• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate bread in Vancouver

lemontart

Anyone know where in Vancouver we can find something similar to the Calebaut chocolate loaf we get that Rhys Pender & Alishan Driediger make at Okanagan Grocery in Kelowna??

http://www.okanagangrocery.com/index_files/page0007.htm

We will be staying at our condo in Yaletown for two weeks starting this weekend and I think we might have withdrawal symptoms if we don't have chocolate bread for that long!!! :shock:

This bread is highly addicitve, and it is nothing like pain au chocolat that you see in most bakeries. There are chunks of dark chocolate throughout, and the bread dough is also chocolate.

have yet to meet a lemon tart I didn't like!

Anyone know where in Vancouver we can find something similar to the Calebaut chocolate loaf we get that Rhys Pender & Alishan Driediger make at Okanagan Grocery in Kelowna?? 

http://www.okanagangrocery.com/index_files/page0007.htm

We will be staying at our condo in Yaletown for two weeks starting this weekend and I think we might have withdrawal symptoms if we don't have chocolate bread for that long!!!  :shock:

This bread is highly addicitve, and it is nothing like pain au chocolat that you see in most bakeries.  There are chunks of dark chocolate throughout, and the bread dough is also chocolate.

If you can't find a similar one in Vancouver, why not just buy a bunch and freeze them? They give detailed instructions on freezing and thawing on their website.

I know reheated from frozen bread isn't the same as fresh, but it's better than no bread at all!

i've never ahd the bread you're referring to from kelowna but tera breads has a white chocolate bread and dark chocolate bread. probably quite closeto what you're referring to

I'd 2nd this bread choice.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I've not had the Kelowna bread so can't draw any direct comparisons, but the chocolate babka at Solly's is bread with really yummy chocolate throughout. Might do in a pinch. As an added bonus, they also sell the chocolate babka spread separately for extra chocolatey goodness :biggrin:

Cheers,

T

"Great women are like fine wine...they only get better with age."

terra breads has a white chocolate bread and dark chocolate bread. probably quite close to what you're referring to

Terra Breads has a white Chocolate/Blueberry foccacia.

They also have a Biscoiti with some Chocolate but no Chocolate Bread of any kind :unsure:

I've not had the Kelowna bread so can't draw any direct comparisons, but the chocolate babka at Solly's is bread with really yummy chocolate throughout. Might do in a pinch. As an added bonus, they also sell the chocolate babka spread separately for extra chocolatey goodness  :biggrin:

Cheers,

T

Where is Solly's. Sounds wonderful. Would like the address.

Samasutra :rolleyes:

Never met a vegetable I never liked except well okra!

I've not had the Kelowna bread so can't draw any direct comparisons, but the chocolate babka at Solly's is bread with really yummy chocolate throughout. Might do in a pinch. As an added bonus, they also sell the chocolate babka spread separately for extra chocolatey goodness  :biggrin:

Cheers,

T

Where is Solly's. Sounds wonderful. Would like the address.

Samasutra :rolleyes:

Here are the addresses:

Solly's Bagelry Limited

189 E 28th Ave, Vancouver, BC V5V2M3

2873 West Broadway

368 West 7th Ave (this is the newer, bigger one)

My personal favourite is the one around Main and 28th as I believe it is the original Solly's. It is quite small though so better for pickup. On nice days, they have a few chairs outside.

Let me know what you think. If you like chocolate, I would also highly recommend the chocolate rugula. Yum!! :raz:

Cheers,

T

"Great women are like fine wine...they only get better with age."

• 5 months later...
terra breads has a white chocolate bread and dark chocolate bread. probably quite close to what you're referring to

Terra Breads has a white Chocolate/Blueberry foccacia.

They also have a Biscoiti with some Chocolate but no Chocolate Bread of any kind :unsure:

Yeah, it's a white chocolate blueberry foccacia, and it's pretty nice. Not too sweet. :smile: However it's the size of a danish. (I personally enjoy their dried fruit and pecan loaf more!) :wub: