• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Flocko - Dining in the Desert

Flocko

Greetings all from the heart of the canyons: Moab, Utah.

We are about 250 miles from Salt Lake City, the capital of Utah, and the only real "city" in the state.  I travel there about twice per month on business and ..............TO DINE :biggrin:

Bill,

What are your some of your favorite Salt Lake City restaurants?

Kay

My cousin and friend, Gina, was drawn to the eGullet Society by your blog and joined so that she could ask you a question; however, your blog might be over before her waiting-period-to-post is. So, I'll ask. Do you know of a restaurant in SLC called Lamb's? She lived in SLC with her first husband and her daughter was born there, and she worked at Lamb's for several years. She said it's not fancy, but really, really good.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

New members now have to wait a while before they can post? My, how large this place has become!

Anyway, just wanted to add my compliments on your blog and gratitude for showing us around a lovely little chunk of the Intermountain West. That house of yours looks like it stays real cool in summer, and I'll bet you don't need air conditioning either!

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Greetings all from the heart of the canyons: Moab, Utah.

We are about 250 miles from Salt Lake City, the capital of Utah, and the only real "city" in the state.  I travel there about twice per month on business and ..............TO DINE :biggrin:

Bill,

What are your some of your favorite Salt Lake City restaurants?

Kay

Hi Kay:

My very favorite SLC restaurant is a sushi bar called Takashi. It honestly is on a par with any I have eaten at anywhere, London, San Francisco, New York, D.C. etc.

For a steak house I like Spencer's in the Hilton downtown.

The New Yorker is excellent. As are other restaurants owned by the same people: Market Street Grill, Market Street Broiler, The Oyster Bar.

Martines is a great tapas place downtown.

Metropolitan is very pricy and can be excellent, but not always "on". Very trendy.

For Thai, I love Monsoon on Foothill. Pretty upscale for Thai. Great wine list. Keith Chan, the owner is a treasure.

Cafe Trang on Main St. at 9th S. is THE place for Vietnamese.

Lamb's downtown is great for breakfast: liver and onions, finnan haddie........in addition to regular breakfast fare.

Also Market Street Grill has great breakfasts, as does Finn's on 11th E, about 9th S.

Bambara at the Monaco Hotel is a great Nouvell California type place. Great Bar there as well :wink:

I hope these help,

Bill

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

"I like eggs", Leon Spinks

Great Blog Flocko! Is it too late to find out what a Love Nugg is?

gallery_8919_3572_135296.jpg

As I understand it from Melissa, they are chocolate, peanut butter, other nuts, crushed fruits, all sort of emusified. They are less firm than a cookie or candy.............more like pemmican......................very rich, very high energy source, very good, very special :wub: ...............I think I'll eat this one now :biggrin:

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

My cousin and friend, Gina, was drawn to the eGullet Society by your blog and joined so that she could ask you a question; however, your blog might be over before her waiting-period-to-post is.  So, I'll ask.  Do you know of a restaurant in SLC called Lamb's?  She lived in SLC with her first husband and her daughter was born there, and she worked at Lamb's for several years.  She said it's not fancy, but really, really good.

Hi Susan:

Yeah, Lambs is still there and still very good. It is THE old venerable restaurant in Utah. Kinda like Tadich's or Sam's in San Francisco; or Gallitoires in New Orleans.............not as old as them (circa 1920), but with the booths, coat and hat hooks, mirrors, etc. I go in for breakfast quite often...............liver and onions, finnan haddie, trout and eggs. It's still a breakfast power broker kind of joint..................all the old time lawyers and pols hang out there. Many of the Mormon pols go there and drink coffee with impunity. :wink:

Lunchs are very good as well. It's not much of a dinner place though they do serve it. It's right in the business district so not much dinner traffic. Good lamb :huh: , good rainbow trout.

It is owned by a Greek family who I know. The patriarch recently died, so there was speculation if it would continue, but so far it's going strong. A good friend of mine is married to the patriarch's daughter.

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

This afternoon I was invited to a popluck picnic at our "other" City Park, which is located about 5 miles south of Moab. I made shrimp remoulade as my contribution:

gallery_8919_3572_1381.jpg

gallery_8919_3572_132547.jpg

There was a lot of good food:

gallery_8919_3572_100612.jpg

gallery_8919_3572_108854.jpg

The park was lovely:

gallery_8919_3572_114921.jpg

gallery_8919_3572_31535.jpg

And a good time was had by all:

gallery_8919_3572_25560.jpg

gallery_8919_3572_119541.jpg

Well, gang. It has been fabulous doing this blog..........absolutely wonderful!! :smile: I had so much fun, blogging should be illegal :shock: . I appreciate all of the great comments and questions. I hope I was able to address all questions; if not, please feel free to PM me anytime :biggrin: .

Thank you all for the opportunity to have this experience. Thanks to Susan, Ronnie, and Chris for offers and help on technical matters.

IT HAS REALLY BEEN A BLAST :biggrin::wub::biggrin:

So I am off Tuesday for my "city fix" in San Francisco.............and more food adventures of my own. If any e-Gullet members ever come out this way, give me a shout, please!

I leave you with:

gallery_8919_3572_131437.jpg

gallery_8919_3572_8753.jpg

Bill

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

:biggrin: Thoroughly enjoyed this past week! I haven't been to Utah for a few years, and now I feel a little homesick. Thanks for sharing your glorious life and surroundings.

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

Bill, I really enjoyed getting to know you a bit through this blog. Your town and the surrounding area is truly gorgeous. Thank you so much for taking the time to present the great scenery and interesting petroglyphs as well as the food. Enjoy your house, your food and drink, your environment, and your friends, animal and human alike. And have a great trip to San Francisco!

Michael aka "Pan"

This foodblog reminded me a lot of Ann_T's blog--beautiful scenery, beautiful food, and now everyone wants to go where you are!

One of these days I'm going to make a trek out to Utah. I'm actually planning on going to Logan, but now that I've seen your part of the state, I'll hopefully get to drive down that way, too.

Thanks so much for sharing your part of the world!

Thank you for a spectacular blog of good food, scenery and life in Moab, Bill. Having been to some other small Southwestern towns in New Mexico and Arizona it is interesting to get a feel for Moab which seems to have its own distinctive style. I'm surprised by all the trees and greenery in the town; it looks like an oasis amidst all the other amazing desert scenery. Have a great time in San Francisco!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Bill:

Thanks so much for showing us around your little slice of the world. It's a beautiful place. You're a lucky man.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My thanks too. This has been about one of the best foodblogs I can remember - the other one being Anna's. Both of you can do (as we say in Maine) some wicked good cooking. I've got to try that courtbouillon.

You're some lucky living in that beautiful country and having good water to go along with it. Plus a beautiful house... and good friends.

Thanks again.

Edited by Country (log)

This has been great fun, Bill. Thanks so much for blogging for us.

And I like your taste in dishes. If you should ever want to part with that bowl - there, on the right, peeking in from the edge, PM me. :biggrin:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown