• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bad cook coming for dinner!!

Saffy

This has happened to me quite a few times. I always remind myself that if my only interest in life is food, I can go to a restaurant. But if I like to socialize and have friends, and if I want those friends to be kind and generous and outgoing, sometimes they will invite me for dinner. And often, it will be less than brilliant.

Sometimes, it will be outright bad. A cook who made a "Chicken Supreme Casserole," but forgot to pre-thaw the frozen chicken pieces (legs, thighs, breasts, etc.), comes immediately to mind. She started the evening with what she called "Cheese Surprises." The "surprise" was that they became lodged in the roof of your mouth and stayed there. There was no removing them without sticking your fingers into your mouth to pry the things off. My erstwhile hostess said, by way of explanation, "Well, that's why I called them 'Cheese Surprises.' They were originally called, 'Cheese Delights,' and I don't know what I did wrong, but I tried one before you came and it wasn't delightful at all. I had to serve them anyway, because I didn't have anything else to put out." Now, I submit to you that I received the far richer experience this way than had she offered us a sublime paté. (And, by the way, we never DID eat the Chicken Supreme. At 11:00pm, the sauce was as dry and cracked as a desert riverbed, and the chicken was still not done. It was supposed to be "finished" by flaming with brandy, but instead, we all just ate the rice and vegetables, drank the brandy, laughed our butts off, and then went home.)

When I have the bad cooks over to my place, I almost always wind up doing some sort of cookout.... ribs, chicken, lamb, salmon....something like that. I know it'll be really good, but won't make them feel inferior or intimidated (after all, what was their big crime...trying and failing to please me?).

I usually do typical but really good sides.... potato salad, beans, slaw...that kind of thing, or cucumber salad or corn relish.

And then something that is not particularly difficult, but is always spectacularly tasty, like Strawberry Pie, for dessert.

And I remember that the gift of friendship, of laughter, of companionship, is the far greater prize. And these are the things that the "bad cooks" were offering me. And things that I am always grateful to accept.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

And I remember that the gift of friendship, of laughing, of companionship, is the far greater prize.  And these are the things that the "bad cooks" were offering me.  And things that I am always grateful to accept.

How very true and of course absolutely the most important thing of all.

Thank you for the suggestions too I think I will stick with unintimidating.

Since it is winter here a cook out is definately out of the question, but something nice and warming would go down well.

I think I am going to do a nice Roast chicken with thyme and lemon with a garlic and yoghurt sauce ( in a jug so they can choose to put it on or not, as they wish ) a selection of seasonal roast veges, most likely kumara, potato, baby onions and yams roasted with some nice fresh rosemary sprigs.

I think I have decided on a chocolate tart with some fresh sliced pears and a handful of honeyed walnuts for dessert. Or perhaps a Gascon apple pie ( made with apples, brandy,nuts and filo pastry )

Followed up with some nice homemade cookies and coffee.

Hopefully none of that will be too overpowering for them.

btw, I am definately going to stay well clear of anything called cheese surprises :)

I love being cooked for by my friends. It is , the thought that counts. I share my knowledge only when I am asked (or if there is danger of an explosion). I have taught many of them how to make chicken stock, and what to save in their freezer. We have roasted chicken and turkeys together. I am happy to answer panicked emergency food disasters. They are all becoming better cooks.

etc... Many people want to improve their cooking skills- they are just shy

about asking.

The nicest present my friend ever gave me, a birthday cake she had made and brought to the restaurant. It was beautiful (and horrible). I am a Pastry chef, and have cooked/ baked professionally for 20 years (I did savory for the first 8). I don't want people to be afraid to cook for me. I want to share my love for food and cooking with them.

I would make a roast chicken, stuffed with lemon, taragon, thyme, garlic and onions. A green salad, maybe some baby beets tossed with roasted shallots and evoo. New potatoes, maybe something with corn or tomatoes since they are so good right now. I would make a fruit pie or tart for dessert.

The hubby of the couple was telling his wife how lovely the meal was and what a nice treat to have something so good.

I am not certain that this tells us so much that the husband loved the dinner as it tells us that the husband loved the wife.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

And I remember that the gift of friendship, of laughing, of companionship, is the far greater prize.  And these are the things that the "bad cooks" were offering me.  And things that I am always grateful to accept.

That about says it. Bad company can ruin a good meal, but a bad meal can't ruin good company.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Do not however eat at their place ever again after this as you will be served 'creative fusion food'.

I am REALLY hoping that we are not going to be invited over for another meal in this lifetime.

If we are we decided that maybe we would suggest going out instead or perhaps a picnic lunch where we can take all three of our very noisey children. I think that would do the trick hehe

Do the three noisy children often accompany you ?

EGAD, I think I've just gotten to the bottom of this.

Maybe someone dumped a juicebox on a Bakhara carpet -

You ate the Payback meal !

I just wanted to say thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. The couple came over tonight for dinner and we had

Creamy Pumpkin soup

Roast chicken cooked with lemon, thyme, majoram and oregano on a bed of onions with a yoghurt and garlic sauce.

Roasted pumpkin, kumara and potatos with piripiri ( just a hint)

Couscous with pinenuts and almonds

A choice of chocolate tart or Gascon apple/walnut pie ( apples macerated in brandy and sugar, filo pastry case all frilly on top.. pretty but not too fancy. ) for dessert

Coffee and florentines

and finally a nice slab of farmhouse brie with quince jelly

Dinner went well, the company was good and everyone except me had seconds. So I really hope they went away feeling good. It is the first time I have ever really felt anxious about serving a nice meal to someone .. strange feeling.