• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You know you're an EGulleter when...

gfron1

. . .when you're planning a trip, and you inform your husband that you'll be eating wherever the people on eGullet said you should eat, and you already know where you want to go when you get there.

. . .when your husband has learned that when you're sitting at the computer laughing hysterically, it's worth interrupting a football game to come in and hear about it, because you're probably reading that "never again" thread, or something else equally as good.

. . .when your co-workers are staring at your lunch, trying to figure out what it is, and ask, "so which eGullet thread is this from?"

You can't make even a simple sandwich without feeling that a host of members are floating weightlessly around you just waiting to snitch on you for sloppy knife skills, lack of imagination, flawed produce or unkempt mise en place.

Go away, all of you.  :biggrin:

:biggrin: I won't tell anybody about your unkempt mise en place if you won't tell anybody about the Fritos I ate for dinner last night! I had exactly the same thoughts! :laugh:

you know you're an eGulleter when:

--you have actually had pretty passionate "discussions" about sugar (or not) in corn bread, taco kits, and the difference between green onions, shallots, and echalottes grises (francaises) with various members over the years. :raz:

--you're *mortified* to have Miracle Whip, margarine, bacon bits, or their ilk in the house. :laugh:

...umm, not that you would...

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

When you live far, far from the exotic restaurants, the must-go-to places, and must suffer from Panisse-envy and Laundry blues because you'll never make it to California just for THAT reason, but you can savor the SEEING and the telling, because everybody who goes there is gonna post pictures.

When you and your daughter discuss what Megan said and what Daniel cooked, relate the news from the regular contingent with the familiarity of family, and await the latest Daily Gullet prose with the fervor of a Potter fan in line at Borders.

When you look upon cyber-strangers as friends to dinner, and upon yourself as their virtu-guest, enjoying the food and the prep and the camaraderie born of easy company and familiar surroundings.

When you approach a store aisle for a purchase, step back and handblock a frame for a photo-shot.

When you assure your husband that no, 200 cookbooks isn't excessive, you know people with far more, and no, it isn't time to weed the collection;

When you go sleep-deprived for a week because you're staying up till all hours doing a braising class after work and then posting about the results;

When your husband doesn't dare come upstairs for all the whooping and laughing going on during a recipe testing session for a cookbook;

When you proudly show off the newly-published cookbook with your name listed in the acknowledgements as one of the eGullet team of recipe testers;

When you've struck up a friendship with the cookbook's author, and your family members know who you're talking about;

When your real-world friends stop blinking at the oddball cooking equipment that keeps turning up in your kitchen. (Doesn't everyone have a tagine?)

When dinner ranges from Cajun to Lebanese inside a week, even though you haven't a trace of either culture in your upbringing;

When a friend or family member says "how does that online group say this xxx should be cooked?"

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

When you live far, far from the exotic restaurants, the must-go-to places, and must suffer from Panisse-envy and Laundry blues because you'll never make it to California just for THAT reason, but you can savor the SEEING and the telling, because everybody who goes there is gonna post pictures.

When you sit there over lunch quite seriously debating with your sister the possibility of eating at The French Laundy on each of your respective honeymoons. Yountville being quite far from Ireland.

When:

The only reason you own and operate a digital camera is to post on egullet.

No seriously, only used it the first day I got it for something other than egullet purposes.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

-----when you absolutely have to find a Wi-Fi spot at the Anaheim Convention Center, while attending LA WorldCon, to check on what is going on at eG, and, turn down an invitation to join a discussion group with two authors because catching up on some interesting eG discussions seems more important at the moment.

and............ when you are able to give several people reports on restaurants in L.A. by pulling up chrisamirault's thread on L.A. (and Anaheim) restaurants, including the fantastic Mayflower Seafood place.

As they read the reviews, there were "Wows" and "Look at This One!" exclamations and finally the flip of a coin to decide.

The convention lasted 5 days and most people came for a week since both the Hilton and the Marriott had offered Disneyland packages in addition to reduced rates for convention attendees.

I also sent two couple to Mi Ama in Hawthorne, recallling Chris Cognac's recommendations and the notes on the group dinner in July '04. I pulled up the Culinary Detective website and it too was carefully perused and many notes taken.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

-when you skip class to read old posts on egullet(I did this today and I skipped a marketing class).

-when you scope out everyone at a restaurant/grocery store/market/bar to see if you might recognize anyone from egullet (too bad I dont know anyone...and I dont think I would recognize anyone because barely anyone has their own pics in their avatars/profiles)

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

You dip your fries in vodka

:blink::blink::blink:

Dude, that's like...whoa. Random.

You know you're an eGulleter when you wake up late, put on your workout clothes, make some coffee and sit down to just QUICKLY check eG...

two hours later you still haven't exercised, although you have put a serious dent in the plate of peanut butter cookies. :shock:

Have you been hovering over my shoulder as I surf eG?

It's made me late for work on more than one occasion.

:wink:

you know you're an eGulleter when:

[...]

--you're *mortified* to have Miracle Whip, margarine, bacon bits, or their ilk in the house.  :laugh:

...umm, not that you would...

Speak for yourself, Bub.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

When your butcher asks you if you want to take a photo before he wraps a piece of meat.

When your kitchen camera has rabbit blood and duck fat smeared on the lens.

When you have a kitchen camera...

Not as wild as the butcher asking, but when family and friends who are not on eGullet prompt you to take a photo at gatherings before eating the food.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

When:

The only reason you own and operate a digital camera is to post on egullet.

Or even better, when you specifically go out and buy a digital camera in order to carry out an eGullet food blog.

(Okay, I did own an old one before the blog, but it went pffffffft! the very first morning of the blog, so...)

Edited by mizducky (log)

When friends and relatives don't even blink an eye anymore when you whip out a camera before dinner to get a close up while it's still warm.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

When you're just an average cook.

You come home brain-fried from a trying day at work , too tired to make anything other than a simple BLT and a glass of milk.

And as your stomach screams for food, you check in first to see if anyone here has a tastier way to make it.

When a fellow eGulleteer (Kouign Aman) :smile: points out to you that your entry in Kerry Beal's foodblog ...

I've only just come to this blog, and was just going to take a quick peek at it before I went up to the park for a walk. And here I sit, a couple of hours later, still in my running shoes (so much for good intentions!).

... more appropriately belongs in this thread!

I never did make it up to the park. I blame Kerry. :raz:

You know you are an E-Gulleter when you go through 24 eggs in a weekend trying to make a chocolate genoise.

This should be me in a few weeks.

You know you are an EGer when you feel guilty about not taking pics of what you take out of the oven. :laugh:

Edited by miladyinsanity (log)

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog