• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ElBulli, Can Roca, Rafa's, Maus Pau, and ....?

daemon

Hi,

as the title says, i'll be in Spain at the end of the month, and have already secured reservations at El bulli, Celler de can roca, and Mas Pau. I'll try and get a table at Rafa's, so my first 4 days are quite well booked. I now need a last one for lunch on saturday. I am looking for something simplier than starred restaurant, something more rafa's like. as I'll take off from gerona in the evening, something not far from Gerona would be great...

Let Eat Be

Food, Wine & other Delights

if you are still in Roses, try SnackMar- Las Golondrinas. It is right across the

street from Rafa's . It is casual, tapas but with bulli spirit. We were sent there by Ferran, the chef used to work at elBulli. Book Rafa's upon your arrival there or arrive early and you will get a table. Enjoy!

While it doesn't really fit your criteria of being Rafa's-like or particularly close to Gerona, you could complete the circuit and dine at El Raco de Can Fabes for lunch.

In any case, I look forward to your reports.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks for your help.

BTW,this will be my 3rd time a Elbulli and 2nd at Celler, so I am a bit anxious :

I had a wonderfull lunch at Celler last year, and hope not to be disappointed.

My second visit to EB if still great, was less "magic" than the first one, but I can't figure to be in the area and not going there.

abola, I won't be in Rosas anymore as I will dine and sleep as mas pau the day before.

docsconz, Raco de Can Fabes, for some reason has never appealed to me, and for this meal, I'd like some place, little bit simplier , and let say it, a little bit cheaper :unsure:

Let Eat Be

Thanks for your help.

BTW,this will be my 3rd time a Elbulli and 2nd at Celler, so I am a bit anxious :

I had a wonderfull lunch at Celler last year, and hope not to be disappointed.

My second visit to EB if still great, was  less "magic" than the first one, but I can't figure to be in the area and not going there.

abola, I won't be in Rosas anymore as I will dine and sleep as mas pau the day before.

docsconz, Raco de Can Fabes, for some reason has never appealed to me, and for this meal, I'd like some place, little bit simplier , and let say it, a little bit cheaper  :unsure:

I can certainly understand the desire for something cheaper! :laugh: Nevertheless, whether it be this time or another, you owe it to yourself to visit and dine at Can Fabes at some point. It is a special restaurant and your Catalan experience just isn't complete without it.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

El Raco de Can Fabes has a cheaper option, Espai Coch. The dishes are cooked in the same kitchen, but a bit simpler and using less expensive ingredients. There are some very positive posts on it on the Forum. It sounds like a bargain. I didn't get there this year, but second Doc's recommendation.

On our elBulli trip we included Snack Mar (great fun and I love the large screen), Can Roca, Rafas and Masana, a restaurant in Girona recommended by vserna (thanks) which we really enjoyed. It's Catalan food with a bit of a twist. The pigs trotters were sublime. His "up-and-coming" recommendation sounds good too.

Go for something less well-known, to an up-and-coming place. For instance, just 10 miles from Girona, the Feliu brothers at L'Aliança d'Anglès:

http://www.restaurantalianca.com/

This restaurant looks very interesting indeed. The photos of the food on their website are mouthwatering. What are their prices like?

Twitter - @docsconz

This restaurant looks very interesting indeed.

I"ll second docsconz on this. It might be quite a good option :-)

thanks

Massana sounds great too.

Silly Disciple, I am interested in SnackMar but starting my mini trip in Girona, than in Rosas and then next to Girona, I'd like to avoid another trip round :-)

Let Eat Be

Two separate points:

- If you want a simple, cheap and country-tasting restaurant near to Girona, my rec would be Can Quel at Foixà. Do not expect anything sophisticated, but lots of rustic authenticity. IMO, the perfect counterpoint to your other targets in the area. I only doubt whether they will reopen the doors in time (they get holidays during september).

- I must humbly point out that my recent visits to L'Aliança (past january) and Mas Pau (several weeks ago) have not been particularly enjoyable. Mainly because of the man supposed to be the maître at Anglès (the main dishes weren't at a high level either) and because of a variety of little details in the case of Mas Pau. None of them has produced me the willing to come back soon.

But all of you know that every place can have a bad day. So, take my criticism of the latter with a pinch of salt.

Instead, I have eaten repeatedly along several years at Can Quel. This is a sure bet in my book, given that one has the proper expectations.

- I must humbly point out that my recent visits to L'Aliança (past january) and Mas Pau (several weeks ago) have not been particularly enjoyable. Mainly because of the man supposed to be the maître at Anglès (the main dishes weren't at a high level either) and because of a variety of little details in the case of Mas Pau. None of them has produced me the willing to come back soon.

Jesus, what went wrong at Mas Pau? was it the food, the service or both?

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

Jesus, what went wrong at Mas Pau? was it the food, the service or both?

I would not say 'wrong', but just that I found the whole below my expectations, and below the standards one would suppose for the prestige and prices. The service was, in general, somewhat stiff for my liking. Found only a couple of dishes really outstanding (sicilian beets, cows tongue, maybe pork feet stuffed with cigalas too), while others were correct and others even showed flaws to my palate (in the product: a too salty cod, or in the conception: snails overwhelmed by sauce). The place is very nice, but flies and wasps are not necessarily welcomed, nor by countryhearted people as we are. And, even for a lover of german baroque music, hearing Pachelbel's Canon dozens of times may be too much...

Well, maybe it just was not the day.

Must say I'm surprised that noone has mentioned Sant Pau?

Actually, now that you mentioned it, I was confusing Mas Pau with Sant Pau. That is an excellent suggestion!

Twitter - @docsconz

Maybe because daemon was "looking for something simplier than starred restaurant, something more rafa's like"? :smile:

At around 30/40 km from Girona, another favorite of mine in the field of real traditional cooking from the Empordà is Bonay, at Peratallada. But then you should think also about the possibility of driving 15 min. further, to La Xicra, in Palafrugell.

Maybe because daemon was "looking for something simplier than starred restaurant, something more rafa's like"? :smile:

At around 30/40 km from Girona, another favorite of mine in the field of real traditional cooking from the Empordà is Bonay, at Peratallada. But then you should think also about the possibility of driving 15 min. further, to La Xicra, in Palafrugell.

And to further add options to the confusion, recently I was recommended Els Casals, in Sagàs, about 100km from Girona.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

I would love to eat at Sant Pau, but it won't be this year.

I also have to keep in mind that this is for saturday lunch, next week, and that there will be 6 of us, so lots of restaurants might already be fullbooked.

In the "2006 ElBulli " thread, I also noticed Rob Simmon saying that Rafas and SnackMAr were closed, hope it won't be next week :unsure:

Let Eat Be

Sant Pau might have been fully booked for certain dates (particularly the weekend lunches) a long time ahead, but I was there with three friends last tuesday for lunch on our way back from Elbulli, having made the booking early/mid august. The meal itself was fantastic, I'm trying to write up a small report in another thread, and well worth every €

Isn't there a place in Vic with a strong reputation?

Can Jubany with, I believe one Michelin star, is the place I was thinking of. Any experience or thoughts? Their specialty is local ingredients prepared in a contemporary catalan fashion. Nando jubany is the chef.

I don't think Vic is all that far from Gerona.

Twitter - @docsconz

Isn't there a place in Vic with a strong reputation?

Can Jubany with, I believe one Michelin star, is the place I was thinking of. Any experience or thoughts? Their specialty is local ingredients prepared in a contemporary catalan fashion. Nando jubany is the chef.

I don't think Vic is all that far from Gerona.

about 70km.

Can Jubany is particularly well know for his game dishes. Which is a good thing if you're planning to visit in October.

I've found a good, simple Catalan place nearish (about 15km) to Girona recently, along the GI-531 (out of Girona eastwards, towards Rupit).

It's near a place called Llora. I think it's after Llora if you're coming from Girona, but I'm not sure so keep going till you pass it. It's right on the road, on its own, so you can't miss it. It has a vine covered patio at the front, there's a basic bar which you pass through to the dining room with huge fireplace and stuffed animals at the back. I was surprised at how friendly they were for what felt like such an isolated place. We had great galtes (pigs 'cheeks'), roast baby goat and wonderful mussels. Portions were huge. I'd hesitate to recommend a huge detour to get there but if you're in the area it may be worth going a little out of your way for some lovely home cooking.

I'm afraid I don't have the name or number. If I can dig it out i'll post it later.

Sant Pau might have been fully booked for certain dates (particularly the weekend lunches) a long time ahead, but I was there with three friends last tuesday for lunch on our way back from Elbulli,

Just rechecked my email (received in July). And obviously I didn't recall it clearly enough.

They are fully booked for all Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in 2006. And closed all-day Mondays and Thursday noon.

So indeed there is potential availability on Tuesday & Wed (but my El Bulli res is for a Tueday, so both days are out for me - I "need" min 24 hours between blow-outs).