• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry Chef Sadaharu Aoki

tan319

His websites for shoppes in Paris & Tokyo and one soon in New York in 2007, he claims.

The products look beautiful and more pages will be added soon, I think.

Unfortunately his bigger productions can only be found in the mag or their online presence, I believe.

Pastrys Best Magazine

Maybe you can get one of the last copies of the freebie?

Hope you enjoy!

edited to add this Other Paris website, outstanding!

I had forgotten about various pix of his work that had been posted earlier...

'Gullet thread

Really impressed...

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

His stuff is absolutely amazing, both to look at and to taste.

I had the luck to visit his shoppes in Paris several times this summer, and sampled a number of his individual desserts and assortments of macarons.

gallery_35487_3024_17087.jpg

TOP ROW: macha, coffee, umé (a Japanese prune, if web translators are to be believed)

SECOND ROW: lemon, chocolate, raspberry

THIRD ROW: violet, strawberry, pistachio

BOTTOM ROW: sesame, salted caramel and cinnamon peach

Highly recommended if you're in Paris, and his shoppes are located near enough to Pierre Herme, Dalloyau and other sites to inspire an all-day pastry excursion (skip breakfast first).

Brian Ibbotson

Pastry Sous for Production and Menu Research & Development

Sous Chef for Food Safety and Quality Assurance

I love his black sesame eclairs -- a revelation -- and his version of the classic opera cake made with matcha green tea. It's odd because I am really not a fan of matcha in desserts, but everything Sadaharu Aoki does with green tea -- including his eclairs, macarons and a kind of dulce de leche with green tea -- is extraordinary.

I have not seen large cakes in his rue de Vaugirard store and only a small selection of whole cakes in his stand in Galeries Lafayette. He seems to be a master of the miniature.

I love his black sesame eclairs -- a revelation -- and his version of the classic opera cake made with matcha green tea.  It's odd because I am really not a fan of matcha in desserts, but everything Sadaharu Aoki does with green tea -- including his eclairs, macarons and a kind of dulce de leche with green tea -- is extraordinary.

I have not seen large cakes in his rue de Vaugirard store and only a small selection of whole cakes in his stand in Galeries Lafayette.  He seems to be a master of the miniature.

Hi Dorie, thanks for posting!

If you can, can you elaborate on the "dulce de leche" , matcha style for us?

Like how it's served, any ideas of how he does it, etc.?

Much obliged!

2317/5000

Hi Neil!!!

How did you think the flavours stood up?

Did you enjoy it?

Nice textures and certainly pretty, but I thought the flavors were a little weak. I couldn't really taste the green tea in the cream puff or mille feuille. The orange and chocolate with the kumquat garnish was the best.