• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You know you're an EGulleter when...

gfron1

"Candied" duck legs?

How to bone a duck neck for stuffing it

lamb shoulder chops

Goose Fat and Garlic

Pigs in Blankets

none of these titles seem odd anymore

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

You realize you're an EGulleter when.....

....while making kid's school lunches you realize that there is no bread in the house, so you whip out the crepe batter out of your fridge and make the kiddies crepes with berry compote for their lunch box.

If only I'd worn looser pants....

...you have more pictures of food than of anything else from your European vacation.

... when you're looking forward to Megan's trip report more than to another round of your friends' boring beach-vacation pictures :smile:

:blush:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

When you find yourself spending time in Bangkok cursing over the image posting process so you can get your latest stuff up rather than out on the streets.......

I think I need professional help (and I don't mean with the image posting).

When friends and relatives don't even blink an eye anymore when you whip out a camera before dinner to get a close up while it's still warm.

My dining companions couldn't resist chuckling every time I whipped out the camera to take the pictures for this post in my current foodblog.

I refrained from photographing their dishes, probably to their relief. They already know about my big-time traingeekery, and this probably would have sent them 'round the bend. :wink:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 1 month later...

...when you dream that Mr. and Mrs. Fat Guy come over to your house for dinner (guess they found a sitter). The bad thing is I can't remember what we were eating! But we were sitting on the floor...

I think this means I am feeling bad about not taking Gully out to dinner yet (soon!), and also that I need to quit eating so late.. :wacko:

When:

The only reason you own and operate a digital camera is to post on egullet.

Or even better, when you specifically go out and buy a digital camera in order to carry out an eGullet food blog.

(Okay, I did own an old one before the blog, but it went pffffffft! the very first morning of the blog, so...)

Or when you put off doing the blog requested because you want to have a better digital camera first.... :biggrin:

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

When:

The only reason you own and operate a digital camera is to post on egullet.

Or even better, when you specifically go out and buy a digital camera in order to carry out an eGullet food blog.

(Okay, I did own an old one before the blog, but it went pffffffft! the very first morning of the blog, so...)

Edited by sazji (log)

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

...when you realize that you are in your second transition.

The first transition was when I felt guilty about eating certain things, because they were highly-processed and just not "pc" for eGullet. Or when I ate them but knew I would never "fess up" to it on eG.

The second transition is no longer having any appetite, at all, for such things.

What's next? :laugh:

The first transition was when I felt guilty about eating certain things, because they were highly-processed and just not "pc" for eGullet.  Or when I ate them but knew I would never "fess up" to it on eG.

The second transition is no longer having any appetite, at all, for such things.

Not caring whether or not what you eat is "pc" for eGullet. The guiding principle should be that you enjoy it. If your experience with eGullet has led you to eat better food, that's great, but if you enjoy foods that might run afoul of some Taste Police contingent or other, relax. There are probably Society members out there who share your fondness for same.

Sometimes, we'll even 'fess up about them. Let NulloModo serve as your inspiration.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

The first transition was when I felt guilty about eating certain things, because they were highly-processed and just not "pc" for eGullet.  Or when I ate them but knew I would never "fess up" to it on eG.

Dang, that's so me too.

...when you see L Vanel commenting somewhere on Milk and Cookies, and think bleudauvergne!

...when you realise that she's only recently met the World Peace aka Korova cookie and think, "She must drop by the Pastry and Baking forum more often."

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

When you feel bad for the pig used to make the commercial bacon you ate yesterday.....that belly was so perfect it should have been treated much better.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

The Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles has been re-opened only for a month since November - after a 4-year, 90+ million dollar renovation. I was among the privileged few average citizens who visited the observatory since its re-opening.

But before seeing Samuel Oschin Planetarium, The Big Picture or the brand new Leonard Nimoy Event Horizon Theater... what was the first thing that I did? Went into the Cafe At The End Of The Universe to check out their food! (Well... it was really convenient because they are right next to the West Entrance...)

Lasagna was the only hot item I saw. And cold cut sandwiches. A little disappointing. I like the Cafe at the Getty Museum much better. Well, it goes to show the difference in food appreciation between artists and scientists. :laugh:

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

...You make fresh pizza dough and tagliatelli when the person you're seeing mentions that they haven't eaten Italian in a while, and is disproportionately impressed that you got this done while she was showering and getting dressed to go out.

(we went out anyway, I'm not stupid)

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

AMEN!!

You know you are an e-gulleteer when...

Your husband can sooth your extreme dental phobia by offering you prime rib.

(yep, happened last week....)

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Not caring whether or not what you eat is "pc" for eGullet. The guiding principle should be that you enjoy it. If your experience with eGullet has led you to eat better food, that's great, but if you enjoy foods that might run afoul of some Taste Police contingent or other, relax. There are probably Society members out there who share your fondness for same.

Sometimes, we'll even 'fess up about them. Let NulloModo serve as your inspiration.

yeah...but it does lurk in the back of your mind somewhere.....hmmmmmmm....the food I used to call "normal" is now swell compared to what I can cook now.....

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

• 1 month later...

When the food that you've cooked for your family gets cold while you're photographing it and you don't care.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

...your son turns to you during dinner at a friend's house and says, "Next time, can you ask Auntie **** to roast the cauliflower like we do at home instead of putting this goopy orange sauce on it?"

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

When you're recruiting memebers you've never met. My daughter's boss is married to the kind of obsessive home cook we know and love here. The boss mentioned her husband's sous-vide jones, my girl mentioned eGullet -- he joined the next day.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 2 weeks later...

You know your're an eGulleteer when...

You do something really stupid with an egg, and instead of throwing it in the garbage or giving it to the dog like normal people, you rush to get your camera and post it for the world to see....

-Lea de Laria

You know your're an eGulleteer when...

You do something really stupid with an egg, and instead of throwing it in the garbage or giving it to the dog like normal people, you rush to get your camera and post it for the world to see....

You can bake eggs in the shell if you set your oven temp to about 160 degrees.

SB (why you would want to, I don't know :unsure: )

yeah...but it does lurk in the back of your mind somewhere.....hmmmmmmm....the food I used to call "normal" is now swell compared to what I can cook now.....

did you mean "swell" or did you mean "swill"? makes a bit of difference in the post.. :biggrin:

Edited by alanamoana (log)