• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Hop Beers

eje

"Fresh" or "wet" hop beers are made by adding freshly harvested hop flowers to the beer at some point during the brewing process.

They are truly seasonal ales, as they can only be made at the time the hop flowers are harvested. This is usually in in August or September depending on climate.

Interestingly, while they are extremely hoppy, the flavor of fresh hops is quite different from that of dry hops. The beers made with them often have a mellower, herbaceous, grassy, and floral hop flavor instead of the biting citrus or pine character associated with dry hops.

Some West Coast examples of this style of beer are Deschutes' Hop Trip, Moonlight Brewing's Green Bud Ale, and Russian River Brewing's HopTime Harvest Ale.

There is an annual festival in Yakima celebrating fresh hops, called, unsurprisingly, the Fresh Hop Festival. This year it takes place on October 7.

I talked to the folks at Toronado last night and they are 90% sure they will be holding a Fresh Hop festival again this year near the end of October.

PS. I could have sworn someone started a thread here about a fresh hop beer; but, I'll be darned if I can find it this morning.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

There is an annual festival in Yakima celebrating fresh hops, called, unsurprisingly, the Fresh Hop Festival.  This year it takes place on October 7.

Oh gee, look, Sierra Nevada won first place two years in a row. What a surprise :raz:

Interestingly, while they are extremely hoppy, the flavor of fresh hops is quite different from that of dry hops. The beers made with them often have a mellower, herbaceous, grassy, and floral hop flavor instead of the biting citrus or pine character associated with dry hops.

gawd, I so love that flavor. Um, anyone from Seattle going over for this??

Born Free, Now Expensive

• 1 month later...

The citrusy flavor is actually the contribution of cascade hops. The ales from the left coast are known for such character. If you brew with northern brewer or saaz hops the final product will not yield that citrusy note.

Cheers...

Leave the gun, take the canoli

• 11 months later...

The Sierra Nevada 2007 Harvest Fresh Hop Ale is out and about.

Picked up 6 24 oz bombers a couple days ago at Beverages and More.

Popped the top on one last night.

Strong complex hop flavors, good malty backbone. Not overly sweet or bitter.

Very nicely balanced and complex.

Definitely one of the nicer beers I've tried from Sierra Nevada.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

The Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale is the best beer I've had from them. We get it on tap only in these parts, and always at the Flying Saucer, which is great in terms of selection but lousy in terms of atmosphere (the Ginger Man here in Dallas, OTOH, has been moving in the opposite direction).

I have had - and loved - Great Divide's take on Fresh Hop pale ale, and I anxiously await its annual arrival. All hail fresh hops!

Tim

Boy, howdy!

Toronado Wet Hop Festival

Description:

A selection of wet hop beers made from hops that

have not been dried , which imparts a different

aroma and flavor profile than normal. The lineup of

beers will include:

Deschutes Hop Trip

Drakes Brewing Co. Harvest Ale

Bear Republic Confiscation

Beach Chalet Hop Patootie

21 st Amendment Harvest Moon

Half Moon Bay Green Gold

Blue Frog Last Hop Standing

Moonlight Brewing Co Sublimmminal

Moonlight Brewing Co Greenbud Chinnook

Moonlight Brewing Co Greenbud Cascade

Sierra Nevada 20th Street Ale

Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale

Marin Wet Hop Cask IPA

Moylans Wet Hopsicle

Unfortunately due to the fire in San Diego we were unable

to transport the 5 entries from there

Time(s): 11:30 AM till closing

Admission: no charge

Contact Name: David Keene

Contact Email: info@toronado.com

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA