• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Butter Decadence

Caroline923

Take a Ritz Cracker, spread with peanut butter, top with a whole marshmellow.  Run under the broiler until the marshmellow is toasted to a golden brown.  Pop into mouth while still warm.  Repeat as necessary.

PS:  The peanut butter burgers look interesting.  I wonder how it would be with some five spice powder added.....

PB burgers work well with just about any spice you want to add. This is the basic recipe and you can adjust to taste. Just no eggs, crumbs or other filler, and chill them well if you can ahead of time. the peanut butter adds enough extra fat to yield a really juicy burger - and they don't taste like peanut butter.

I made them using some Everglades Seasoning, a salt/spice/msg blend, and I'm 100% sold on the recipe! The burgers, which I pan fried, were nice and juicy, and there was a slight peanut flavor to the crust, which was more noticable when I just ate the lleftover one cold.

I'm thinking of using this trick with meatloaf.

SB (amazed :wub: )

On white bread, with a heartworm pill tucked into the middle.  (The dogs asked me to add that.  :laugh: )

I've noticed how much dogs like peanut butter, except for the fact it's a bit sticky on the palate, so I incorporated it as one of my home made dog biscuit flavors.

They were very well recieved.

SB (yeah, like dogs are fussy eaters? :wink: )

I love PB on or in anything, but the best, most peanut-buttery cookie has got to be what we call the 1-1-1 cookie in our house. It's simple:

1 cup chunky or smooth peanut butter

1 cup sugar

1 large egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients until blended. Divide dough into 25 balls on a greased or lined cookie-sheet. Flatten slightly. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or just until tops are dry and edges start to harden. Remove from oven. Cool to room temperature. Makes 25 two-inch cookies.

I've been killing some time Googling around for unusual peanut butter recipes. I was going tell you about the Peanut Butter & Jelly Pizza :shock: until I came across this thread about odd food combinations on a site called lavamind :

"My husband grosses the rest of us out with his famous Peanut butter sandwiches...it can be anything from Peanut Butter and Eggs on toast, to Peanut Butter and Mashed Potatoe sandwiches...but the very worst of them is Peanut Butter and Fish, YUCK! and maybe with a layer of soda crackers in there as well. Pam, Ont. Canada" :wacko:

SB (Note: another Canadian. :hmmm: )

Update on peanut butter cake:

12 yr old says: dry( this is a buttercake) and, get this, 'too peanutbuttery...like a reese's but heavy on the butter'.

so all the pb fans out there... loose 1/4c of the real butter...add veg. oil inplace. I'd try it again tomorrow, but I have a special birthday request.

I have downloaded the pic's, but I can't figure out how to add them tonite. If you need to know, though, it's a different crumb. very flakey. I may have overmixed. use condensed milk instead of milk in the cake. I really think this will add the richness the cake needs without screwing it up.

I had to do a lot of brushing before trying to frost. try another choc. sauce, instead of the store stuff. (I have a killer one). Frosting too was too thick, heavy on the syrupy sweet cloying taste, but deconstructed could probably be pretty cool.

I think: the cake is salvageable with the 1/4 c of oil, the choc. frosting should be a glaze with nothing to do with peanut butter and basically we have a whole new recipe for the world. I swear I will make these corrections and let inquireing minds know.(so, does that take the cake?)

If anyone else has favorite peanut butter cookie recipes, couldja post or PM them? I have FOUND A STORE THAT SELLS PEANUT BUTTER and plan to indulge my craving tomorrow when it's open.

Peanut butter cookies are the perfect dessert after steamed mussels, right?

...right?

...right?

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Peanut butter and bananas, with or without the sandwich part! But especially this way: Place on a plate a decent spoonful of peanut butter, one firm banana sliced into rounds, and a pile of nicely crisp crumbled bacon. Spear banana with fork, roll in peanut butter, and dip into bacon bits.

I found Peanut Butter & Company's The Heat Is On at a grocery store in Milwaukee while I was helping my college-bound son stock his apartment for the coming school year. It's got a good kick to it but doesn't go particularly well with Welch's grape jelly (of which I bought a great quantity to obtain a complete collection of Curious George jars). However, I think the hamburger idea might work beautifully for this stuff! I was also thinking of using it for Asian-style noodles.

Edited for baaad splllng

Edited by chile_peppa (log)
"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

I know this is weird, but when I was in kindergarten, my best friend's mom used to make us peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with potato chips. Yes, the potato chips were layered on top of the jelly, inside the sandwich. Everyone I've ever told about it makes this face: :wacko: , but I tell you, they're wonderful. Don't try this on artisanal bread, though - cheap supermarket bread is the gold standard.

Peanut butter and bananas, with or without the sandwich part! But especially this way: Place on a plate a decent spoonful of  peanut  butter, one firm banana sliced into rounds, and a pile of nicely crisp crumbled bacon. Spear banana with fork, roll in peanut butter, and dip into bacon bits.

Another variation on the peanut butter and banana riff is french toast. Just make a peanut butter and banana sandwich, dip it in egg batter, and fry it up. Simmer some chopped pecans and bourbon with maple syrup and top.

I found  Peanut Butter & Company's The Heat Is On at a grocery store in Milwaukee while I was helping my college-bound son stock his apartment for the coming school year. It's got a good kick to it but doesn't  go particularly well with Welch's grape jelly (of which I bought a great quantity to obtain a complete collection of Curious George jars). However, I think the hamburger idea might work beautifully for this stuff! I was also thinking of using it for Asian-style noodles.

I've never seen spicy peanut butter before! I bet it would be perfect in PB burgers.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Toast, fried egg and peanut butter sandwich is my favorite.

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

My West Virginia Granny made Peanut Butter Fudge that we would eat by the plateful. It is one of those things, like her biscuits, that no one else will ever seem to get just right...and oh I've tried.

Anybody have their own closely guarded recipies for the stuff?

Drink maker, heart taker!

My West Virginia Granny made Peanut Butter Fudge that we would eat by the plateful.  It is one of those things, like her biscuits, that no one else will ever seem to get just right...and oh I've tried.

Anybody have their own closely guarded recipies for the stuff?

People have different ideas of what fudge should be like, but my preference is for ultra-creamy, slightly soft fudge. I tried several recipes for PB fudge, and by far the best recipe has been one shared in the Pastry and Baking forum by eGullet user devinf. His recipe is as follows:

2 lb. sugar

4 oz. corn syrup

4 oz. milk

12 oz. cream

1 oz. butter

1/2 oz. vanilla extract

3 oz. peanut butter

Combine cream and milk, then take out 8 oz.

Combine sugar, corn syrup and 8 oz. cream/milk. Cook to 230F

Add the butter and slowly add rest of milk/cream. Cook to 236F

Pour onto marble and put peanut butter onto fudge, do not stir. let it cool to 120F

Mix the fudge and peanut butter (I "table" it) until it thickens, then pour into a frame or container before portioning.

If you're doing your fudge in a large pan (like me) and not on a marble slab, let it cool to about 120F, then add you vanilla, then stir like crazy just until the fudge starts to lose its gloss, then scoop it into your container. It can be tricky, because if you stir a little too long, the fudge will get very firm, and you'll have a hard time getting in the pan. If that happens, just cover your hands with something, and form the fudge into the pan. I usually use a loaf pan, either a silicone loaf pan, or a metal loaf pan lined with plastic wrap. This fudge is slightly soft, and will cut better if you chill it first.

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

How about on pretzels, especially with that bottom of the bag salt? Or on a toasted pretzel bagle from Bialeys bakery (University Heights, OH).

There is a very distinct possibility that I have consumed at least one peanut butter and something sandwich for every day that I have lived.

Dan

I love peanut butter and butter sandwiches, or peanut butter on toast with just about anything - jelly, honey, butter, or plain. I just love it when it gets all melty.

The only time I like chunky PB is with apples.

I also like s'mores with peanut butter added, or even just dipping good chunks of chocolate in pb with a sprinkle of salt on top.

My husband's favorite is a homemade "blizzard" - vanilla ice cream, tons of pb, a little malt powder, and some crushed oreos. That, or the no-bake cookies mentioned above!

We also have a weakness for anything with a peanut sauce - whether it's Thai or African or well, anything! I make a sweet potato/white potato/hot pepper/spinach stew with penaut butter that's a favorite, and a pasta salad that uses a Thai peanut sauce along with chunks of chicken or tofu, shredded cabbage and carrots, bean sprouts, basil, cilantro, and green onions.

Edited by amccomb (log)

My Husband spreads pb on whole marshmallows and treats them as a sort of dessert canape.

I sneered until he made me try one.

Damn him.

It was good.

That sounds like an awesome, improvised fluffer-nutter (I am referring to the awesome combination of marshmellow fluff and peanut butter, spread on wonder bread. Pronounced "Fluffah-Nuttah" Seriously awesome, requires milk. But that could be the New Englander coming out in me.)

you could even fancy it up by putting the peanut-butter spread marshmellow on a cut out circle of white bread toast (cut into a crustless circle).

My brother eats peanut butter by taking a very large spoonfull, covering it with chocolate chips, and eating it like an ice cream cone.

If you gave my girlfriend a jar of peanut sauce and a spoon, she would be a very happy woman indeed.

Myself, I like it straight, with a spoon. perhaps with ice cream.

s

Galletas de mantiquilla de cacahuete, Madrid style!

gallery_8920_3589_329121.jpg

I ended up using Mom's recipe, which has been my favorite since I was little. :wub: In spite of having no measuring cups or spoons (you don't want to know. Till today, we had no mixing bowl. How the hell did my compañera de piso survive four years in this apartment with no mixing bowls?) and having to improvise the measurements and figure out the temperature conversion (thank goodness for online converters), Angela (one of my rooomates and fellow lamenters of the lack of kitchen supplies) pronounced these excellent (and peanut butter really seems to be a very American taste, I have noticed that, like root beer, it doesn't appeal to many European palates).

Here's the recipe:

Mix thoroughly:

1/2 cup soft shortening (may be half butter)

1/2 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 egg

Sift together and stir in:

1 1/4 cups sifted flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

Chill dough. Roll into balls the size of large walnuts. Place 3" apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Flatten with a fork dipped in flour in a criss cross pattern. Bake until set, but not hard.

Temperature: 375 degrees

Time: Bake 10 to 12 minutes

Amount: about 3 dozen 2 1/2 " cookies (I never get that many.)

This recipe may also be made honey in place of brown sugar. Substitute 1/2 cup honey for the brown sugar and reduce the shortening to 1/4 cup.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Yay Kathleen! Yo go girl. It's been years since I made PB cookies. Hmmm, maybe tomorrow would be a good day to try these.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

(heavy sigh) What doesn't go with peanut butter? :wub: Celery, yes, apples, bananas, chocolate, yes, yes, yes, my fave split grilled bagel with PB, crispy bacon and rasberry jam, the classic JUST A SPOON and then there is the famous Pammy's Peanut Butter Super Duper that I've been making since I was four years old. Take four saltine crackers and layer them up with peanut butter and butter and stack them to where you have to squish them a bit to even fit it in your mouth. In grade school the girls in my Campfire Girls group knicknamed me Peanut Butter Pammy. There were a couple that still called me Peanut Butter in high school. Chocolate is the food of the Gods? I think it's a tight race between that and peanut butter.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."