• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You know you're an EGulleter when...

gfron1

You know you are an EGer when you feel guilty about not taking pics of what you take out of the oven.

I hear you. Now my husband doesn't ask anymore why I have my camera in the kitchen and why it is constantly being recharged.

You know when you're an EGer when your youngest son asks if you can take a picture of him instead of the [ __________ ] *insert whatever appropriate food item.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

• 2 weeks later...

When you post about eG on other forums that have nothing to do with cooking and people are actually interested after checking the site. And some even become members.

Right, Domestic Goddess?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

When one of your worries about your upcoming wedding is that you won't have a chance to take pictures of the food... and you realise that your egulleteer sister/bridesmaid would be the perfect photographer for you.

When you skip the wedding (paying to feed all those other people is so expensive!), take a trip instead, and make the whole journey into a culinary tour.

When you view trips to visit friends and relatives across country as excuses for going to the best restaurants within 100 miles of their homes.

When your partner/housemates books are in stacks on the living room floor because your cookbook collection has taken over all of the shelves.

When you can't get out of a used bookstore without bringing 6 cookbooks with you, 5 of which you'll never cook from because they are novelty items like "The War-Time Edition Russian Cookbook for American Homes" from 1943 and the Campbell's "Cooking with Soup" cookbook from 1970 (horrifyingly great food photography).

Owner of Salt in Montpelier, VT

www.saltcafevt.com

When you post about eG on other forums that have nothing to do with cooking and people are actually interested after checking the site. And some even become members.

Right, Domestic Goddess?

Right you are Andie, right you are... :cool:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

All of the above TRUE except maybe the part about the gout.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

When you head off to try a new restaurant and your first thought isn't "Damn, I forgot the map!" but "Damn, I forgot the camera!"

(I forgot both. Found it anyway and had a reasonably good meal without photographical documentation anyway.)

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

when a picture of uncooked meat makes your mouth water! :P

Try this one then, Onigiri. Took it at a friend's farm. These calves in rural Australia will be going to Japan and end up as wagyu beef :raz:

gallery_44937_3643_45489.jpg

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

...when your boss always asks you on a business trip where the eG people said we should eat. :)

...when there isn't one "real" person you know, only other eGulleters, who would be as excited as you were at making your first duck confit (which I did last week. Yay!!! So yummy).

...when the first thing you plan for your upcoming vacation is where and what to eat

...when trips to new food/liquor stores require egullet research to be sure you know what to buy

...when you begin to realize how much $$$ egullet has cost you as you expand your collection of food, kitchen tools, liquor and cooking magazines!

...when friends and family start calling you the queen of the kitchen instead of offering to bring a dish or "let's just meet at a restaurant".

...when even simple trips to a local area become field trips to try a new restaurant or store.

KathyM

...when friends and family start calling you the queen of the kitchen instead of offering to bring a dish or "let's just meet at a restaurant".

I've finally gotten my friends trained not to even bother asking if they can bring anything!

With only a few posts to my name, it's hard to say I'm truly an eGulleter yet, but I've been lurking like mad and my day isn't complete until I've read all of the new postings. But I think the truly litmus test must be whether you've read all 54 pages (or whatever it's up to) of the Dinner! thread. :blink:

But here's another one:

...when you own more than 10 varieties of salt and you're excited to go to a new store and discover a few more that you don't own...yet.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

...you have more pictures of food than of anything else from your European vacation.

... when you're looking forward to Megan's trip report more than to another round of your friends' boring beach-vacation pictures :smile: