• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Moscow Mule: Mugs, Recipes

ThinkingBartender

Hi All,

Can anyone verify the authenticity of Copper Mugs as part of the Moscow Mule Legend?

My suspicion has been raised by seeing an advert in a Reno, Nevada Newspaper from 1947.

The Piccadilly Bar.

What a kick --- The Moscow Mule

The "Moscow Mule" is now in Reno!

Originating at the Cock 'N Bull, Hollywood's most famous English type tavern, this unusual refreshment has become so popular it has even been featured in LIFE.

To do justice to its unusual and tantalizing taste a special 12 ounce copper mug was created.

An exclusive feature with THE PICCADILLY.

(photograph of copper mug)

Exclusive feature means unique feature right? And the wording of the "To do justice..." part is interesting.

I know that Oscar Heimo (1945) stated that the Moscow Mule was served in a mug, but did anyone actually state a copper mug before?

Does anyone have access to this LIFE magazine? circa. 1947.

Cheers!

George

Yes, I am given to understand that a copper mug was part of the original schtick. Since this drink was, for all intents and purposes, an advertising gambit, I'm sure there is a fairly unequivoical record and I don't see any reason to doubt the official story.

--

I first encountered the Moscow Mule at the Cock 'N Bull in Hollywood probably in the sixties sometime. It was always served in a copper mug. Unfortunately, some years ago the Cock 'N Bull was demolished and there is now an automobile dealer there.

• 2 months later...

Admin: threads merged.

From the NYHT, 28 July 1948:

Experiment With Vodka Lead to Moscow Mule.

Lime Juice, Ginger Beer and Ice Cubes Are Added to Give Potent New Drink.

By Clementine Paddleford

TEAM WORK--The mule was born in Manhattan but "stalled" on the West Coast for the duration. The birthplace of "Little Moscow" was in New York's Chatham Hotel. That was back in 1941 when the first carload of Jack Morgan's Cock 'n' Bull ginger beer was railing over the plains to give New Yorkers a happy surprise. Here was ginger beer in crockery bottles tasting exactly like that of old England.

Cheers!

George

From what I have been able to gather J. G. Martin was the Grandson of Gilbert F. Heublein, and attained the Presidency of G. F. Heublein & Bro. upon the death of his Grandfather in 1937.

Can anyone tell me if Martin acquired Smirnoff for $1 or for $14,000; accounts differ.

Also does anyone know who "Jack", John A. Morgan, was? Other than being the owner of the Cock N' Bull products and the Cock N' Bull pub, what is his background?

Does anyone have any tidbits of information about the people behind the Moscow Mule, not just the drink itself?

Cheers!

George

p.s. today was the 10th anniversary of the Webtender Forums. :biggrin:

Have to agree with Dan Ryan - I think the dark 'n' stormy is better than a moscow mule.  The rum over the vodka really makes a difference!

If you want to go on about what tastes better, then a mention for the original Moscow Mule, the Mamie Taylor, must be made. Scotch, Lime, Ginger Beer.

• 3 years later...

I've recently inherited a set of copper Smirnoff Mule mugs. I have had and enjoyed a Mosocw Mule in a glass, and I've always thought the mugs really cute, but are they safe? Thanks!

While I'm on the subject, favorite recipes for Moscow Mules would be welcome - whether I serve them in mugs OR glasses!

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

There should be no safety issue. After all, the best water pipes are made of copper.

As for a recipe, there doesn't seem to be much need to deviate from the original: 1.5 ounces of vodka and half a lime (plus shell) in an ice-filled 10 ounce copper mug topped with ginger beer. The main variable is going to be the brand of ginger beer (or you could do it with ginger syrup and seltzer or ginger juice , simple syrup and seltzer).

--

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is finding the right ginger beer. Anybody have any suggestions?

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

The problem is finding the right ginger beer. Anybody have any suggestions?

If you like a serious ginger kick, try Blenheim's. They have their original extra spicy (pink bottlecap) and a newer less-spicy one. The original spicy is fantastic in a Moscow Mule. They're hard to find in stores but I've seen them on the Kegworks website.

Dan

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried nearly every brand that they carry at my local Bevmo! and the majority of them are just average, with a couple that could rightly be called ginger ale instead..

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

One that hasn't been mentioned that I like is Maine Root Ginger Brew (found at Whole Foods). It's not the spiciest out there (it's much better than a Ginger Ale, but I still add a dash or two of habanero bitters), but it has great flavor.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

• 5 years later...

I saw some program on television lately that showed people drinking these.

I got some ginger beer and made myself one.  It was okay but a little heavy on the ginger flavor which I'm not super in love with. 

I liked the drink but I'd like to cut the ginger taste with something else.

Can you suggest something?  I've got to use up that ginger beer in the fridge.

What amounts of ginger beer, vodka, and lime juice did you use? Which brand of ginger beer?

Have you ever tried a Dark and Stormy?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

What amounts of ginger beer, vodka, and lime juice did you use? Which brand of ginger?

I used equal amounts of vodka and lime juice (2-1/2 ozs.) and about 5 ozs. ginger beer.

Is there something unique about Goslings rum? Or can I just use any light rum?

What amounts of ginger beer, vodka, and lime juice did you use? Which brand of ginger?

I used equal amounts of vodka and lime juice (2-1/2 ozs.) and about 5 ozs. ginger beer.

Goslings Black Seal is a dark rum. It's the traditional choice for a D&S, so I haven't tried any others.

Those Dark & Stormy popsicles in blue_dolphin's recent post look awfully good.

Re the MM, I'd recommend 1½ oz of vodka (I use Tito's), ¾ oz of fresh lime juice, and about 4 oz of ginger beer, with lots of ice. I asked about the brand of ginger beer because some are more sharply ginger-y than others.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Gosling has a trademark on the "Dark and Stormy". Since I'm not bartending for money, I make a point of calling it a Dark and Stormy no matter which rum I use. I like about any dark Jamaican or Cuban rum for these. And I find that the rum cuts the ginger sharpness.

Under no circumstances try Bundaberg rum - at least the yellow label.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

. I asked about the brand of ginger beer because some are more sharply ginger-y than others.

I forgot you asked about the brand of ginger beer.  My store had two different brands, I bought the Stoli.  The other I don't remember the brand but it was in a dark bottle.