• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Butter Decadence

Caroline923

I love PB. Plain straight outta the jar, always a stand-by. Love it on warm toasted bread...the PB gets all oozzy-gooey...mmmmm

Great on saltines or ritz crackers, great for a PB and Jelly sandwhich of course...yummy when melted and drizzled (okay poured) over vanilla ice cream....MMM Peanut Butter is amazing. So versitile!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I just decided on a recipe for 'chocolate protein cake' to make for the weekend. You got it..the protein is peaunut butter!!

Also has a wicked looking icing with karo, choc.sauce (for icecream) and something else. Butter maybe. If anyone's curious, I'll post the recipe and let you know how it comes out tonight.

YES - do post - so much more intriguing than the celery concept!!

I have not made it yet as I am out of cake flour, but will post back tonight with results.

Cake

3 cups sifted cake flour

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup us softened butter

2 cups sugar

4 large eggs

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup milk

350 oven

grease and flour 2 9" cake pans. sift flour w/bp and salt

cream butter and sugar, add eggs 1 @ a time. beat in peanut butter and vanilla until light. @ low speed beat in flour mix alternately with milk until smooth and spread in pans. bake 30-35 minutes. let cool.

frosting

1 cup prepared chocolate syrup

1 cup creamy peanut butter

1/4 cup light corn syrup

beat syrup and peanut butter till smooth then add corn syrup. beat until thick enough to spread.

frost cake as the usual, add chopped peanuts if wanted for garnish.

if you choose to make this before I do, please tell about the frosting....

YES - do post - so much more intriguing than the celery concept!!

Hey! Don't knock it till you've tried it. :raz:

Grand Old Party Celery

mise en place

1 stalk - Celery

1 Tbl (approx) - Peanut Butter, Creamy or Crunchy

Trim white portion from bottom and leaves from top of Celery stalk (reserve leaves for green salad/soup.)

Using a small flat knife, spread Peanut Butter in groove of stalk approximately level with edges of groove.

Eat a disposition

Repeat as necessary depending on appetite or number of guests.

PB, very thinly sliced onion rings, lettuce (not iceburg Pllllllllease), toasted h.w. bread. Assemble in usual way except lightly salt the onion rings. YUM. ..... my kids think I'm nuts but so what.

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

Standard homemade brownie mix + 1 microwaved jar of peanut butter

As the FTV folks would say, fold, don't mix, it in.  Bake as normal.

Excuse me... I need to go make some brownies.

Just want to make sure here--- is that the total ingredients used? Just the mix and PB? And what size jar of PB? Details man, details!! :raz:

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Time was when I too would just inhale peanut butter by the spoonful straight from the jar. Not something I can get away with doing anymore but, dang, that was some good eating.

I think my all-time favorite use of peanut butter is in that classic super-simple recipe for no-bake "cookies" (actually more like confections) from the back of the Hershey's unsweetened cocoa box. This recipe appears to be a close paraphrase.

It's been quite a long while, but I used to make gado-gado using peanut butter in the sauce--which is admittedly a not-so-authentic shortcut, but I remember it being pretty darned yummy all the same.

(Oddly, I don't care for PBJ sandwiches all that much. Dunno why. Probably because I would much rather have a sammich built on animal protein.)

Edited by mizducky (log)

Hardly decadent, but I made a Chinese style sauce (using peanut butter instead of sesame seed paste, since I was out of the latter) to serve atop cold chicken and noodles tonight. Lots of garlic and toasted, ground szechuan peppercorns in the sauce. Julienned cukes to cool it down.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I am a huge fan both of the classic peanut butter cookie (complete with waffley pattern on top made by your fork) and of Baskin-Robbins' (and yes, it has to be theirs) Peanut Butter & Chocolate ice cream. :wub: :wub: :wub:

In fact peanut butter, In-n-Out burger and REALLY spicy foods, are pretty much the only things I miss about living in the USA.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

But what kind of peanut butter? I have restricted myself to all natural, which I still enjoy for the flavour, texture, and protein fix, yet occasionally I long for "junky" peanut butter, smooth from Kraft. The new Kraft label boasts "no trans fats!" and yet lists hydrogenated vegetable oil as an ingredient. How can this be so???

When "under the influence" (cough), one of my favorite treats was peanut butter and chocolate cookie sandwiches. Being peanut butter smeared between two chocolate chip cookies, not chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter on bread, although...

A fairly common party snack here in Texas is pickled jalapenoes stuffed with peanut butter, spicy vinegary peanut buttery good.

I also used to serve Peanut Butter and Banana Pancakes on a brunch menu. Add diced bananas and peanut butter chips to a basic pancake batter.

Take a Ritz Cracker, spread with peanut butter, top with a whole marshmellow. Run under the broiler until the marshmellow is toasted to a golden brown. Pop into mouth while still warm. Repeat as necessary.

PS: The peanut butter burgers look interesting. I wonder how it would be with some five spice powder added.....

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Take a Ritz Cracker, spread with peanut butter, top with a whole marshmellow.  Run under the broiler until the marshmellow is toasted to a golden brown.  Pop into mouth while still warm.  Repeat as necessary.

PS:  The peanut butter burgers look interesting.  I wonder how it would be with some five spice powder added.....

PB burgers work well with just about any spice you want to add. This is the basic recipe and you can adjust to taste. Just no eggs, crumbs or other filler, and chill them well if you can ahead of time. the peanut butter adds enough extra fat to yield a really juicy burger - and they don't taste like peanut butter.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.