• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summary of my trip to Vancouver

Back from Vancouver and my main learning from this trip is that the inexpensive places are the places to go. The overpriced and raved top tier places are just not worth it when the city offeres such fabulous ehtnic options. Stick with ethnic and your mouth will thank you.

1. Go Fish: Lovely little fish and chips place by the water that is sustainable and organic. Had some halibut and chips that they served with a spicy Asian slaw. Just fabulous. Massive pieces of fish and impossibly crispy batter.

2. Zakkushi: Izakaya style Japanese restaurant. Notable dishes being grilled rice balls, grilled chicken livers and hearts, chicken meatballs topped with ground daikon and ponzu. All just lovely. Clean flavor and cheap.

3. Sun Sui Wah: Dim sum with quality that rivals Hong Kong. Amazing variety, piping hot and a definite must try if you are in the area. Kitchen does not open until 11 so dim sum only until then. We had a whole roasted squab which was lovely.

4. Tojos: I had heard so much positive feedback about this place was very excited to try it. Many local chefs warned me that the quality had gone down but I just decided to go any way. The BF got some sashimi and I did they $80 omakase. My first dish arrived and it was a beautiful tuna with ponzu. It was so fresh and delicious. The next dish arrived and it was some squash blossoms stuffed with scallops and fried. A total letdown. The meal just got progressively worse. The chef was making things in an assembly line and it was like eating at some mediocre Japanese mall restaurant. It was just so bad and not worth the money. I should have had the sashimi like the BF but his was also $90 for 16 pieces of fish. A total rip considering Miko and Toshi (2 other places in town) were way better. Seems like Tojo is just coasting on a reputation he built a long time ago. Save you money and hit Miko or Toshi. Trust me.

5. West restaurant: Widely considered to be Vancouvers's best restaurant. Lumiere and West are in a competition. I had a lovely scallop appetizer which was divine. Scallops in a lobster and lime broth topped with a crab ravioli. Very tasty. I had a chanterelle and arugula risotto for my main and it was soooo good. The service was also impeccable. A definite must try.

6. Feenie's: The lower-priced alternative to Lumiere who always gets voted best brunch. We went over for some brunch on Sunday and it was divine. I had a croque madame that was to-die-for. BF had a burger (seems everyone gets them there) and he said it was good aside from the fact that they will only serve it medium and he is a rare kind of guy. Great meal and cute neighborhood.

7. Vij's: Vancouverites just love this place and the wait shows it. We went for dinner at 5:45 because they do not take reservations and it is just impossible after 6. I like the all-woman kitchen and the atmosphere is nice. We ordered the wild boar, rapini with cashews and panir, lamb popsicles and chicken with jalapenos and cilantro. They pass little nibbles around which were quite good. I loved the cassava fries. The boar was great. It was topped with cantaloupe which was a welcome surprise. The rapini was bitter and lacking salt. Not a great dish. The lamb was good but not the best curry I have had. It was served on top of undercooked potatoes which just ruined the dish for me. The chicken was disgusting and over-spiced. A total waste and neither of us touched it after one bite. The naan was also a let down. It was dry and lacking salt. They also failed to brush it with ghee which ruined it in my opinion. It had also failed to bubble sufficiently making it tough and our basket just sat there uneaten...an true oddity considering we normally devour it. All in all a decent meal but I wish we had listened to my chef friend and hit rangoli next door (Vij's less-expensive and more traditional restaurant). I just like the simple Indian food I grew up eating and most of the time these fusion restaurants disappoint. Vij's was no exception. We got out for $150 total.

8. Kirin Mandarin: Hit this place for dinner. We ordered a peking duck and stir fried crab. The place was packed and I can see why. The food was awesome and very fresh. Perfect even. A must-try for Chinese dinner if you are in Vancouver.

9. Rodney's in Yaletown. Great oyster house. Fresh, fresh, fresh. Nice selection of house made sauces as well. The steamers are also divine. A bit pricey but worth it. Nice staff too.

10. The hot dogs and wraps on the street are also a steal and just delicious. Grab one if you are in a hurry and in need of a good bite.

Edited by The Blissful Glutton (log)

Very spooky Blissful Glutton!

Not only did you hit the same places I would have on a short visit, but you had the same comments about them.

Or...wait...is that you Dolores?

I thought her name was Mulva. :laugh:

The only "odd" thing I found in the report was how you started by saying "go ethnic", and then the first glowing review you gave was for Go Fish! I agree with you completely, but it just struck me as odd.

Nice report ... thanks for making it.

A.

Hi,

I totally respect your views and thoughts and just have a couple of questions and clarifications.

Did you bring it to anybody's attention that the potatoes were undercooked or the chicken was too spicy?. If you enjoy the traditional Indian meal then you would know to ask for Raita and it would have have softened the spice level down.

I do apologize for undercooked Potatoes. Naan is always brushed with Ghee. Is Rapini not suppose to be Bitter? Were there salted Cashews on the dish to give a little extra texture. We did design this dish for subtle flavours.

Because I do not use Tandoor my Naans are suppose to be little thicker and heavier.

The food at Rangoli is cooked with the same atttention as it is cooked at Vij's. I would love to know what part of it did you think was fusion. Do you mean fusion of Flavours or of ingredients.

Vikram Vij

Back from Vancouver and my main learning from this trip is that the inexpensive places are the places to go. The overpriced and raved top tier places are just not worth it when the city offeres such fabulous ehtnic options. Stick with ethnic and your mouth will thank you.

1. Go Fish: Lovely little fish and chips place by the water that is sustainable and organic. Had some halibut and chips that they served with a spicy Asian slaw. Just fabulous. Massive pieces of fish and impossibly crispy batter.

2. Zakkushi: Izakaya style Japanese restaurant. Notable dishes being grilled rice balls, grilled chicken livers and hearts, chicken meatballs topped with ground daikon and ponzu. All just lovely. Clean flavor and cheap.

3. Sun Sui Wah: Dim sum with quality that rivals Hong Kong. Amazing variety, piping hot and a definite must try if you are in the area. Kitchen does not open until 11 so dim sum only until then. We had a whole roasted squab which was lovely.

4. Tojos: I had heard so much positive feedback about this place was very excited to try it. Many local chefs warned me that the quality had gone down but I just decided to go any way. The BF got some sashimi and I did they $80 omakase. My first dish arrived and it was a beautiful tuna with ponzu. It was so fresh and delicious. The next dish arrived and it was some squash blossoms stuffed with scallops and fried. A total letdown. The meal just got progressively worse. The chef was making things in an assembly line and it was like eating at some mediocre Japanese mall restaurant. It was just so bad and not worth the money. I should have had the sashimi like the BF but his was also $90 for 16 pieces of fish. A total rip considering Miko and Toshi (2 other places in town) were way better. Seems like Tojo is just coasting on a reputation he built a long time ago. Save you money and hit Miko or Toshi. Trust me.

5. West restaurant: Widely considered to be Vancouvers's best restaurant. Lumiere and West are in a competition. I had a lovely scallop appetizer which was divine. Scallops in a lobster and lime broth topped with a crab ravioli. Very tasty. I had a chanterelle and arugula risotto for my main and it was soooo good. The service was also impeccable. A definite must try.

6. Feenie's: The lower-priced alternative to Lumiere who always gets voted best brunch. We went over for some brunch on Sunday and it was divine. I had a croque madame that was to-die-for. BF had a burger (seems everyone gets them there) and he said it was good aside from the fact that they will only serve it medium and he is a rare kind of guy. Great meal and cute neighborhood.

7. Vij's: Vancouverites just love this place and the wait shows it. We went for dinner at 5:45 because they do not take reservations and it is just impossible after 6. I like the all-woman kitchen and the atmosphere is nice. We ordered the wild boar, rapini with cashews and panir, lamb popsicles and chicken with jalapenos and cilantro. They pass little nibbles around which were quite good. I loved the cassava fries. The boar was great. It was topped with cantaloupe which was a welcome surprise. The rapini was bitter and lacking salt. Not a great dish. The lamb was good but not the best curry I have had. It was served on top of undercooked potatoes which just ruined the dish for me. The chicken was disgusting and over-spiced. A total waste and neither of us touched it after one bite. The naan was also a let down. It was dry and lacking salt. They also failed to brush it with ghee which ruined it in my opinion. It had also failed to bubble sufficiently making it tough and our basket just sat there uneaten...an true oddity considering we normally devour it. All in all a decent meal but I wish we had listened to my chef friend and hit rangoli next door (Vij's less-expensive and more traditional restaurant). I just like the simple Indian food I grew up eating and most of the time these fusion restaurants disappoint. Vij's was no exception. We got out for $150 total.

8. Kirin Mandarin: Hit this place for dinner. We ordered a peking duck and stir fried crab. The place was packed and I can see why. The food was awesome and very fresh. Perfect even. A must-try for Chinese dinner if you are in Vancouver.

9. Rodney's in Yaletown. Great oyster house. Fresh, fresh, fresh. Nice selection of house made sauces as well. The steamers are also divine. A bit pricey but worth it. Nice staff too.

10. The hot dogs and wraps on the street are also a steal and just delicious. Grab one if you are in a hurry and in need of a good bite.