• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Wine Suggestion

msphoebe

I'm going to prepare pan roasted halibut with prosciutto, lemon, and capers. I need a white wine to add to the roasting pan, and plan to serve the same wine to drink with dinner.

I'm thinking either a Chardonnay or even a Pinot Grigio....but as a novice in the area of wine pairing am looking for suggestions.

Thanks for any help.

One big problem with Chardonnay in cooking is that it's often very oaky, which will add an odd flavor to something deletact like halibut. If you decide to use Chardonnay, pick one that is not oaked.

As for Pinot Grigio, much of what is available in the U.S. is so bland that you might as well use water.

I would probably opt for either a good Chenin Blanc or Sauvignon Blanc, both for cooking and to serve the fish with.

As W.C. Fields said, "I always cook with wine; sometimes I even put it in the food!"

Douglas Collins

Hermosa Beach, California

Un dîner sans vin est comme un jour sans soleil.

If you do the Sauv Blanc, make sure it is a more acidic example of the genre. The saltiness from the prosciutto and capers and the acidity from the lemon need that balance.

I'd suggest a Gavi or an Orvieto from Italy, an Australian Semillon or a Gruner Veltliner from Austria as other possibilities.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'd use Picpoul de Pinet, from the Languedoc. It's evidently made from the picpoul blanc grape, and it a fantastic white for the price (about $11) as you can cook with it and it's also a pleasure to drink. It loves fish, and would be excellent with the Mediterranean flavors of your halibut.

'I would probably opt for either a good Chenin Blanc or Sauvignon Blanc, both for cooking and to serve the fish with.'

'If you do the Sauv Blanc, make sure it is a more acidic example of the genre. The saltiness from the prosciutto and capers and the acidity from the lemon need that balance.

I'd suggest a Gavi or an Orvieto from Italy, an Australian Semillon or a Gruner Veltliner from Austria as other possibilities.'

My first thought was the Sauv Blanc, but I was actually thinking the acid might be too much, with the lemon. Now I'm lean towards the Chenin Blanc (but I think the Semillon might be nice too).

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will make a list and see what my local wine store has to offer from your suggestions.

I appreciate you all taking the time to explain why a certain wine would pair well with the dish I'm preparing (or why it wouldn't). I'm all about the learning process! Thanks again.

Counterintuitively, acidic foods need an acidic wine to balance them. Try a sip of Sauvignon Blanc with a vinaigrette dressed salad some time and you'll see what I mean. In wine/food pairing 1+1 does not equal 2. 1+1=0. The acidity sort of cancels each other out rather than being screechingly sour.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol