• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bakeries in Berlin

Dan,

Can't think of any trad German stuff off hand, but will let you know. Also remember that it's a pretty good city for experiencing traditional Turkish pastries. If you don't mind a little over-exposure to sugar syrup, there are some good pastry shops in Kreuzberg: a couple very near Hasir for example.

You might want to head to the food hall at KaDeWe (it's certainly worth seeing), and make some enquiries. I don't know if their own pastries are up to scratch, but I'm sure some friendly conversations with likely-looking people could point you in the right direction.

Does anyone have any "must see" bakeries, pastry shops or interesting food shops thay can recommend in Berlin. Will be there for a few days next week. Is there a really good berliner (doughnut) to be found?

Dan

There was an excellent post on bakeries in Berlin on an earlier post. Just scroll down this forum and look for Berlin. It is probably a few threads down.

Here is the post that porkwah was referring to from le gourmet:

It's post #15 of this Berlin thread: click

Thanks, Malacitana. I arrived in Berlin yesterday and actually ate at VAU last evening. My husband, who has been here for a couple of weeks already, said it was 4 or 5 times better than anything else he had had here, but we both thought it was nowhere near up to the standards of, say, some wonderful restaurants we tried in Sweden a couple of years ago. Vau's food was creative and attractive, and the service was just fine, but in most of the dishes, the flavors did not quite come together gracefully. I do appreciate the recommendation for 44; I'll try to get there.

Do you by any chance know of any really good traditional bakeries here? I'm particularly interested in bread, but I'm more than happy to go hunting down good pastry as well.

Another good restaurant is the "Quadriga" in the Hotel "Brandenburger Hof" near Kurfürstendamm. The chef there is Bobby Braeuer who was several years chef in the "Koenigshof" in Munich.

Traditional Bakeries ?? All German bakeries offer the same stuff in different qualities. What's the best belongs to the clients taste.

Look for this sign "Goldene Brezel 2005/2006" the following bakeries are awarded.

Axel Kaczmarzik, Charlottenburg

BackWerk

Nehringstr. 3

14059 Berlin

BackHaus GmbH, Falkensee

H.-J. Leib

Bahnhofstr. 6-8

14612 Falkensee

Bäckerei Hohenschönhausen

Jürgen Rauch

Sandinostr. 14

13055 Berlin

Bäckerei Köpenick

Jürgen Buhrmeister

Wiebelskircher Weg 39

12589 Berlin

Rainer Schwadtke, Köpenick

Dresdner Feinbäckerei

Bölschestr. 89

12587 Berlin

Bäckerei Köpenick

Ralf Sommerwerk

Borgmannstr. 6

12555 Berlin

Feinbäckerei Lichtenberg

Uwe Richter

Einbecker Str. 46

10315 Berlin

Bäckerei Pankow

Karsten John

Wollankstr. 110

13187 Berlin

Bäckerei Prenzlauer Berg

Kempe

Hufelandstr. 9

10407 Berlin

Bäckerei Prenzlauer Berg

Manfred Kädtler

Danziger Str. 135

10407 Berlin

Bäckerei Prenzlauer Berg

Lars Siebert

Schönfließer Str. 12

10439 Berlin

Bäckerei/Konditorei Schöneberg

Johann Mayer OHG

Kurt und Karsten Berning

Ebersstr. 42

10827 Berlin

Bäckerei Schöneberg

Walter Seitz

Brot und Wein

Hochkirchstr. 10

10829 Berlin

Familienbäckerei Spandau

Rösler GmbH

Falkenseer Chaussee 194

13589 Berlin

Bäckerei Steglitz

Walf GmbH

Hans-Joachim Blauert

Lankwitzer Str. 2 - 3

12209 Berlin

Bäckerei Steglitz

Alfons Wagner

Sachsenwaldstr. 30

12157 Berlin

Bäckerei Steglitz

Georg Hillmann GmbH & Co. KG

Hindenburgdamm 93 a

12203 Berlin

Bäckerei Tempelhof

Ingo Wüstenhöfer

Marienfelder Allee 99

12277 Berlin

Bäcker Tempelhof

Wiedemann GmbH

Wilhelm-v.-Siemens-Str. 26-28

12277 Berlin

Café Obergfell GmbH, Tempelhof

Lichtenrader Damm 36

12305 Berlin

Bäckerei Tempelhof

Stefan Obergfell

Alt-Lichtenrade 140

12309 Berlin

Enjoy hunting

It would be great to hear your specific impressions of some of these places if you check some of these out. Have a great trip.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thank you so much for these links. Now it looks like I wont get into town as I'll be working in Leipzig and will just have to travel from Berlin airport without a detour. But I will get there in the next few months.

Thanks.

regards

Dan

Edited by danlepard (log)

Thank you so much for these links. Now it looks like I wont get into town as I'll be working in Leipzig and will just have to travel from Berlin airport without a detour. But I will get there in the next few months.

Thanks.

regards

Dan

I was born and raised in Leipzig, left in '49, visited back in '89 and again in 2003.

Don't know if I can help much, but ask me, it's worth a try.

I have very good memories, (geographically speaking, plus history and Kultur) although not so good during the war and after during the Russian occupation and starving DDR times.

Peter

Peter, thank you for the offer but I dashed off without looking over the weekend. So I didn't get a chance to look for any bakeries in Leipzig. But I did have excellent food, really good quality simply prepared, heavy on the meat. By chance there was a local Oktoberfest in Eisleber where I was working. I hadn't been to a fair like this for years, and never one where the food was so good, great beer and wine on tap, ending with an extraordinary firework display that went on for about half an hour. Quite wonderful. I'm going to try and go again next year, if only for the large pork steaks grilled over a wood fire and served with slices of dense rye bread, pickled cabbage and cold beer.

http://www.wiesenmarkt.de/index.php?task=Home&vs=1

regards,

Dan