• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You know you're an EGulleter when...

gfron1

Last night I yelled up to my husband that I want to go to Cincinatti...

Uh Why....

A supermarket....(Jungle Jims)...

But you wont have anywhere to cook what we buy :biggrin:

Not a word about the fact that Cincinatti is 550 miles away, he is OK

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

It's a SUUUUUUPER-MARKET, with a THEEEEEEME.

And it's cheese-heaven---I spent about two hours just in the cheese department, on our one trip there. Most of that was just looking on in wonder, at the variety and the amounts. Part of that was because it was a Saturday, and it was cart-to-cart traffic, with one having to get out of the gridlock so anyone else could move.

So don't go on the weekend.

But the loo is cute---step into a Porta-Potty in the corner, and through into a luxurious Ladies' Room. Neat.

They not only DO NOT allow photography, you have to go put your camera back in your car.

And we bought fourteen kinds of olives :wub:

They not only DO NOT allow photography, you have to go put your camera back in your car. 

but you can photograph what you bought, right?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 3 weeks later...

Taking photos of food, seeking a table near the kitchen so you can see every dish that comes out of the kitchen and asking for restaurant recs for obscure places worldwide and knowing that you will get a response-and one you will use.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

... when you see "society donor" under your handle!

Just a note to say that great eG Forums topics like this one wouldn't be possible without the financial support of the Society's sponsors and donors. As a member of this non-profit organization, your contributions pay for forum upkeep, the eG scholarship fund, and many exciting Society projects in the works. I know I speak on behalf of all of us in eG Society management and volunteer staff in saying thank you for your support!

If you're not yet a donor, there are many ways to contribute. Click here for a list of ten ways that you can help the Society.

Now back to the food -- and thanks!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Instead of leaving for a meeting with a student, you spend your early morning making salmon rillettes. . .

In my defense, the rillettes is my lunch, and my student was late, anyway!  (How can I get rid of that fishy smell off my fingers?)

Either use the left over lemon shell (after the juice went into the salmon), or use a hunk of stainless steel to "wash" your hands with.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

When any time a friend or family member is having a "do" (read party) and before they even send out the invites ask one of one can do the food. They all gratefully offer to pay for the ingredients, but, for some odd reason, they never seem to offer to come and help clean up the mess!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

...when I justify any purchase with "needed for eGullet experiment", my kids point out that there is No Such Thing as an "eGullet experiment".

Outed!  :blush:

But that's not true!!!

Back in February '05, several of us explored various kinds of braising vessels (look under "eGullet Culinary Institute"). Had I not already owned a Le Creuset pot, I would have used it as an excuse to buy one.

Let us know what you've got your eye on, and we'll design a course around it. :biggrin::raz::laugh:

Two just recently happened to me.

1. Seeing Snowangel post a question about lemon wedges and then being unable to concentrate on anything until I went into the kitchen and experimented on the best way to get workable wedges.

2. Realizing that the only questions I ever get correct in trivia games are food related. Generally these are the ones nobody else ever gets, so my overall score comes out o.k.

jgm, I do that all the time. It's a great reason to play with our food, which is my favorite thing to do. Let's brine chicken 2 different ways. Let's cook pork butt on the grill and in the oven and see how it shakes out. Experimentation makes it fun and defensible to go to the grocery store or to the restaurant supply shop. When someone says "what are you doing?" you can always blame it on the egullet society. Right On!

When you spend an evening cooking and eating things you never made/ate before (surinamese blood sausage, pom) with people you'd never would have met if it wasn't for eGullet!

Pictures & reports here, here, and here !

Edited by Chufi (log)

Back in February '05, several of us explored various kinds of braising vessels (look under "eGullet Culinary Institute").  Had I not already owned a Le Creuset pot, I would have used it as an excuse to buy one.

When we got married, I received a $200 Williams-Sonoma gift card from my coworkers. Without missing a beat, I went in and bought a Le Crueset french oven (with a substantial discount from my wedding registry completion program.) Cost me $9 in the end. :blush:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

When you're disappointed in a great meal that you've prepared because you left the camera at work. I kind of don't even want to eat it now, and nuke it tomorrow and act like its fresh. It can be my own little hunger strike.

• 1 month later...

real conversation tonight...

Me: When you go to the store see if they have crawfish - they should be in season

Spouse: Why do you need them?

Me: I couldn't get urchin gonads so I think I can reasonably substitute crawfish brains

Spouse: Blank stare

I may have taken this menu too far...

Well if you had specified Sea Urchin....it may have been better

Nah

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

You know you are an eGulleter when a dear friend and fellow eG'er gets flooded out of their house and your first thought is "how are they going to cook"!

You know you are an eGulleter when a dear friend and fellow eG'er gets flooded out of their house and your first thought is "how are they going to cook"!

Thanks Kerry! But I will find a way - they did in New Orleans!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

You know you are an eGulleteer when you are standing in your kitchen into which poured thousands upon thousands of gallons of water less than a week ago. And your insurance adjuster just left telling you that the preliminary estimate of damage exceeds $50,000, you will have to move out of your home for a minimum of 6 weeks, and a single stray drop of water gives you the heebie-jeebies and you are making twice-baked potatoes and a cauliflower casserole to take to family to eat tonight.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

You know you are an eGulleteer when you are standing in your kitchen into which poured thousands upon thousands of gallons of water less than a week ago.  And  your insurance adjuster just left telling you that the preliminary estimate of damage exceeds $50,000, you will have to move out of your home for a minimum of 6 weeks, and a single stray drop of water gives you the heebie-jeebies and you are making twice-baked potatoes and a cauliflower casserole to take to family to eat tonight.

Oh Anna -- how dreadful! (As one eGulleteer to another -- tell about the casserole.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com