• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodie things to do in Kuala Lumpur

Are restaurants and markets generally open at the end of the year? We're thinking of taking a cheap trip over around the end of December through the beginning of January, but if businesses and such won't be open, there's really no point.

Yes, restaurants and markets would be business as usual.

What made you think otherwise? Unless you were thinking of the monsoon season, but that's on the East Coast. If you're not heading there you'll be fine.

Yes, restaurants and markets would be business as usual.

What made you think otherwise? Unless you were thinking of the monsoon season, but that's on the East Coast. If you're not heading there you'll be fine.

I guess I've been in Japan too long. Things around here usually shut down for a few days at the beginning of January.

So I guess it's Kuala Lumpur this year! Will be back to ask foodie-specific questions once I've examined the topics already on-hand and, of course, bought my tickets!

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Anyone familiar with cooking schools in Kuala Lumpur? I'm looking specifically for learning to cook Malaysian food.

So far I've found the Westin Hotel and Mandarin Oriental Hotel both give cooking classes, but I think I'd prefer something a bit more homely.

That leaves me with two choices. One is Carana (also called LaZat), but I can't get to their website without a trojan horse trying to sneak its way into my computer. That eliminates them off the bat, in my opinion.

The second choice is Rebung. Rebung is tempting, anyway, because it includes lunch at the restaurant, and I read Tepee's account of a Ramadan get-together held there a couple of years ago. I think the food would probably be very good, though I can't tell from the website if it's more a demonstration class or a real cooking class. I'd prefer a real cooking class if possible, but I'm not completely adverse to just being lazy and eating the fruits of someone else's labour.

Are there any other schools that are recommended?

Also, we're thinking of going up to Cameron Highlands Dec. 31-Jan. 1. It seemed too long a drive to be done as a day trip, but even with two days and one night, would it be too quick a trip? Best saved for a more leisurely visit? My mother can't really do any trekking or hiking, so it's not like we need time for that. But we do like to relax whenever possible. Any food or accommodation recs for that area?

We hired a driver (very long story about how we ended up with a cab driver that also worked as a day driver/ that also part timed as a bodyguard in KL / ) to take us from KL to the Highlands last March. We stayed overnight and the two days were just the right amount of time. Beautiful trip, very curvy roads. I'll try to find the Hotel name. It was about 14 stories, top of a mountain, near empty, excellent stay.

My SIL teaches and coaches soccer at the Graded - International school in KL. We were there for two weeks.

Edited by Sam Iam (log)

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

We hired a driver (very long story about how we ended up with a cab driver that also worked as a day driver/ that also part timed as a bodyguard in KL / ) to take us from KL to the Highlands last March. We stayed overnight and the two days were just the right amount of time. Beautiful trip, very curvy roads. I'll try to find the Hotel name. It was about 14 stories, top of a mountain, near empty, excellent stay.

My SIL teaches and coaches soccer at the Graded - International school in KL. We were there for two weeks.

I'm looking at chauffeured car rentals, as well, but haven't heard back from any of the companies, yet. Then we could just do what we wanted, and avoid the butterfly and strawberry farms which I imagine are just big tourist traps (the tea plantation, however, I'd like to see, tourist trap or not).

Yes - the tea plantations are delightful! You can also book a bus to travel from KL to Cameron Highlands, but if you want to take you time and go from plantation to plantation, I'd suggest hiring a car or paying a driver for the day.

I can recommend a driver who I always use when I visit KL. His name is Eddie and phone number +60166914139. He is incredibly trustworthy, safe driver, good english, seat belts in cars (this is rare for many drivers) and has a business with several cars and other drivers. He's never let me down.

Otherwise, if you don't mind battling the KL traffic (which can be horrendous in peak hour), try hiring a car. Actually, you could hire it from the airport and go straight to the highlands, and you wouldn't even need to enter KL with it.

Avis, Hertz, National and Thrifty all have 24-hour car rental from the arrival deck of KL international airport. They probably respond better to phone calls than emails though if you're trying to work out the price beforehand.

Anyone familiar with cooking schools in Kuala Lumpur?  I'm looking specifically for learning to cook Malaysian food.

So far I've found the Westin Hotel and Mandarin Oriental Hotel both give cooking classes, but I think I'd prefer something a bit more homely.

That leaves me with two choices.  One is Carana (also called LaZat), but I can't get to their website without a trojan horse trying to sneak its way into my computer.  That eliminates them off the bat, in my opinion.

The second choice is Rebung.  Rebung is tempting, anyway, because it includes lunch at the restaurant, and I read Tepee's account of a Ramadan get-together held there a couple of years ago.  I think the food would probably be very good, though I can't tell from the website if it's more a demonstration class or a real cooking class.  I'd prefer a real cooking class if possible, but I'm not completely adverse to just being lazy and eating the fruits of someone else's labour. 

Are there any other schools that are recommended? 

Also, we're thinking of going up to Cameron Highlands Dec. 31-Jan. 1.  It seemed too long a drive to be done as a day trip, but even with two days and one night, would it be too quick a trip?  Best saved for a more leisurely visit?  My mother can't really do any trekking or hiking, so it's not like we need time for that.  But we do like to relax whenever possible.  Any food or accommodation recs for that area?

Try e-mailing Rohani Jelani rohani@cookery.net for her latest class schedule. She has a wide variety of classes www.rohanijelani.com/themes.htm and it's hands on. Have been to a few before.

Googled this one http://www.malaysia-klcookingclass.com/index.htm

Try e-mailing Rohani Jelani rohani@cookery.net for her latest class schedule. She has a wide variety of classes www.rohanijelani.com/themes.htm and it's hands on. Have been to a few before.

Googled this one http://www.malaysia-klcookingclass.com/index.htm

The latter one is the one with the trojan horse attached to it! It's not the site, itself, but the banner on the homepage. Keep away!

I'll e-mail Rohani Jelani about classes in January. The Get Crabby one looks awesome!

Piglet--Thanks for your taxi driver's number! I'll give him a call and see what his rates are.

• 1 month later...

We have arrived...Is it just me, or is KL a little expensive? We arrived in the afternoon, and just browsed a bit. We're not quite used to the money, yet, but is seems Singapore is cheaper for a lot of things we've been looking for (bags of cashews, for example).

No guide book, not much planning done (though quite a few KL-based blogs are bookmarked), and hotel internet is unreliable at best. But will hopefully get a few good food experiences out of this trip!

For any KL-based fans of Cilantro, head to Sage tonight for New Year's Dinner! It's a 6-course set of favourites from Cilantro's menu:

Wagyu Tartare with Anchovy Toast

Pan Fried Unagi with Foie Gras

Angel Hair Pasta with Mentaiko

Glazed Seabass with Shirauo

Grilled Wagyu Beef with Garlic Rice

Chocolate Cup Cake with Early Grey Ice Cream

Coffee or Tea

I think they said it was RM215++.

I'd go if it were more convenient, but it's so far from KLCC (and traffic is a b**** today!).