• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You know you're an EGulleter when...

gfron1

This may belong over on the "Cocktails and Spirits" thread, but....

You know you're an EGulleter when you go to pick up your on-line order at BevMo (a California wine and spirits discounter) and the clerk helping you calls over the rest of the staff saying...

"We all wanted to know who ordered all this stuff, because they OBVIOUSLY know how to mix a good drink !"

Yeah, I smiled on my way to the car.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, I've got one for you...

You know you're an eGulleter when you quickly cut and pasted the URL of a Web site you want him to review for a site re-design, and you get this response...

"You may want to double check the weblink example you gave me below as I think it may be incorrect, and if it isn't, I think we would like to go for a more professional look and have less information about ice cream :-)"

Guess I shouldn't have had the E-Gullet Ice-Cream Cook-Off thread open at the same time. (I'd link to the Cook-off thread here, but I'm afraid of history repeating itself.)

Thank Julia Child's ghost that he's got a sense of humor... and works in an office an ocean away... :blush:

Edited by LVic (log)

You know you're an eGulleteer when you're considering buying new dishes because you've decided your perfectly good current dishes are just entirely too boring when photographing meals for the Dinner! thread.

....and I have, too.

Marcia.

Me too, me too!

I guess my moment of realization was when I started taking photos of the food in restaurants.....

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

...when you peruse the boards, and avoid certain threads because a craving for whatever the topic is about would be inconvienent.

I just almost, but stopped myself from clicking on the Macaroni and Cheese thread down there in "Cooking". Mainly because I wouldn't have the opportunity to make it till Sunday or Monday.

Also, I read the Dunkin Donuts vs Krispy Kreme thread, and entertained for a moment, stopping at DD to get a coffee and donut tomorrow. I. Hate. DD.

When an eGullet craving hits, it must be appeased immediately. I swear, this place is worse than TV commercials.

...when I justify any purchase with "needed for eGullet experiment", my kids point out that there is No Such Thing as an "eGullet experiment".

Outed!  :blush:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: you know you're an eGulleter when your kids know intimate things about eGullet :biggrin::biggrin:

This one's just bizarre.

...when you wake up in the middle of the night having had a dream/nightmare that you had booked a reservation at Alinea, and invited a group of friends who weren't really foodies. One didn't show up, the other four left one by one to go run errands in between courses since the meal was running so long, and not coming back fast enough so that you were so nervous that it would upset the timing of the server's deliveries, and that you could no longer enjoy the meal, so you make a quiet exit to the bathroom and bolt for the door, but then panic because chef is a member of eGullet and might have known it was you.

Ohhh...bad, bad, dream.

This one's just bizarre.

...when you wake up in the middle of the night having had a dream/nightmare that you had booked a reservation at Alinea, and invited a group of friends who weren't really foodies.  One didn't show up, the other four left one by one to go run errands in between courses since the meal was running so long, and not coming back fast enough so that you were so nervous that it would upset the timing of the server's deliveries, and that you could no longer enjoy the meal, so you make a quiet exit to the bathroom and bolt for the door, but then panic because chef is a member of eGullet and might have known it was you.

Ohhh...bad, bad, dream.

ROTFLMAO!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

When you have a nightmare that somehow you ended up on a road trip to vancouver with a vegan, a lactose intolerant who only likes to eat 'white' foods (white bread, sliced chicken breasts, etc) and a girl who hates anything spicy and/or condiments.

Oh wait, or if that was your weekend last weekend, and now you are just crying into your keyboard thinking of all the izakaya food and dim sum that you could have eaten.

Sorry...still a little bitter.

Gnomey

The GastroGnome

(The adventures of a Gnome who does not sit idly on the front lawn of culinary cottages)

• 2 weeks later...

You know you're an EGulleter when . . .

Your son starts to imitate you at the dinner table:

gallery_42214_5579_20456.jpg

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Peter, if there were a "Cutest Food Photo" topic, that pic of your son would lead the rest. What I love is his complete concentration -- apples and trees.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 3 weeks later...

1) You swoon because your husband brought home a surprise gift of...really great homespun butter. :wub:

2) You go to the grocer for marrow bones and they don't have any. Upon asking the butcher he brings out the ENTIRE bone. And all you can do is :biggrin: . "Yes please, 2" sections would be nice. Yes, I'll take the whole thing." :cool::wub:

When your husband brings home 2 pints of blueberries and you get so excited that you do a happy dance. In front of the big picture window. When the neighbors walk by. And I'm wearing my penguin nightgown...and blue facial mask.

So I just went with it and said " I really like blueberries." They no longer walk directly in front of my window anymore.

Oh, go put on your big girl panties and just DEAL with it!

I just bought a ditgal camera that takes more clear pictures...to show pictures of food here...

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child