• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gingerbread and Lemon Buttercream

Kim Shook

I just finished a test batch of gingerbread cupcakes with lemon frosting. I used a mix and canned frosting - I do this a lot when I am just testing combinations, it goes together quickly and even if it isn't what I want to end up with exactly, it does give me an idea of if it will work or not.

Anyway - I really like the combination of the gingerbread and the lemon buttercream. I don't really have a wonderful go-to recipe for gingerbread and would like to know your recommendations. I like the Cooks Illustrated baking book for many things - had anyone tried their gingerbread? Also - I have made basic buttercream - how do I make it a lemon buttercream.

I am planning on topping with a little X made of candied ginger and candied lemon peel (I do know how to do that :raz:)

Also - I have made basic buttercream - how do I make it a lemon buttercream.

Simply add lemon juice and/or extract to taste. The other way I know of is to fold in lemon curd, which I personally haven't done.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Also - I have made basic buttercream - how do I make it a lemon buttercream.

Simply add lemon juice and/or extract to taste. The other way I know of is to fold in lemon curd, which I personally haven't done.

I have, and it is much better than using extract. If you don't mind the added texture (such as for filling) I like to add lemon zest as well. But, if you are trying to ice smooth those little nubs will drag.

ETA: For the gingerbread, there is a thread on that already -- try a search. I believe one of the favorites was the one from Gramercy tavern with stout. My favorite is out of Baking with Julia.

Edited by SweetSide (log)
Cheryl, The Sweet Side

When I was growing up we ate gingerbread cake with lemon sauce all the time. Brings back great memories.

I'm on the side of not using extract...I think it's too harsh of a flavor in something as delicate as buttercream. I also like to use a small amount of pure lemon oil in conjunction with the lemon juice and some very finely chopped zest.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

One of my favorite gingerbread memories is an idea from the back of the Betty Crocker mix box: Make gingerbread as usual. Serve a square of it, warm, with a thin "pat" of cream cheese on top and a generous dollop of warm lemon sauce. That was one delicious thing.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

Here is a previous discussion about searching for the best gingercake:

"best of gingercakes, me want me want"

And here's some interesting ginger-related dessert recipes (including gingerbread):

"Ginger goodies, treats for ginger fanatics"

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver