• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weeping Strawberries

Kim Shook

On commercially baked goods, I often see what seems to be just sugared strawberries decorating the cake/cheesecake etc. I especially noticed this in Lorna and Henry's blog on a cheesecake that they showed from Macrina Bakery. Here is that one:

gallery_34972_3570_24310.jpg

As opposed to the weepy, gooey one of mine that oozed down the sides of my cheesecake:

gallery_34972_3570_297617.jpg

It's hard to see in my picture, but believe me - it gooed and oozed :rolleyes:! How can I avoid this and get that nice crisp looking strawberry half on my cake?

Maybe this would work: Paint the outside of the halved strawberries with lightly stirred egg whilte; then sprinkle with coarse sugar and let dry a bit.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Maybe this would work:  Paint the outside of the halved strawberries with lightly stirred egg whilte; then sprinkle with coarse sugar and let dry a bit.

This is exactly what I did :blink: .

Interesting, I used this technique successfullly with blueberries. There is the cut edge of the strawberries but I would have thought the uncut side of the strawberries would look similar to that in the first photo after undergoing this treatment.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Don't use overly ripe berries, as was noted. Don't hull the berries (remove the leaves at the tops) and instead of washing under running water, use a dampened paper towel to wipe each berry with. Transfer berries to dry paper towels and pat dry. Do not place on cake too far ahead of serving time. Can't be certain but it looks like powdered sugar was sieved over the berries in the first picture. Or it could be fine sugar.

I was a bit concerned about not actually running cold water over berries to wash them, considering we had an incident with e-coli being present on Californian strawberries a few years ago. But I am assured that this isn't a regular problem and even rinsing under cold water would not have lessened the risk.

So go with the dampened paper towel method but if you feel you must wash the berries, do not hull first as this allows more water to enter the berries.

Berries will naturally weep whether refrigerated or not, after a period of time. So try to place berries as close to serving time as possible. Nothing you do to the berries, including using a sugar glaze, will stop this bleeding out of the juices, it will eventually happen.

Strawberry incontinence tsk tsk. :laugh:

If you are going to slice them, use the sharpest knife you can find.

Keep them chilled.

How did you wash them?? Some people do not wash strawberries. I do because I believe in birds and more importantly bird doo. But I dry my strawberries thoroughly by rolling them around in my hands in a paper towel.

If I am doing a boat load of strawberries, I line two large containers with paper towels and roll one layer of berries around in there and switch them to the other container and put new dry towels in the first container and just keep going until all are nice & dry. Dry enough to dip in chocolate.

Are you piercing the berries at all??? They really shouldn't be peeing like that if they are relatively fresh and kept chilled and not been pierced.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Does the egg wash really work? Does it form a dry coating? (I've never tried that...)

Sugar acts like salt and sprinkled on cut strawberries will draw more moisture out of them. What about putting whole ones on?

I often garnish with berries (cut and whole) - never sugared. They're always good for at least 1 full day.

I use strawberries all of the time where I work and, honestly, they keep better when stone dry, fresh and slightly underripe, however they are very delicate fruits ... they're not designed to keep and you shouldn't expect them to keep. The bakery has the advantage of getting a lot of fresh product that doesn't have to keep long because of their volume.

Line Cook and Food Geek, Seattle, WA

Can we be absolutely sure the strawberries in the first picture were not clever marzipan berries, or fondant berries or some other "imitation"?? No matter how dry the berries, sugar usually makes them sticky-shiny, not powdery-dry, except in the very short term, doesnt it?

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

Can we be absolutely sure the strawberries in the first picture were not clever marzipan berries, or fondant berries or some other "imitation"?? No matter how dry the berries, sugar usually makes them sticky-shiny, not powdery-dry, except in the very short term, doesnt it?

If you look closely to the third slice on the first photo, you can see where it has started to weep a bit also. I say they're real...

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

I'm sorry, every time I see that subject

"Weeping Strawberries"

all I can think is,

Stop upsetting them!!!

Anti-depressants maybe a little valium???

Dr. Phill???

Big box a kleenex and a little hug???  :rolleyes:

:laugh:  :raz:

:laugh::biggrin::blink:

Well see, my strawberries don't weep, they bleed out. It just sounds more graphic and I am watching far too many C.S.I.'s. So call the paramedics instead! There you go, easy solution, put bandaids on the cut edges and problem solved!

Try using snow sugar (otherwise known as sucre neige) instead of regular powdered sugar. It's formulated to not melt when sprinkled on moist surfaces, so it shouldn't draw as much juice out of your berries. I think King Arthur sells it.

Thanks for making me aware of this product, nightscotsman. Sounds like it could be helpful in a number of situations.

I'm sorry, every time I see that subject

"Weeping Strawberries"

all I can think is,

Stop upsetting them!!!

Anti-depressants maybe a little valium???

Dr. Phill???

Big box a kleenex and a little hug???  :rolleyes:

:laugh:  :raz:

:laugh::biggrin::blink:

Well see, my strawberries don't weep, they bleed out. It just sounds more graphic and I am watching far too many C.S.I.'s. So call the paramedics instead! There you go, easy solution, put bandaids on the cut edges and problem solved!

Umm, mine 'pee' ... Depends maybe???

• 6 months later...

I usually glaze them with a cold-set glaze on the cut end, then you can dust with "snow sugar", aka non-melting sugar, aka donut sugar. You could use a hot glaze or even apricot jelly on the cut end, because you're basically trying to prevent any leakage, which happens when cut strawberry flesh meets sugar. Or you could use whole strawberries (thus doubling the cost of your garnishes).

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe