• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baby's first food in China

malika

I'm the mother of an almost-six-month-old, and I'm thinking a lot about how to raise a daughter with a good palette. Rice cereal (the traditional first food in America) doesn't seem like a good start-- I certainly wouldn't eat it very happily.

So I'm wondering about other countries and other traditions-- What's the traditional first food for babies in China?

(I'm also going to post this in the following forums: Italy, Spain, Japan, India, France, Middle East, and Mexico. Apologies to those who run across this question in other places!)

Edited by malika (log)

Rice porridge is good, cooked in stock.

My parents use to mix rice with what ever soup was made that night for dinner and then also add softer veggies and protiens (tofu) to the rice to make it more nutritious and tasty.

My grandfather also use to make a plain steamed egg custard (salt, pepper, sesame oil) for all the grandkids. You can also make that and mix it with rice. :wub: Yummm....I still do that when I feel the need for comfort foods.

Back in the village a lot of mothers and grandmothers used to chew whatever they were having for dinner and feed it to the weanling. Sounds gross but maybe a lot more nutritious and chemical free than modern bottled baby foods.

Yes, this is true. I kinda left that bit out so that I wouldn't gross anyone out. :raz:

My mom did that for my brother and I when we were in China. It's a common pratice over there. If you don't like the idea of chewing up your food first for your child, then do what my Russian friend does. She uses a blender and blends soup or other foods into tiny pieces and then feeds them to her children. None of her children (ages 4 and 2) like fast food or bottled food or candy very much because they grew up eating healthy foods. :laugh: