• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sumeet spice grinder

ojisan

I posted this query in the general Cooking forum, but got no response, so I'm trying here...

Does anyone know how the self-contained Multi-grinder compares w/ the Asia Grinder attachment for the Mixie? Pros/cons regarding performance, capacities, sturdiness etc.? I don't really need the Mixie's blender attachment, but perhaps the small quantity attachment might be useful?

I'm interested in finely ground spices and making wet pastes - not crushed ice etc.

Also, any recommendation on where to buy in San Jose or Santa Clara? Or online?

Monterey Bay area

• 3 weeks later...

Last question first. I bought mine at Kumud Electronics in Santa Clara on El Camino and lawrence Expwy.

The small quantity blender attachments work great. The newer model doesn't have the side clips that sometimes break. The Sumeet is a sturdy, powerful grinder. It's expensive, but worth every penny.

Has anyone ever tried grinding cacao beans into chocolate with one of these types of grinders?

Yup, it works beautifully. First thing to do is grind the sugar that you are going to conch with your chocolate liquor into a powder in the sumeet. Dump it out. Use the sumeet to grind your roasted cocoa nibs (note you have to winnow off the shells first if you are starting from beans) to chocolate liquor. It takes a minute or two, but once you see the shine to tell you it has liquified you are all set.

gallery_34671_3115_1510.jpg

Here is a picture of the chocolate liquor made in the sumeet. Not a great picture unfortuantely.

Has anyone ever tried grinding cacao beans into chocolate with one of these types of grinders?

Yup, it works beautifully.

Are you using the Multi-grind, or the Mixie blender? I'd like to know how they compare....

Monterey Bay area

Yup, it works beautifully.

Are you using the Multi-grind, or the Mixie blender? I'd like to know how they compare....

Multi grind. Never tried the Mixie. Love the Multi grind. It works well for a variety of tasks. I bought it originally to grind huge sticks of siagon cinnamon and haven't looked back.

Hi Ojisan,

If I may be pardoned for a presumptuous comment, here is an idea you might want to consider before buying either an expensive Sumeet or the even more wonderful Ultrapride plus [see innoconcepts website].

A flat grinding stone [12 -14inch size] and roller should set you back $ 15 [don't pay $20] from a Bangladeshi or Indian store in Brooklyn, Flushing, LA, SF etc. With a little practice, this will turn out really excellent wet pastes, fine grinds etc.

Assuming you already have an ordinary Oster-type blender, it can do initial, rough, wet or dry grind for a few seconds, leaving you to finish off the rest on stone with remarkably little effort.

The stone is my daily pepper mill, cilantro-mint chutney maker, garlic crusher, pesto maker etc. It washes clean with just plain water, stacks on its side. I use it resting on a heavy duty Sanituff board that permanently spans one half of a double sink; with the sink sprayer, clean-up is a breeze.

Of course, one must be psychologically attuned to the device. For example, a Thai cook might be uncomfortable without his/her mortar/pestle, just as i am happy with something from my natal culture that might otherwise feel and look awkward to another. But think on it!

Edited by v. gautam (log)