• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You know you're an EGulleter when...

gfron1

I've been thinking about starting this thread for a while. Every time I have a dinner party and pull out my camera to take pictures to post on EGullet, I get weird looks and comments. Its become a joke to the town when I come to someone else's party and start snapping pics. So...anyone want to share their most "EGullet" moments with the group?

How about when you walk up to a total stranger at the Shake Shack and say "excuse me...are you so-and-so from eGullet?"

the REALLY scary thing is, it was he.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

You know you're an eGulleteer when ...

... one of your favorite recreational activities is going out to dinner with a bunch of other on-line foodies, so that the whole party can share the joys of ordering a bunch of wild stuff, photographing every dish, gossipping non-stop about restaurants and food, and chuckling at other diners' bemused looks. :laugh:

So that's what I am. :biggrin:

I just go to restaurants to photograph breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches and my wife actually puts up with it. :laugh:

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

.....You know your an eGulleteer when.....

the first thing you do when you sign on; the first thing you do when you come home; they first thing you do when you wake up; the first thing you do in between cooking breaks is too see if your ghostly blue/red folder has turned bright and opaque blue/yellow and is in the top three spots.

boy is that a highlight of the day.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

you reply to this thread on a saturday night.

*snuffle*

....I have a cold

Even worse, when I posted that last night, I had just walked in from part one of a date (drinks) to change my shoes (broke a strap, that's ok, they gave me blisters anyway), and was on my way out to part two (tapas and wine. A lot of tapas. A lot of wine. All of which explains why I didn't move till noon today. Best choices: the morcilla frita and the chorizo en sidra), and somehow found time to check into eG. :shock: Now THAT makes me an eGulleter. :raz:

So the question is...did you recognize them from their picture or was it because they asked the worker if they had any croquant to top their shake?

Picture. There was distinctive headgear. :cool:

K

When you explain to your computer-less mom that you're going to make zuchinni fritters that Chuffi made, and your mom knows who Chuffi is. :biggrin:

(true story)

When you teach your entire family to roast califlower, and then make soup from said roast, only to find out someone beat you to it on page nine of the thread.

---------------------------------------

You know when you're an EGulleter when...

you wake up early just to see if your thread has made it to a second page.

your favorite saying is "outling the Ling."

Edited by gfron1 (log)

You know you are an eGulleter when you find yourself in the hospital lab at 8 in the evening with your silicone spatulas, looking under the microscope to figure out what the grung is growing on them, so you can rush home and post to other eGulleters what you have found.

I think we need to start eG Anonymous ... friends of Fat G.

"Hi, I'm Kerry, and I'm addicted to eG. It started out innocently enough, just checking out a fact, or recipe on a weekend now and then. Then I realized there was a question out there that someone in cyberspace had...and I knew the answer!!! I tried to post...I couldn't!!! WTF!!! I had to apply for posting privileges. I just answered a question, or made a comment now and then..."

... you are spending the usual couple hours catching up on the latest foodblog when your wife appears, arms crossed and brow furrowed, to declare herself an "eGullet Widow".

:unsure::raz:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

You know you're an eGulleter when. . .

. . .you get excited when you post a question about an obscure ingredient, and it's answered by one of your favorite cookbook authors.

. . . your husband walks into the computer room to find tears rolling down your cheeks and learns that one of your friends died. Upon further inquiry, he also learns that you aren't going to the funeral because you don't know exactly where he lived... and that in fact, you've never actually met him.

. . .your friends get into an argument about an answer to a Jeopardy question, and since it's about food, they call you. When you protest that you don't know the answer, they reply, "Well, can't you ask somebody on that online thing?". . .and indeed you have an answer for them in 20 minutes.

. . .when a friend wants to go to a movie, and you can't because you're participating in an online class. And she doesn't believe you're taking an online class about braising short ribs.

When eGullet is named as the co-respondent in your divorce proceedings ...

or for the little used "alienation of affections" tort by your furious spouse ... as a food discussion website, make that "torte". :hmmm:

your children can only identify their eGulleteer parent when offered photographs of the back of his/her head ...

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I'm with Christine007...when your mom knows who Fwed is even though she's never signed on...when all your friends have names like Fwed, Skwerl and bakerkel...when your vacation plan revolves around "am I going to Seattle to do lunch at Salumi with Fwed and the gang or to Chicago for a potluck at Ronnie's"...when you flip into the pastry section on autopilot when you meant to go to an excell spreadsheet to actually do some WORK while you're at work :shock: ...I could go on and on and on. :laugh:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Surfing the web--went to my favorite olive oil's web site and found a quote I made on a thread here about how good the oil was--"Bill Miller, eGullitier, said----etc". I realized there is some influence here.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

....when you are savoring a particularly delicious mouthful of food, and you realize that you're already thinking of the phrases that you're going to use to describe said mouthful, as if that process had become an autonomic response.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

When your mother, who lives a thousand miles away, asks: "Now how old is Fat Guy's little boy" or "How is that lovely ronnie you have so much fun with?" She's never met either, and I've met only one of the gents.

Your daughter says: "So who've you got coming up on the Daily Gullet ? Is it cutting into your own writing time, Mom?"

Your husband says: "You should really start a thread about the superiority of sliced pickled onions over plain raw ones on hamburgers. See: Nigella agrees with me."

Your co-workers call you Margaret Stewart.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

You dip your fries in vodka

:blink::blink::blink:

Dude, that's like...whoa. Random.

You know you're an eGulleter when you wake up late, put on your workout clothes, make some coffee and sit down to just QUICKLY check eG...

two hours later you still haven't exercised, although you have put a serious dent in the plate of peanut butter cookies. :shock:

You can't make even a simple sandwich without feeling that a host of members are floating weightlessly around you just waiting to snitch on you for sloppy knife skills, lack of imagination, flawed produce or unkempt mise en place.

Go away, all of you. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog