• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: Steamed Pork Spareribs, Blk Bean Sauce

hzrt8w

Pictorial Recipe

Steamed Pork Spareribs with Black Bean Sauce (豉汁蒸排骨)

This dish is very popular in Cantonese home cooking. It is very easy to make and most families know how to make it.

Picture of the finished dish:

gallery_19795_3582_20964.jpg

Serving Suggestion: 2-3

Preparations:

gallery_19795_3582_29661.jpg

Main ingredients (upper left, clockwise):

- about 1 1/2 lb of pork spareribs

- 3-4 tsp of fermented black beans

- 1 small chili pepper

- 3-4 cloves of garlic

- ginger, use about 1-2 inch in length

gallery_19795_3582_29620.jpg

Trim extra fat and cut the pork spareribs into easy-to-eat, bite-size pieces.

gallery_19795_3582_8323.jpg

Slightly rinse the 3-4 tsp of fermented black beans. Smash the black beans with the back of a spoon.

gallery_19795_3582_27334.jpg

Trim end and peel 3-4 cloves of garlic. Press the garlic on top of the smashed black beans.

gallery_19795_3582_32022.jpg

Use a small spoon to mix the smashed black beans and pressed garlic into a paste.

gallery_19795_3582_12201.jpg

Cut the chili pepper into small slices. Use about 1-2 inch in length of ginger. Cut into small shreds.

gallery_19795_3582_10163.jpg

To marinate the pork spareribs, add them in a mixing bowl. Add:

- 1-2 tsp of sesame oil

- 2 tsp of light soy sauce

- 2 tsp of ShaoHsing cooking wine

- 1-2 tsp of corn starch

- 2 tsp of dark soy sauce

- 1/4 tsp of salt (or to taste)

- 1 tsp of ground white pepper

gallery_19795_3582_38708.jpg

Add the shredded ginger and smashed garlic/black bean paste into the mixture. Mix well. Set aside for 30 minutes before cooking.

Cooking Instructions:

gallery_19795_3582_20973.jpg

Transfer the mixture on to a steaming dish. Add the chili pepper slices on top.

gallery_19795_3582_33630.jpg

Set on a steamer and steam for about 20-25 minutes.

gallery_19795_3582_20964.jpg

Picture of the finished dish.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Ah Leung Kuo, as always, a masterpiece of simplicity, leading to outstanding taste. I have a teenage son, who has a passion for ribs, but isn't into cooking ... and since this doesn't involve lighting up a grill and spending hours, it may not fall into the teenage "cooking" category!! Perhaps I can teach him to make this as his first real "dish".

Regards,

JasonZ

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

This may sound like a silly question... but wouldn't the pork be tough if you just steamed it for 20-30 minutes? I thought spare-ribs were a tough cut that required long braising (i.e. 1 hour +) ?

Thanks!

I find I always need to steam mine for close to an hour, but then, it's often times when Po-Po comes for supper. She likes them melt in your mouth, so I will often braise them in the oven rather than steaming on the stove.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

This may sound like a silly question... but wouldn't the pork be tough if you just steamed it for 20-30 minutes? I thought spare-ribs were a tough cut that required long braising (i.e. 1 hour +) ?

Thanks!

There are two approaches to steaming black bean spareribs. Depending on the diners, I prefer homestyle ribs to be on the chewy side. Restaurant style calls for very young ribs and making use of the cartilage ends which are generally more tender. If you are using the long boney ribs from normal supermarket offerings and desire a tender meat, let bicarb be your friend. In fact I suspect a lot of restaurants use that ploy.

I made ribs with brown bean sauce and brined plums for supper last night. The ribs were pork side ribs cut into 1.5 inch pieces. Steamed at a vigorous boil, it took an hour for them to be tender. They were not "toothless-tender", just "al dente" if this term could be applied to meat. :rolleyes:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com