• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Publishing

You mention in the "Interviews" topic that you visited Daniel a few times before writing your proposal. Was it hard to find a publisher for this book?

Would you have gone on with the project if no publisher had signed it on based only on the proposal? Do you think that the success of Kitchen Confidential made it easier for The Fourth Star to be signed on by a publishing company?

Thank you.

Anne E. McBride

It was not hard to find a publisher for this book--Clarkson Potter had the intelligence, forsight and taste :biggrin: to make an offer right away. If no publisher had shown interest, it would not have been possible for me to continue with the book, since I needed to pay my rent, put food on the table, and buy clothes for my kid. :blush: Sad, but true.

Interesting point about Kitchen Confidential. Actually, Kitchen Confidential had not yet been published when I sold my book to Clarkson Potter. (Nor had Michael Ruhlman's Soul of a Chef.) If Kitchen Confidential had been published, I believe I would have had a much easier time--a bidding war, perhaps? The deal I made was not huge, sad to say, because, as the publishers said at the time, there hadn't been a bestselling book in the category (narrative nonfiction about food).