• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Cuban food in Vancouver

jlo mein

I've been looking for a Cuban restaurant in Vancouver for a while, may be a long shot. Just curious if there actually is one out there.

Also if anyone knows about any restaurants/bars/lounges that have an extensive Rum selection, it would be appreciated.

Stovetop - why do that to us? For a second I was all happy and excited - and then I crashed landed into a pool of tears.

I agree with Jason - Havana on Commercial is heartbreaking in its lack of Cuban food (or Latino even). I think there is a market for a restaurant called 'Shanghai' that will specialize in the bestest perogi ever.

I agree with Jason - Havana on Commercial is heartbreaking in its lack of Cuban food (or Latino even).  I think there is a market for a restaurant called 'Shanghai' that will specialize in the bestest perogi ever.

I'm confused...the site DarkDante linked, www.havana-art.com, has a menu filled with Italian items? They also have a cigar list, yet have no rum drinks?

On a google search for Havana restaurant I found www.havanarestaurant.ca. It lists the same address (1212 Commercial), and has a latin sounding menu, and an extensive rum cocktail list.

I wonder which website is the most up to date.

i really want to have a Cuban paella...

Thanks for the heads up on The Reef...I heard about them a long time ago but I never bothered to check out their drink menu, and they have quite a few rums.

Edited by jlo mein (log)

I'm confused...the site DarkDante linked, www.havana-art.com, has a menu filled with Italian items?  They also have a cigar list, yet have no rum drinks?

On a google search for Havana restaurant I found www.havanarestaurant.ca.  It lists the same address (1212 Commercial), and has a latin sounding menu, and an extensive rum cocktail list.

I wonder which website is the most up to date.

i really want to have a Cuban paella...

I'm not sure what's up with the -art website, but its menu seems to be pretty close to the entrees in the other website. The last time I went to Havana's (half a year or so ago) the menu matched the www.havanarestaurant.ca menu. While I'm not qualified to say whether the food was Cubano autentico, it made for a pretty decent brunch, although I thought it was a bit pricey.

You can try Havana Restaurant on Commercial Drive for some good cuban food:

i wouldn't classify this as legit cuban food on any level.

Just curious ... when was the last time you were in Cuba?

Don't get me wrong ... I have friends that visit Cuba every year, and who'd back up your assertion.

I'm just curious how you're able to determine what qualifies as "legit" Cuban.

A.

You can try Havana Restaurant on Commercial Drive for some good cuban food:

i wouldn't classify this as legit cuban food on any level.

Just curious ... when was the last time you were in Cuba?

Don't get me wrong ... I have friends that visit Cuba every year, and who'd back up your assertion.

I'm just curious how you're able to determine what qualifies as "legit" Cuban.

A.

You caught me. I'm an american.

But even in the Nation's capital, we have some pretty decent Cuban restaurants. I also have a couple of Cuban friends who have testified to the authenticity of these joints. So although my knowledge is a degree of freedom off, I'm confident in it.

I went to Havana on Commerical this summer with friends and nothing there tasted like any Cuban I've had before. Shit, nothing on the menu sounded like the stuff I've had before. But I'm sure there are Italian and western-style pub fare to be found in Cuba. Is this what you are getting at?

My friend Darryl said his burger was alright though.

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

Last time I was at Havana - the special was a stir fry! And I ordered it! It was terrible - but I have no one to blame but myself. I have not mastered the art of sitting down and looking at the menu and then getting up and leaving when things are looking bad.

BTW - Havana seems to consistently win best Latino Restauarant in the reader's choice Georgia Straight awards. So there you go.

Anyone heard of Century?  The place with the mural of Che on the wall...I think that classifies as Cuban....they have an extensive rum list, though not as large as Nu's and they have a "cuban sandwich" at lunch.

And they are also participating in City Dine. A good cause to support at a great restaurant. One thing though, I thought Che was from Argentina?

Anyone heard of Century?  The place with the mural of Che on the wall...I think that classifies as Cuban....they have an extensive rum list, though not as large as Nu's and they have a "cuban sandwich" at lunch.

And they are also participating in City Dine. A good cause to support at a great restaurant. One thing though, I thought Che was from Argentina?

He is, but he became a fellow traveller of Castro's and was part of the Cuban Revolution

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

He is, but he became a fellow traveller of Castro's and was part of the Cuban Revolution

I know who Che was, just being cheeky with the fact he wasn't Cuban. Menu at Century for City Dine. Century City Dine Menu

hmm....Havana Paella at LK Dining Lounge...or Spanish Paella at Century...lol.

Tough choice, I will have to look into this further, as I think I only have time over the City Dine period to visit one restaurant.

Canadian's Cuban might be likened Chinese food in Cuba. This is a quote a heard in a documentary on Chinese Food in foreign places (Last years film festival):

In Cuba (I think it was Havanna):

Host: "What do you guys think of chinese food?"

Local: "Chinese food! We love it! Great pizza!!"

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Canadian's Cuban might be likened Chinese food in Cuba. This is a quote a heard in a documentary on Chinese Food in foreign places (Last years film festival):

Local: "Chinese food!  We love it!  Great pizza!!"

Don't knock Cuban-Chinese food. Many Chinese immigrants settled in Latin America during the 1800's because of the Chinese Exclusion Act.

If you ever find yourself in Manhattan, you have to try La Caridad 78 for the Cuban-Chinese.

Local: "Chinese food!  We love it!  Great pizza!!"

Don't knock Cuban-Chinese food. Many Chinese immigrants settled in Latin America during the 1800's because of the Chinese Exclusion Act.

If you ever find yourself in Manhattan, you have to try La Caridad 78 for the Cuban-Chinese.

So true, I'm glad you mentioned it. A friend has heritage through both areas because of it, and their extended family operates an apparently sucessful restaurant in Manhattan, don't know the name though. This interesting article highlights what you mentioned. :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Visited a neighbour two weeks ago and he produced a bottle of 12 year old vintage rum.

I will not go into my last experience with rum after I got off my ship in the Navy.

It was a vintage bottle of Ap*pleton Estates served over ice. Velvet, almost like a good sipping brandy.

I have changed my mind.

Cheers

Poorsh

I've been looking for a Cuban restaurant in Vancouver for a while, may be a long shot.  Just curious if there actually is one out there.

Also if anyone knows about any restaurants/bars/lounges that have an extensive Rum selection, it would be appreciated.

Appleton Estate 12 Year Old should be very good. I have a large bottle of Appleton VX which is a great value and a decent sipping rum, although I use it more for mixing. I'm definitely going to pick up a bottle of 12 YO soon ($33 at the BC Liquor Store), just can't justify it until I finish at least ONE of my 5 current bottles of rum. :raz:

Edited by jlo mein (log)

Went by Havana, last week after my summer in Alberta and looking at the menu, it really does not have any dishes it used to have; there were some which where Cuban related. There is no beans and rice- no Ropa Vieja, no paella or any dishes that used to be on the menu. When I was chef a few years back it did have some good food and after I lefty it did carry on with good food but now it really does not have any menu items from old menus except for two sandwiches.

It is a cool place though and I see it is still the rocking deck.

I am wondering though if an ownership change has occurred?

It was always a service hindered place even in the begining but it was always the place to be.

Steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook