• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mashed Potato Theory 101

Jenny McClure

Hmmm. We rarely had mashed when I was a kid - both my parents are teachers, and it was a feat to get baked ones on the table at a reasonable hour. Still, I can't remember when I learned to make them, so it must have been awhile ago.

Usually it was the standard mash with milk and butter, but the much-requested dish (and one I still love) is a number with spinach and sour cream mixed in, topped with cheddar cheese and heated until melty.

DELISH.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

We ate lots and lots of mashed potatoes growing up, but they were NEVER peeled. Later on, I found out this was pretty unusual.

My mother always made a "baked potato casserole" that I still love beyond all reason today. It's just potatoes mashed with sour cream, butter, garlic salt, crumbled up bacon, the tops of green onions or chives, and pepper. You put that into a casserole dish, top with lots of grated cheddar cheese and bake until warm and bubbly. It's so simple and home-style but I really love it. I just wish I could serve it and eat it more often without being made fun of.  :hmmm:

Who's going to make fun of you here? I myself made something very similar last night: Yukon golds, boiled, then smashed with a little milk and butter. I folded in blue cheese and chopped scallions, then spread them in a buttered gratin dish. A healthy sprinkling of parmesan over the top (which I sculpted roughly, so as to maximize crisping potential), then into the oven until it browned.

Thanks! Your thing sounds REALLY good! I'm going to try that sometime soon!

I sometimes boil and mash carrots with my spuds. Really good.

And that casserole sounds awesome, Miss Amy, I'm not laughing, I'm drooling.

Thank you so much!

Thank you, MissAmy - your potato casserole is on the menu for tonight!  I surmised that it could be prepped ahead of time and re-heated at the last minute - exactly what I needed.

Awesome! It can certainly be made ahead. What did you think? Did you like it?

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

. . .
Thank you, MissAmy - your potato casserole is on the menu for tonight!  I surmised that it could be prepped ahead of time and re-heated at the last minute - exactly what I needed.

Awesome! It can certainly be made ahead. What did you think? Did you like it?

We loved it! I ate the leftovers the following day.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My potatoes for eating-as-a-side mashed are always made with fresh potatoes, milk or half&half, tons of butter, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, BUT for a casserole topping (cottage pie etc.) I love the packaged mixes that only call for water. They are flavored; cheddar, sour cream and chive, etc, and of COURSE I add extra goodies to them! They're great when the potatoes don't have to shine, just contribute.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"