• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You know you're an EGulleter when...

gfron1

I must have always been an Egulleter

because 21 years ago with absolutely no money, no jobs, no friends, no family (other than husband and kids) no plans or any other reason

I moved me and mine to this area simply

for the food!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

• 1 month later...

last night I dreamed that we were off on a holiday to several random places and then Montreal. My first reaction was excitement, I love Montreal, my second was that if we got there tomorrow (you know how timeframes and places are scrambled in dreams but seem perfectly logical :smile: ) I would never get a reservation at Au Pied de Cochon :laugh:

ps. still awaiting the book

• 2 weeks later...

When you and the spouse are going to Fresno... and you wonder if Megan Blocker will be in town.

I guess that I have gone "around the bend" also.

hvr

(port and cigars, not cigars AFTER port) :cool:

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

...when you're cleaning all of the crap out of your freezer and end up with everything you need for a fig, 70% chocolate and ginger tart.

YEAH BABY !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

When you check the egullet site every 20 mins for new posts.

Or when you excitedly check the site everyday a few times and don't even feel like checking your personal Yahoo or hotmail EMail box more than twice a week... No comment...

AND whenever your first reference when it comes to traveling is egullet înstead of igougo or frommer's....or "worse": whenever egullet forums say that destination X sucks food-wise and you consequently cancel the whole trip altogether :raz:

When you rib your friend that she quotes the New York Times on a daily basis and she points out "Oh yeah, well you reference egullet at least twice that much!"

When your daughter says "Mom, can I pleeaazzee have my laptop back? Oh no, not that food site again!" My computer is upstairs in a bedroom but I can easily get on my daughter's for a few minutes since she's connected wirelessly and I can just quickly get on whenever I happen to pass by and notice it.

and..........when you are on your way to an emergency dental appointment because of a cracked tooth, exposed nerve causing acute, stabbing pain with any movement of air in the mouth and...... driving by a used book store spot a sign that says - COOKBOOK SALE TODAY ONLY!- drive to the next intersection, make a U-turn and wheel into the parking lot and sprint (uh, hobble, in my case) into the book store.

Twenty-five minutes later, arrive at the dental office, complaining about the traffic, but failing to mention the twenty-three cookbooks in the back of the van.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

oddly enough i was thinking about this earlier today....

...when you post in various forums,stuff like.......

... "looking for good burgers in Paris"...

..."any great Indian rest. in Maine".........

..."want philly cheese steak in Atlanta"..........

..."best krispy kreme substitutes in Bangkok"..........

..."needing chicago dog in mexico city, please help"....

...."the global and spiritual importance of eating local".........

....then, and only then, do you know ... that you may be one .......

...sorry to ruffle any feathers, with brash sarcasim.......

regards, in all good humor..............john

Oh my Andie! I think you may have knocked the previous winnah from their pedastal! What books? Do tell, quick!

(When you stop playing with the kid, to sneak a quick peek at the website.)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Oh my Andie! I think you may have knocked the previous winnah from their pedastal! What books? Do tell, quick!

(When you stop playing with the kid, to sneak a quick peek at the website.)

Reflections Of An Armenian Kitchen (Ladie's Guilds of Ararat Home)

No Barking At The Table - gave it to my neighbor

Cooking from the Gourmet's Garden (Castle & Kourik)

Atlanta Cooknotes (Jr. League of Atlanta)

Freast of Eden (Jr. League of Monterey County)

Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930's and Low-Fat Pantry Cooking, Vol. II (Rita Van Amber and Janet Van Amber Paske)

Baxter's Game Book (which turns out not to be a cookbook) The Sport of the Field Collected in Verse, Prose and Illustration (by John Mowbraye)

- What can I say? I was in a hurry!

When the Knead Rises (Jackie Guice)

Serve Rice And Shine Cookbook (Rice Council for Market Development)

German Cookery (Elizabeth Schuler)

The Attic Cookbook (Gertrude Wilkinson)

Old Black Pot Recipes (Edited by Charlene Johnson & Wayne Tanner)

Sourdough Breads and Coffee Cakes (Ada Lou Roberts)

Jackson Hole A' La Carte (Jackson Hole Alliance for Responsible Planning)

Pit, Pot & Skillet (Red Caldwell)

The International Spud: Fun and Feast With the World's Favorite Tuber (Mara Reid Rogers)

Stuffed Spuds: 100 meals in a potato (Jeanne Jones)

Cove Cay Village IV Clearwater, Florida Cookbook 1991

A Trifle, a Coddle, a Fry: An Irish Literary Cookbook (Veronica Jane O'Mara, Fionnuala O'Reilly)

The Decadent Cookbook (Durian Gray & Medlar Lucan)

Tulsa State Fair Cookbook; 2000 prize-winning recipes (edited by Pat Lloyd)

Original Cowboy Cookboon (Wes Medley & Wild Medley)

The British Museum Cookbook: 4000 Years of International Cuisine (Michelle Berriedale-Johnson)

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

You know you're an eGulleteer when a stranger in the grocery store takes a look at your cart and decides to ask you what you'd serve for snacks other than chips and dip, and you start firing so many ideas at her that she stops you long enough for her to take out a pencil and a piece of paper to jot down notes. She says, "I guess I asked the right person!" Then you keep going until her eyes glaze over and she starts backing away from you. . .

• 2 months later...

You know you're an eGulleteer when you're considering buying new dishes because you've decided your perfectly good current dishes are just entirely too boring when photographing meals for the Dinner! thread.

....and I have, too.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

...when you're on vacation with family, and the family on the last day says, "Enough already! We aren't eating four meals just so you can try every restaurant on the eGullet list."

I haven't given up yet...the day has just begun!

...when you have your second eGullet-related dream in a row.

This time you're pastry shopping with Ling, and she refuses to let you take pictures of the goodies!

Can you imagine? Not taking pictures of beautiful pastries? Wait a minute, is that a dream or a nightmare?

Edited by prasantrin (log)

...when you're telling a friend about a conversation with friend X, and what friend X had for dinner last night, and how she cooked it, and the first friend says, "Do I know her? What's her last name?"

And you have to confess that you don't think you know her last name.

Where does she live?

Canada, maybe. Or maybe in the U.S., but I think it would be the Northwest.

And your friend says "You know what she had for supper last night but you don't know her last name?"

:rolleyes:

...Or you find yourself explaining molecular gastronomy to your co-worker.

...Or when your friend just got back from Italy and wants to tell you about his trip, and all you're interested in is what he ate.

...Or when you tell people you're planning to go to a gathering of people you met on the Internet, and their eyes get big, and you try to explain, it's okay, it's okay... it's not like that... it's not really the INTERNET Internet, it's this food site... :laugh:

...Or when you tell people you're planning to go to a gathering of people you met on the Internet, and their eyes get big, and you try to explain, it's okay, it's okay... it's not like that... it's not really the INTERNET Internet, it's this food site... :laugh:

My friends all know when I say, "....internet food community..." I mean eGullet. It sounds much nicer to call it a "food community" than just the internet. You get fewer "Are you crazy?" looks! :biggrin:

When you have more pics of food on your camera's memory card then you do of your kids.

When you go to a local restaurant and see the pics your husband took are posted on their wall.

When even your parents know your Egullet friends by their posting names.

• 2 weeks later...

You take pictures of the food at YOUR OWN WEDDING RECEPTION because you want to show off your macarons and candies to the fellow gulleteers !!

Your honeymoon is planned around restaurants you want to visit.

You no longer visist "tourist attractions" on holiday, you visit food markets, bakeries and restaurants. But not before thoroughly researching on E gullet first.

You think "ooh, my best friend will luuurve this site" and can't wait to tell her

Edited by Fibilou (log)

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

• 3 months later...

...for your birthday, its assumed by everyone that you'll make your own cake and no one should bother even trying:

gallery_41282_4652_38419.jpg

And, when all of your friends bring you eggs to bake with for your birthday. I ended up with over 70 eggs including some monsterous goose eggs.

gallery_41282_4652_13384.jpg

gallery_41282_4652_44800.jpg

Rob, what a wonderful idea for a gift! Please pass my compliments on to the originator.

>70 eggs! Wow. That has to feel good!

Are you going to try blowing those eggs, so you can save the decorated ones?

Or will pix suffice?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

You take pictures of the food at YOUR OWN WEDDING RECEPTION because you want to show off your macarons and candies to the fellow gulleteers !!

Your honeymoon is planned around restaurants you want to visit.

You no longer visist "tourist attractions" on holiday, you visit food markets, bakeries and restaurants. But not before thoroughly researching on E gullet first.

You think "ooh, my best friend will luuurve this site" and can't wait to tell her

yep, my hubby and I just planned our vacation around the resturants... Yeah baby!!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child