reason? i had both these things happen to me and am STILL regretting it to this day. being obsessed with food and all things about it, i guess that is why it still bothers me to this day. i kick myself for not asking for a recipe for a version of a traditional cake which i have searched high and low for and never found or that damned cookbook i saw on one of my forays and thought, "ehh....who's ever gonna buy this in this neighbourhood!". haha, the joke was on me when i went back later that day to pick it up (didn't have cash on me at the time).

so what's your story? or am i being petty?:unsure:

(reason for this rant: upcoming holiday and i WANT THAT RECIPE! :angry: )

Edited by ohev'ochel (log)

have you ever regretted not picking up that cookbook you saw in a second-hand bookshop or asking someone for a recipe for whatever reason?  i had both these things happen to me and am STILL regretting it to this day.  being obsessed with food and all things about it, i guess that is why it still bothers me to this day.  i kick myself for not asking for a recipe for a version of a traditional cake which i have searched high and low for and never found or that damned cookbook i saw on one of my forays and thought, "ehh....who's ever gonna buy this in this neighbourhood!".  haha, the joke was on me when i went back later that day to pick it up (didn't have cash on me at the time).

so what's your story?  or am i being petty?:unsure:

(reason for this rant: upcoming holiday and i WANT THAT RECIPE! :angry: )

well, you're in the right place what kind of cake is it? And yes, it's happened to me a million times, but mostly with me wishing I had ordered something else.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

well, you're in the right place what kind of cake is it? And yes, it's happened to me a million times, but mostly with me wishing I had ordered something else.

was for a honeycake we eat at rosh hashanah and yom kippur. was totally different from all the others. sigh.

Edited by ohev'ochel (log)

Are there people who don't have regrets about these things?? :wink:

As for the honey cake, get thee to the honey cake topic and start asking questions! Let's see what we can find! B'hatzlacha (good luck)!

The Mrs. Beeton's Book of Household Management, 1860's edition, which I had acquired at an estate sale and sent to my sister's then-Mother-in-Law as a gift for her retirement from teaching high school Home Economics---it just seemed an appropriate thing, somehow, and I liked her.

I've wished for it back for my OWN collection of oldies, and still remember the beautiful drawings of tall, towering jellies, their crenellations high and imposing as castles, and the quaint, "First draw your rabbit," as well as nostrums and potions and VERY old wives' tales as to such diverse things as childbirth, laundry, and horseshoeing.

There was a lovely inscription in the front, in thin, brownish, elegant script: "To Delia on her wedding," dated 18 sixty-something.

I wish I had that book back.

I usually have regrets about not stopping somewhere because I am always in such a rush, even when there really is no reason to be. A few weeks ago driving to the beach in Delaware, I must have passed 15 roaside stands selling fresh peaches, mellons, tomatoes, etc. I wanted to stop, but something in me wanted to get to my destination as quickly as possible. Did I ever regret it when there were no more stands. I could have kicked myself.

I regret EVERY cookbook I don't buy, but I've tried to keep my purchases down to a minimum - I've run out of shelves to store them. There was a really neat Pennsylvania Dutch cookbook at a booksale held here in the hospital a few months ago, and I said "Well, maybe next time", and the next time it wasn't there, and now they've changed book vendors. But you just KNOW that they'll still be carrying copies of "Walter, the Farting Dog"...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

A kitchen store was going out of business in a big mall in the Toronto area. They had a cuisinart DLC X on for half price. That was about $230 in those days. I already had a DLC 7 and decided I would never need more than a 14 cup bowl.

The next 'bargain' I saw on one, when I realized there was a need for more than 14 cups, was $700 for a second.

Lucked out on e-bay though, bought a 'non working but the engine makes some sort of a noise when you plug it in' DLC X for about $60. Turns out they just didn't know how to put the bowl and lid on properly.

I usually have regrets about not stopping somewhere because I am always in such a rush, even when there really is no reason to be. A few weeks ago driving to the beach in Delaware, I must have passed 15 roaside stands selling fresh peaches, mellons, tomatoes, etc.  I wanted to stop, but something in me wanted to get to my destination as quickly as possible. Did I ever regret it when there were no more stands. I could have kicked myself.

yes yes yes :sad:

Deeper than the regret for the book you picked up, held warm in your hands, then replaced in the rack for "another time, maybe" is the place you'd "stop by on the way back." Direction changed, time shortened, or you returned by another route. And now and then there's a memory ping of the promising colors and shapes and shadows receding into the distance behind, on a road you'll never travel again.