• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'96 Cavallotto Bricco Giuseppe Barolo

Bill Miller

I have 3 bottles properly stored. Parker gushes abou the 97's and 98's but does not mention the 96's, which was supposed to be a good year for barolos. I want to open a bottle later this year but would like to know if anyone has any notes on this wine.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

I have 3 bottles properly stored.  Parker gushes abou the 97's and 98's but does not mention the 96's, which was supposed to be a good year for barolos.  I want to open a bottle later this year but would like to know if anyone has any notes on this wine.

This 96 Cavallotto is an outstanding wine that is superior to the 98 and far better than the 97. Most producers consider 1996 the greatest of a string of great vintages only challenged by 2001. This is a classic Barolo from a classic vintage so you need to be in no hurry to drink it as most 96's are just now started to show their best. If these were my bottles I would start to drink them at about 15 years old. This all of course assumes excellent storage conditions.

I have 3 bottles properly stored.  Parker gushes abou the 97's and 98's but does not mention the 96's, which was supposed to be a good year for barolos.  I want to open a bottle later this year but would like to know if anyone has any notes on this wine.

This 96 Cavallotto is an outstanding wine that is superior to the 98 and far better than the 97. Most producers consider 1996 the greatest of a string of great vintages only challenged by 2001. This is a classic Barolo from a classic vintage so you need to be in no hurry to drink it as most 96's are just now started to show their best. If these were my bottles I would start to drink them at about 15 years old. This all of course assumes excellent storage conditions.

Thanks for the reply Craig--it's really tempting to try one of the bottles!!! I may drink the '97 or '98 first.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Thanks for the reply Craig--it's really tempting to try one of the bottles!!! I may drink the '97 or '98 first.

I would go ahead and start drinking the 97's (no rush though) followed by the 98's (which is a better vintage, very nice and generally overlooked) before the 96's, which might last forever.