• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You know you're an EGulleter when...

gfron1

You know you are an eGulleteer when you are standing in your kitchen into which poured thousands upon thousands of gallons of water less than a week ago.  And  your insurance adjuster just left telling you that the preliminary estimate of damage exceeds $50,000, you will have to move out of your home for a minimum of 6 weeks, and a single stray drop of water gives you the heebie-jeebies and you are making twice-baked potatoes and a cauliflower casserole to take to family to eat tonight.

Oh Anna -- how dreadful! (As one eGulleteer to another -- tell about the casserole.)

Here you go. It's a family favourite.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

You know you are an eGulleteer when you are standing in your kitchen into which poured thousands upon thousands of gallons of water less than a week ago.  And  your insurance adjuster just left telling you that the preliminary estimate of damage exceeds $50,000, you will have to move out of your home for a minimum of 6 weeks, and a single stray drop of water gives you the heebie-jeebies and you are making twice-baked potatoes and a cauliflower casserole to take to family to eat tonight.

:shock: So sorry to hear this!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Anna - I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles and so glad you have insurance! What a lot of mess you'll have to go through! Thanks for the link to the cauliflower recipe. It sounds wonderful and I'll be trying it!

I guess you know you're an eGulleteer when you use a friend's troubles to find a new way to cook cauliflower! :raz:

Thanks for the expressions of sympathy everyone but now it's time to turn it into an eG challenge!

We will be living with my daughter and son-in-law for many weeks and I will be their own Personal Chef! It will be a challenge to cook for 5 instead of 2 every day (they have a 10 year old). Depending on how things turn out over the next few days I might be faced with consolidating two fridges, two freezers and two pantries! I will be separated from my enormous library of cookbooks, all my favourite kitchen toys and possibly most of my favourite ingredients. Their idea of dinner and ours are very different (heck even meal hours are totally at odds). So I am going to try to take the lemons that life has decided should be mine and see if I can make some good lemonade! I am thinking good thoughts - like if I am to do the cooking then someone else has to do the clean up! Whoo-hoo - finally a sous chef! :biggrin:

So I hope in the next few weeks to be able to add to the title of this thread with a few new instances when I will know I am an eGulleteer because......

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

...when you wake up two and a half hours early and decide to make carnitas, refried black beans, pico de gallo and grate a whole bunch of cheese. I'm set for at *least* the next three days worth of suppers.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Thanks for the expressions of sympathy everyone but now it's time to turn it into an eG challenge! 

We will be living with my daughter and son-in-law for many weeks and I will be their own Personal Chef!  It will be a challenge to cook for 5 instead of 2 every day (they have a 10 year old).  Depending on how things turn out over the next few days I might be faced with consolidating two fridges, two freezers and two pantries!  I will be separated from my enormous library of cookbooks, all my favourite kitchen toys and possibly most of my favourite ingredients.  Their idea of dinner and ours are very different (heck even meal hours are totally at odds).  So I am going to try to take the lemons that life has decided should be mine and see if I can make some good lemonade!  I am thinking good thoughts - like if I am to do the cooking then someone else has to do the clean up!  Whoo-hoo - finally a sous chef! :biggrin:

So I hope in the next few weeks to be able to add to the title of this thread with a few new instances when I will know I am an eGulleteer because......

This experience/experiment sounds worthy of it's own thread to me!

We will be living with my daughter and son-in-law for many weeks and I will be their own Personal Chef!  It will be a challenge to cook for 5 instead of 2 every day (they have a 10 year old).  Depending on how things turn out over the next few days I might be faced with consolidating two fridges, two freezers and two pantries!  I will be separated from my enormous library of cookbooks, all my favourite kitchen toys and possibly most of my favourite ingredients.  Their idea of dinner and ours are very different (heck even meal hours are totally at odds).  So I am going to try to take the lemons that life has decided should be mine and see if I can make some good lemonade!  I am thinking good thoughts - like if I am to do the cooking then someone else has to do the clean up!  Whoo-hoo - finally a sous chef! :biggrin:

Amen to that! Anna, best of luck to you! I'd love to see a thread focused on how it's going for you.

Edited by violetfox (log)

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

Amen to that! Anna, best of luck to you! I'd love to see a thread focused on how it's going for you.

Unfortunately one of the casualties of the flood was my computer which is now in the hands of the disaster recovery service. A good friend loaned me an ancient and quirky Think Pad which takes computing back to the Dark Ages! I am eternally grateful that I can still check email and eG but more than that would only add to my frustration. For now my stint as a Personal Chef will have to remain undocumented.

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna! I am so sad to hear about your flooding! So many things ruined and how do replace certain items... I suppose some are irreplaceable. What a major hassle. I hope that ten year old is less fussy than mine! Let us know how the cooking goes over. Wish we got some of your rain... Oh, Iwill also make your recipe and call it Canada Flood Cauliflower- in my recipe index. Thanks and all the best to you. I am sure your family will benefit!

• 2 weeks later...

When watching a coroner on CSI Miami crack open a rib cage and then proceed to ladle some blood into a specimen jar, both you and your hubby turn to each other and say "Nice ladle."

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

When watching a coroner on CSI Miami crack open a rib cage and then proceed to ladle some blood into a specimen jar, both you and your hubby turn to each other and say "Nice ladle."

At least you weren't like "mmm, ribs"

• 2 weeks later...

I must make a late New Year's Resolution in order to become a real eGulleter: to take photos of my culinary successes...and occasionally failures I suppose :wacko: . Lots of those.

Recently I have made a lot of firsts for me: wonderful shaped candies for the children to decorate, Valentine lollipops, and recently Almond Cookies and a steamed Chinese sponge cake. Nothing on the scale as the rest of you whip off, but still, it's a start.

And who knows, I might encourage some of the other lurkers and newbies to post their food events.

Still, I had never taken photos of food that I had made, and the concept is slow in setting in. Now I resolve.... :rolleyes:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 5 months later...

I'll know I'm an eGulleter when...?

I still don't take photos of the stuff I make...most of it looks like an experiment gone slightly haywire. I still love the photos taken by others. Such beautiful cakes and all.

However, I have now belonged to egGullet for over one year, have sent over 900 posts, and started a lot of new topics, and while that may not make me an bona fide eGulleter, it is a good start.

This forum is the most amazing thing I have ever encountered in my life and I thank all of you who have helped me and been so patient with my endless questions over the last year. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

You know your an egulletier when....

I actually "pimped" my husband out to work part time at william sonoma so we can by discounted kitchen gadgets. :wub:

edit to add: I may talk him into going back to work part time again this holiday season, and he ain't complaining about it...

Edited by CKatCook (log)

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

You know you're an egulletier when:

The site goes down for maintenance for four days, and you start checking every hour to see when it will be back up. I was JONESING! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Yeah, but did you Google "eGullet" and find the Facebook page and keep going there looking for announcements, too ?

Actually, no, because I get sidetracked on Facebook with all the dumbass games! :laugh: There's always something else to do...

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 1 month later...

You dress as a strip of bacon for halloween complete with your bacon lunchbox full of bacon jellybeans, toothpicks, mints, bacon wallet and bacon floss while wearing a shirt with 2 slices of bacon, an arrow towards the club sandwich saying "you can find me in the club" to sum it up......... photos soon