• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You know you're an EGulleter when...

gfron1

When…

You transfer all the best of the tested foods from Heston Blumenthal’s In Search of Perfection to your PDA and hope that you can find the same brand of handmade pasta extruded through brass dies when out shopping so that I can post it for all my other foodie friends who live in London.

• 2 weeks later...

At 0130am this fine morning, I went into the waffles thread.

It is now 0242am where I am at.

During the interim time period, I:

Climbed up the ladder to get the waffle iron (I am very short)

Dug out a recipe

Modified it (because my grandpa said substituting rice flour for some of the wheat flour gets you crispy pancakes, and therefore waffles too)

Mixed it all up

Heated the waffle iron

Cooked three waffles whilst eating them hot off the iron, plain, with lemon curd and coconut curd aka kaya (separately, not altogether because that would be disgusting)

Washed up

I now feel like a pig. Where is that pig icon?

PS Will someone tell me that they've done this too to make me feel better?

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

When a stranger sends you a gift, with the note attached saying, in effect "We're not strangers! I know you from eGullet". When you are very ill, fighting not only to stay alive, but to become well enough to thrive alive, and you are also facing homelessness, and you can't do anything, but you spend many waking moments on your laptop, reading along with everyone's posts, and when you fall asleep, your nurse finds you sitting up, asleep, still logged onto eGullet. :laugh::laugh: Silly nurse, she leaves me logged in! As if I'm going to remember what I was doing before I conked out!:laugh:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

• 2 months later...

I get to add two today...

1. ...you're going for a hike and decide to whip up some trail mix. An hour later you leave, after you've tempered your El Rey White Chocolate, added your nuts and dried fruit, decide to add something unusual so you go for pink peppercorns and use your cookie cutters to make it into fun shapes.

2. ...when your spouse announces that you'll no longer be allowed to buy "nice" clothes because you've ruined too many pairs of pants by getting oil or chocolate on them.

You know you're an eGulleter when your husband announces he's leaving second shift and going to first, and your first thought is "no......I liked having evenings to myself!" but your second thought is "I get to cook dinner every night." And your friends say "get? to cook dinner?"

And suddenly you're spending all your time going through cookbooks, new and old, for all those recipes you thought you'd like to make "someday", and realize that "someday" is here. And your lunch hours are filled with menu-making activities, and errands to find special ingredients you can't get in your neighborhood.

And every morning, upon arriving at work, you recite the previous evening's menu. And your co-workers try to hide the pity on their faces, because they think you're losing it.

Jenny

Edited by jgm (log)

And your lunch hours are filled with menu-making activities, and errands to find special ingredients you can't get in your neighborhood.

Jenny

Indeed, I have forgotten to eat lunch because I was busy foraging for something I got a craving for and just *had* to make for dinner. Try explaining to someone how you managed to go to 5 food shops in an hour and neglected to buy anything that can actually be eaten in its current state and you're starving. "Water, water everywhere . . ."

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

You feel like you have let your friends down when you realize you didnt get a picture of the white peach sangria with the limes and oranges and peach slices floating in it.

and considered taking the dinner leftovers back out cause you could at least get pics of those to post

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

And every morning, upon arriving at work, you recite the previous evening's menu.  And your co-workers try to hide the pity on their faces, because they think you're losing it.

Jenny

:cool:

Or: your co-workers try to hide the insane jealousy they feel because nobody in their immediate family constellation cooks for *them* with that kind of care!

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

You have a nightmare about having to cross an intersection with downed power lines and then the dream evolves into meeting 3 eGullet members (FatGuy, Annecross and JohnnyD) for some korean BBQ. The nightmare turns into a food dream with you explaining why the restaurant was too small and it would be better to sit outside. I was really dissappointed because I woke up after they served the banchan and I didn't get to taste any of it.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

You know you're an eGulleter when:

1. You go to dinner at a Thai restaurant for an off menu feast with a dozen people you've never met IRL, and don't find that at all unusual until your friends make a comment

2. Your mom clips an article for your from the food section of the paper about a hot new culinary trend you've been talking about for months and says, "Look, you're cool now!"

3. You photograph your lunches. At your desk at work. Every day your boss walks by and asks you to explain what you've brought. Then when the potluck comes around she specifies that you HAVE to come. Not only that, but when your the smell of your coworker's BBQ chicken Lean Cuisine drives you from the room, you spend your break crafting what you'll say about it here in the appropriate thread.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

you plan a trip to Las Vegas and get bummed that you only have four opportunities to have dinner, the wrack your brain trying to figure out which places to go to.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

You're purchasing foods online to ship to folks you've never met, who cant get them shipped directly by the vendors.

And you are grateful to folks who offered to send supermarket items to you from 'across the pond', when you waxed nostalgic in a post.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

You're purchasing foods online to ship to folks you've never met, who cant get them shipped directly by the vendors.

And you are grateful to folks who offered to send supermarket items to you from 'across the pond', when you waxed nostalgic in a post.

They should have a special folder for shipping requests..

Id pay good money for Linco Beer shampoo (UK) and Pondan Company Konnyaku Jelly mixes (indonesia)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

[...]Id pay good money for Linco Beer shampoo (UK) and Pondan Company Konnyaku Jelly mixes (indonesia) [bolding added]

Are you sure you have the spelling right? In Malay (and I believe Indonesian), "pondan" means "homosexual," with the connotation of "faggot"!

Michael aka "Pan"

[...]Id pay good money for Linco Beer shampoo (UK) and Pondan Company Konnyaku Jelly mixes (indonesia) [bolding added]

Are you sure you have the spelling right? In Malay (and I believe Indonesian), "pondan" means "homosexual," with the connotation of "faggot"!

Yepper!

Here is the companies website http://www.pondan.com/

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

:biggrin: (Thanks Kouign Aman!)

You exchange traditional korean pots for instant gravy mixes for your homesick Ky hubby.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

You arent afraid of using up your Sting caffeinated gum, because you think the odds are good someone on the Japan forum will take pity on you and ship you some when the need arises.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

...when you realize that you are in your second transition.

The first transition was when I felt guilty about eating certain things, because they were highly-processed and just not "pc" for eGullet.  Or when I ate them but knew I would never "fess up" to it on eG.

The second transition is no longer having any appetite, at all, for such things.

What's next? :laugh:

But even a Big Mac and Velveeta Slices and even Hamburger Helper are full of comfort food merit. I think a Foodie is one who appreciates all things from Big Macs to Filet Mignon with Truffles.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Yepper!

Here is the companies website http://www.pondan.com/

Wow, that's amazing! I hope someone who knows colloquial Indonesian will clarify whether the word means something different than it does in Malay.

Carry on! :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"