• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum Prices in Canada

jlo mein

Hi, I am a new member to the eGullet forum. I found this site after buying Ed Hamilton's Guide to Rum, and then visiting his website. I have recently begun my journey into enjoying rum. My goal is defintiely not to become a connoisseur, but rather a normal guy who can enjoy a good rum.

I have found some comparisons of a few prices (comparing BC Liquor Store prices to US prices I have heard of), and noticed a few are rather overpriced. Pyrat XO Reserve is one of them, retailing for $90CDN, when I have heard in the US you can get it for $20US.

Below I have a small list of rums and prices (in Canadian dollars), and am just curious if anyone finds any of them grossly overpriced compared to the American market.

Appleton Extra 12 Year $34

Bacardi 8 Year Old $31

Barbancourt 5 Star $40

Cruzan Diamond $27

Cruzan Single Barrel $50

El Dorado 15 Year $60

Flor de Cana 12 Year $40

Goslings Black Seal $30

Havana Club 7 Anos $30

Matusalem Gran Reserva $45

Mount Gay Extra Old $43

Pusser's Navy $41

Pyrat XO Reserve $90

If you would like to see the full stock of rums carried by BC Liquor Stores, you can visit their website and do a search for rum.

Just FYI: my current very small collection of rum that I have acquired over the last few months consists of Appleton VX, Bacardi 8, Cruzan Diamond, Flor de Cana 5 Year Black Label, and Mount Gay Eclipse. Out of all of them, I seem to like the Cruzan the best, with a special mention to the Appleton for having such a unique taste compared to the others.

Bottles I plan on picking up if I can find good prices (or just find stock) on them are Pyrat XO Reserve, Zacapa 23 Year, something Havana Club, a Cachaca (maybe Agua Luca), and a Rhum Agricole.

Edited by jlo mein (log)

The El Dorado 15 Year is an excellent addition to any collection. The $60CDN doesn't look to bad to me. The best price I've found it was $23US several years ago at a grocery store in St. Marteen. Sure wish I could find it here in

Virginia, it's my favorite sippin' rum!

The El Dorado 15 Year is an excellent addition to any collection.  The $60CDN doesn't look to bad to me.  The best price I've found it was $23US several years ago at a grocery store in St. Marteen.  Sure wish I could find it here in

Virginia, it's my favorite sippin' rum!

El Dorado 15 Year Old is something I want to try eventually. However at $60CDN I think there are others I want to try first like Havana Club, Gosling's Black Seal, etc.

I'm not surprised that Cruzan is one of your favorites to date. I think their Estate Diamond is their best value, not to mention their best rum.

The Appleton VX is likewise the best value from Appleton, I sip it neat when there is a limited selection behind a bar.

We're all normal guys and gals who enjoy a good glass of rum.

Pusser's seems a little high if it's their Red Label. The Blue Label is better but I wouldn't buy too many bottles at that price.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

We're all normal guys and gals who enjoy a good glass of rum.

Pusser's seems a little high if it's their Red Label. The Blue Label is better but I wouldn't buy too many bottles at that price.

From what I can see, it looks like there's only the blue label available in BC, Canada. I probably won't get any right now since I saw it listed for $23US, which makes the $40CDN price seem unreasonable. What is rather odd is the fact that the Canadian version is 84 proof, the US version is 95.5 proof, and the German version 108 proof (from the official website). :wacko:

I like to have the Appleton VX with a little water/ice, or use it as a mixer because its strong flavour can still be tasted alongside anything.

BTW, for anyone in Vancouver who is interested, I finally found a restaurant that has a decent list of rums. It is The Reef , a Caribbean restaurant near Queen Elizabeth Park. Their dinner menu is very reasonable, and they have quite a few interesting cocktails, as well as straight rums. I will probably check it out soon.

• 2 weeks later...
The El Dorado 15 Year is an excellent addition to any collection. 

Went to The Reef yesterday and it was great. Fun place with decent caribbean food. I wanted to try the Appleton 21 Year Old but they said they did not have it in stock and were having trouble getting a bottle. Instead, I ordered the El Dorado 15 Year and they cracked open a new bottle for me. It definitely tastes like a well aged rum, as it smells like smokey sweet licorice (VERY strong smell), and has a strong oak flavour, and leaves my mouth very dry. I don't have an experienced palate for rum tasting so excuse me if I am described it all wrong.

Not on the drink menu, but on the shelf I spotted the fancy glass decanter that the special Don Q comes in. Not able to buy Don Q at the stores here, I ordered it and found it quite pleasing. It has very little aroma, and starts off with a rich buttery taste, then finishes smooth. I find the buttery start to be very similar to my Cruzan Diamond.

I don't think I will be buying a bottle of the El Dorado 15 Year Old. I can tell it probably is a very good product, but for my amateur tastes at the moment, it is very strong. I do wish I could buy that Don Q, however it is not for sale here and am unsure of it's availability in the US.

I think I'm going to be visiting The Reef again sometime to sample even more rums. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
I think I'm going to be visiting The Reef again sometime to sample even more rums. :smile:

Ah, sounds like a great place! If only I had found it when I lived around there... :shock:

If I remember correctly, the QE park was very close to the main liquor store in BC (along the same street and about half a mile apart). Is the Reef also along this same street?

(if it is, I must have driven past it a few times... :sad: )

If I remember correctly, the QE park was very close to the main liquor store in BC (along the same street and about half a mile apart). Is the Reef also along this same street?

The Reef is on Main Street, close to Prince Edward Ave. It is on the east side of QE Park, and slightly north of it. I believe the large liquor store you are talking about is the one on Cambie St that's west of QE Park and slightly south.

I did happen to go back to the Reef this past weekend. Tried their Akee and Salt Cod dish which was interesting and quite good. Also tried Gosling's Black Seal for the first time. Tasted pretty good neat, but didn't work at all with the lime wedge I added after.

Didn't have much to drink as I headed to a small get together afterwards with a bottle of Appleton VX. Everyone was quite surprised with it and enjoyed it thoroughly, commenting that although the taste was prominent, it went down much smoother than Bacardi (their reference).

• 4 weeks later...
The Reef is on Main Street, close to Prince Edward Ave.  It is on the east side of QE Park, and slightly north of it.  I believe the large liquor store you are talking about is the one on Cambie St that's west of QE Park and slightly south.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. The liquor store was indeed on Cambie... Now, I cannot but hope to be able to visit Vancouver again soon to visit the Reef...

Didn't have much to drink as I headed to a small get together afterwards with a bottle of Appleton VX.  Everyone was quite surprised with it and enjoyed it thoroughly, commenting that although the taste was prominent, it went down much smoother than Bacardi (their reference).

That's pretty much the reaction of all those whose only reference is Bacardi to any other decent rum out there... and V/X is pretty good, after all, given its price!