• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You know you're an EGulleter when...

gfron1

yeah...but it does lurk in the back of your mind somewhere.....hmmmmmmm....the food I used to call "normal" is now swell compared to what I can cook now.....

did you mean "swell" or did you mean "swill"? makes a bit of difference in the post.. :biggrin:

oops! sorry! Swill..... :wink:

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

You arent afraid of using up your Sting caffeinated gum, because you think the odds are good someone on the Japan forum will take pity on you and ship you some when the need arises.

I just saw caffeinated gum at a gas station in NY state last week....I dont know where we were but it was on the way to some nasty BBQ place :sad:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

...when you realize that you are in your second transition.

The first transition was when I felt guilty about eating certain things, because they were highly-processed and just not "pc" for eGullet.  Or when I ate them but knew I would never "fess up" to it on eG.

The second transition is no longer having any appetite, at all, for such things.

What's next? :laugh:

But even a Big Mac and Velveeta Slices and even Hamburger Helper are full of comfort food merit. I think a Foodie is one who appreciates all things from Big Macs to Filet Mignon with Truffles.

I agree, although I still think of Velveeta more as fish bait than food. :laugh:

Cheryl

Wow, that's amazing! I hope someone who knows colloquial Indonesian will clarify whether the word means something different than it does in Malay.

In Wikipedia, this is listed as having a different meaning in the two languages here, scroll down to 'transexual' in the section on vocabulary differences.

Can't imagine the product would sell too well in Malaysia, though! :laugh:

Wow, that's amazing! I hope someone who knows colloquial Indonesian will clarify whether the word means something different than it does in Malay.

In Wikipedia, this is listed as having a different meaning in the two languages here, scroll down to 'transexual' in the section on vocabulary differences.

Can't imagine the product would sell too well in Malaysia, though! :laugh:

I dont care what the Jellies sexual status is, I just wanna case of assorteds :)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

But even a Big Mac and Velveeta Slices and even Hamburger Helper are full of comfort food merit. I think a Foodie is one who appreciates all things from Big Macs to Filet Mignon with Truffles.

I agree, although I still think of Velveeta more as fish bait than food. :laugh:

The fish would turn up their gills at the stuff.

But it really does make good macaroni and cheese. Along with other cheeses in the mix, of course.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

My mom just came back from Hungary and brought back paprika. I thought this was so cool, when I spoke with my sister today and mentioned, "Mommy brought us back some paprika", she just laughed, it took awhile to dawn on me that she was not excited (I think she expected a magnet or doll, LOL!). It's really funny because I was just speaking to my BIL about travel and he said instead of regular souvineirs he trys to bring back local spices/foodstuffs, and he shared my excitment about the paprika. Just a different mindset, I then thought of this thread.

When you check the egullet site every 20 mins for new posts.

I hear you AB.

And when you offer to send food goodies to a stranger halfway around the world becuase you know how it is like to crave for THAT PARTICULAR FOOD. :wink:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

You *know* you're an EGulleteer when...........

You trot out to your patio at 9:30 at night, braving a major June bug invasion, to pluck some fresh mint leaves to put on your "midnight snack" of sliced strawberries macerated in Grand Marnier, then drizzled with some fresh lime juice & sprinkled with sugar. AND chiffonade-ing (forgive me, I'm quite sure I spelled that wrong....) the mint quite precisely before adding it to the berries.

Which, BTW, were delicious. The mint absolutely made them sing. And I managed to dodge any attacks by the dreaded Junie Bugz.........

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

you know you're an egulleter when you have actually contemplated using tumeric as eyeshadow (not a lot just a little), and rose water or orange blossom water as "perfume"

eta: I dont think the above mentioned makes me an egulleter...it makes me weird :hmmm:

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

When you spot a thread titled "Phyllo Dough", read it, and fantasize about making every dough/pastry known to man. Then your heart breaks a little when you remember that you don't have a stand mixer, and therefore no dough hook. Then you think about working out a bit more so you can do it by hand.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

I hear you AB.

And when you offer to send food goodies to a stranger halfway around the world becuase you know how it is like to crave for THAT PARTICULAR FOOD. :wink:

Hmmm...and who is the lucky receiver of the goodies you are sending. Might they be coming to Chicago? TO ME? Haha! Again - YOU'RE THE BEST for doing this, I am so excited. Yours will be mailed out soon too. Be expecting whoppers (I just think you need to try these - they're an added bonus to the other things) milkduds, and goldfish in multiple varieties (cheddar, parmeson, and a few other surprises!).

:biggrin:

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

• 4 weeks later...

:biggrin:

I am so proud!

I think I am finally an official E-Ger!

(that in itself oughta do it! :rolleyes: )

I have been craving sushi so hard, even dreaming of lovely, velvety uni swimming around my head. I gathered my nerves and hit "buy"! Now, I am pacing the floor anxiously waiting for the FEDEX truck to bring me my fresh load of fish.......fatty tuna, salmon, uni, and salmon roe. drool. I have never made my own sushi before, and you know what they say.."necessity......."

My first thought was of course, to tell all of you and ask for advice!

(if you havn't guessed, I recently moved to a very southern, land-locked state, where the people actually don't know what sushi is?) Truly, I have been asked! More than once!

Now, happily, I am getting fresh fish, that I paid Way too much for and will gorge myself until I fall bloated to the floor in a sushi coma with a big, stupid grin on my face.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, life is good!

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

...when you keep a supply of Pocky in your office desk drawer.

Credit to torakris and her Foodblog for that one.  :raz:

You learn about Pocky from the foodblogs, and use them to pottytrain your toddler.

And forget to tell Gramma what "Pocky!" are. She assumes its a cute word that belongs on that other thread.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

...when you keep a supply of Pocky in your office desk drawer.

Credit to torakris and her Foodblog for that one.  :raz:

...when you get excited because after a much-too-long absence, one of your favourite members is posting again!

Nice to see you again SobaAddict!

Word! :biggrin:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

...when you have desserts for breakfast more often than not only because you were waiting for the perfect lighting to take a picture.

Really, I need to time things better so I can use the evening light instead, but work makes it tough. That's okay, I don't mind dessert in the morning.

So it's not just me.

You know you're a gadget-loving egulleter when you can't wait for the next thread on kitchen equipment. Of course, I keep telling myself that I don't need anything more for my kitchen. My inner self replies "What if you've missing the one great thing that will make your kitchen life complete :wink: . So it's off to "Today's Hot Topics" again because who knows what may have popped up in the last 20 minutes...

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

My mom just came back from Hungary and brought back paprika. I thought this was so cool, when I spoke with my sister today and mentioned, "Mommy brought us back some paprika", she just laughed, it took awhile to dawn on me that she was not excited (I think she expected a magnet or doll, LOL!). It's really funny because I was just speaking to my BIL about travel and he said instead of regular souvineirs he trys to bring back local spices/foodstuffs, and he shared my excitment about the paprika. Just a different mindset, I then thought of this thread.

I totally empathize with this. I came back from Mexico with a couple of kilos of local sea salt to distribute as gifts for the few people I know who would appreciate it. The comments I got about walking around the office with a purse full of Mexican salt were priceless.

And my parents were cute when they went to Hawaii. Instead of the usual oversized t-shirt and tacky earrings, they brought me 3 different kinds of salt, purple taro bread machine mix, macadamia nuts, and a couple of exotic spice blends. I was so excited!

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest