• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Moscow Mule: Mugs, Recipes

ThinkingBartender

I forgot you asked about the brand of ginger beer.  My store had two different brands, I bought the Stoli.  The other I don't remember the brand but it was in a dark bottle.

I had no idea Stoli made such a product. On Amazon, it's expensive and has mixed reviews.

Could the other have been Fentiman's or Goya? Both come in a dark brown bottle, iirc.

Gosling's also makes a credible ginger beer, in a can. Chez Alex, we usually use Regatta. Fever-Tree and the "traditional" Barritts also are good.

If you do try making a Dark and Stormy, please let us know what you thought. The rum should tame some of the ginger's bite and intensity.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Dump the vodka and go with a nice bracing blanco tequila! It probably has a name but I call it the Guadalajara Burro.  I like Dulce Vida because it has a bit more proof (100 pf) than most tequilas.Will help provide some balance to the ginger beer.

My typical choice of ginger beer has been Fever Tree or the even spicier pink top Blenheim ginger ale if you can find it. Although if you don't like heavy ginger or really spicy ginger beer then you might not care for the Blenheim. It has a kick like a Guadalajara burro! 

• Like 2

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I'm guessing you (lindag) like ginger in general, just not the particular flavor of that ginger beer. Another idea to tone down that flavor is to use it in place of some of the stock in a ginger-carrot soup recipe.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Dump the vodka and go with a nice bracing blanco tequila! It probably has a name but I call it the Guadalajara Burro.  I like Dulce Vida because it has a bit more proof (100 pf) than most tequilas.Will help provide some balance to the ginger beer.

My typical choice of ginger beer has been Fever Tree or the even spicier pink top Blenheim ginger ale if you can find it. Although if you don't like heavy ginger or really spicy ginger beer then you might not care for the Blenheim. It has a kick like a Guadalajara burro! 

That sounds really good!  The last of my blanco tequila went into a batch of tequila por mi amante just yesterday so I'll need to restock.  I'll look for the Dulce Vida as I have not tried it.

My results with the Dark and Stormy cocktail:

I discovered that while I have lots of rum, the only dark rum I had was Myers.

So I made my drink with 2 oz. Myers, 3 oz.. of the Stoli ginger beer and half an oz. of fresh lime juice.

Maybe it was the Myers?  I didn't much care for it. 

I do have some nice lunazul blanco that I really like so I could try that version next!

Moscow Mules are popular right now, and for good reason--they're delicious! That having been said, they can easily turn into sugar bombs if you aren't careful. I've tried quite a few ginger beers and Gosling's is the only one I'll use. They even make a diet version which I keep meaning to try in hopes that it will cut down on the sweetness.

For some fun variations, try adding Monin syrups (peach is a good one) and/or using flavored vodkas. A restaurant here uses Enchanted Peach Vodka and adds a chargrilled peach wedge in the drink. It's awesome. Tito's is selling a pretty badass copper mule mug right now too.

19509130780_1fb9089031_z.jpg

Edited by AggiePhil (log)