• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining Between Raleigh and Chapel Hill

Guilty Gourmand

Have 4 people all coming from different points in the Triangle that are looking to have dinner somewhere off of I-40 between Chapel Hill and Raleigh. I don't get out of Raleigh much anymore. Are there some good dining choices around the Streets of Southpoint area (other than the usual chain suspects), around the 54 /55 interchange, or RTP that would be good for dinner. Not looking for fine dining really--just solid dining away from a chain. Thanks.

Forget Southpoint if you don't want chains. 54/55 has a ton of funky ethnic places. I've been hearing good things about Vit Goal (sp) Korean tofu place. I can't echo the good things I've heard about Chosun OK Korean as my experience wasn't so hot. Also good words on Jamaica Jamaica and a South American place in the same area. Certainly not fine dining, maybe even less so than you were expecting.

Have 4 people all coming from different points in the Triangle that are looking to have dinner somewhere off of I-40 between Chapel Hill and Raleigh.  I don't get out of Raleigh much anymore.  Are there some good dining choices around the Streets of Southpoint area (other than the usual chain suspects), around the 54 /55 interchange, or RTP that would be good for dinner.  Not looking for fine dining really--just solid dining away from a chain.  Thanks.

I've always enjoyed Chosun OK, but I think it varies greatly dish by dish. The Eel was good, the Dol Sat Bi Bim Bap was very good, the short ribs were just ok, and the pork belly with fresh oysters was just odd to my western palate. Almost next door though is an Indian restaurant called The Spice House which serves some of the best non-vegetarian Indian in the area. Carmen's Cuban Restaurant off of Airport Blvd. is as good Cuban as you're going to find in the area, and I've always enjoyed it for what it is, this not being a hughly Cuban populated area.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

That whole Chatham sq area of Cary has a great "little India"

feeling with several good eateries, grocery stores and other shops.

Cool Breeze chaat, wonderful biryanis in the shop across the street,

great Bangla sweet shop, etc.

Milagai

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everybody's suggestions. Sorry for my late reply. We actually ended up at Babymoon Cafe as most of the folks in the group knew where that was. Although not as adventurous as some of the other options along that stretch, it was a nice meal and worked out well for our group. Thanks again for everybody's suggestions.

Yes, there are both, but where in Raleigh will you be?  We can then get you somewhere close to that.

The client is in downtown and I will be staying at the Sheraton in E Salisbury. I don't mind venturing outside of downtown.

I stay at that Sheraton alot since I travel to Raleigh often (and lived in Raleigh for 6 years). I can't answer the coffee question as I don't drink coffee all that often. Most of the downtown restaurants are closed after lunch, so I'm not sure if you're asking about lunch or dinner. If lunch, again I'm not sure. For dinner, the Borough is 5-6 blocks away and has pretty decent burgers, and the Flying Saucer is one block further, which has a wide beer selection and some decent food (the pizzas are one of their better items). Going a little further, South Glenwood is walkable in about 20 minutes, which may mean you would want to drive. It's mostly bars and such, though one of the state's better restaurants is in the stretch as well, Enoteca Vin.

A little further up Glenwood is the Five Points area, which has Luna Pizza, which is quite good as well.

I'm mostly drawing a blank for sandwhich shops though... Sandwhiches are typically lunch, not dinner, for me which means I'm up in N. Raleigh and tend to just hit a Subway or a Panera if I'm in the mood for a sandwhich.

Edited by treznor (log)

there is a coffee place in the Sheraton, which serves Starbucks, I think. Also, a couple blocks down Fayetteville Street is Port CIty Java...a local chain. Coffee is pretty good, but their fresh "sqeezed" apple juice, for me, is the best reason to go there. For coffee, I would recommend Morning Times on Hargett(walking from Sheraton, down F. STreet, right on Hargett). Good coffee and GREAT french pastry. Just opened, but local place and very good so far.

For lunch, there is Riviera on Wilmington, near Hargett, where you can get a GREAT lunch for about $12, although not sandwiches. Next to Morning Times is Times BAr, which has good burger, sandwiches, etc. Sosta Cafe, which is on Cabarrus, I think, the other side of F. STreet from the Sheraton, has great fresh sandwiches and salads. THey also have good coffee and probably, now that I think about it, closest to you. They serve Illy, I think. I second Treznor's recs. too.

Edited by VaNC (log)